• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Just Grab Ledge"

Schwamus

Smash Cadet
So I think we all have heard the title phrase before. Here's the thing, I only really know a few (mostly inefficient) ways to do so.
-wavedash/land back onto ledge
-SH backwards onto ledge
-some character specific ones like Jiggly's sing/ rollout or Marth's side-b/ bair

Generally I'm finding that it's more reliable to just onstage edgeguard for me since getting to the ledge quickly is a rather big hole in my game. So what are some better ways to grab ledge? As any character, though I play ganon/puff and some samus.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
As a Ganondorf player, wavedashing backwards to the ledge is probably your best option. If you're really technical, you could always try moonwalking off it.

Watch what Bizarro Flame is doing in this vid:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I'm pretty sure all characters can PC drop to the ledge. I'm not sure how to explain it, so just look it up for details. It's really fast if you're near the ledge.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
none of the ways you listed are particularly inefficient. you shouldn't be looking for "better" ways to do it; just practice those methods until they're fast fluid and reliable for you.

wavedash back -> fastfall to ledge is by far the most common way to edgehog, because it's quick and simple.

its only major shortcoming is that if you're facing the ledge you can't simply wavedash towards it. you have to either dashdance or pivot first to move towards the ledge and turnaround and then wavedash backwards and fastfall; this complicates the input slightly and takes some extra time, but it's still one of the fastest ways to get there without being unreasonably difficult to execute reliably. you can also wavedash forward towards the ledge and soft turnaround (or buffer turnaround) and then fastfall to the ledge, but i seldom see people do this other than Luigi and Marth players.

the other staple method is shorthop back -> fastfall, which is a bit slower but also gives you more of a chance to change your mind if you react to, say, your opponent doublejumping as soon as you start going for the ledge. and you can still dash toward the ledge and pivot -> shorthop back -> fastfall if you need to reposition and turnaround first in order to get there.

as far as character specific stuff for you, with puff you should be able to just run offstage and (probably fastfall) then jump turnaround to the ledge. ganon and samus are probably mostly wavedash and waveland stuff from the main stage or platforms.

Last edited:

Schwamus

Smash Cadet
I guess where I usually have trouble am when i am facing the ledge and am trying to cover a phantasm/ whatever the fox equivalent is by edgehogging. For ganon I guess I can waveland/ moonwalk off because that also covers the "swag all over your opponent" option and samus/ puff aren't generally a problem. I mainly just wanted to know some other options to have in my mind. Thanks for your suggestions and hell i guess I should just get in the habit of having my back to the ledge (especially since almost all of Ganon's good edgeguarding moves are behind him)

Y-L

Smash Champion
When you wavedash to grab the ledge, fast falling makes a huge difference. Ganon may not want to grab the ledges all the time since he can't ledge hop aerial (besides uair which has a very strict timing). A lot of his edge guards are more successful on stage such as the back end of uair, bair, ftilt, jab, dtilt to fair ect.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
I think Link has some of the coolest fast ledge options:

Bomb throw ledge grab
reverse Zair drift back to ledge cancel grab
Running up b cancel to ledge grab
Has an easy moonwalk to ledge grab
And air dodge hooskshot sweetspot ledge grab

Yoshi probably has one of the fastest with his fall off > turnaround DJC ledge grab

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Just PC drop, it's basically just walking towards the ledge and pivoting last second, it's super easy and efficient.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
okay, seriously

Mew2King's Stat List Walk Speed Rankings said:
16-17) Mewtwo = Samus

23) Ganondorf

24-25) Zelda > Jigglypuff
PC dropping is not going to be your best option rofl

Last edited:
Top Bottom