• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just got PM, where do I start?

Ice_21

Smash Rookie
NNID
iceegg12345
Just got PM on my laptop, which can run Dolphin at 60 fps, so I'll be able to play netplay whenever I feel like I'm ready, but I have some questions. I've never played Melee or Brawl competitively, only been to Xanadu for Smash 4 twice, but PM already feels really good to me. I'm not really sure where to start in terms of learning things. I feel comfortable with Squirtle and Mario right now, but don't know anything at all about MUs and character specific things. I guess I could just use a beginner's guide of some sort.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Go to training and run around on bf for a bit, get used to how jumping, moving, landing, grabbing ledges, etc... All feels.

I'd suggest sticking to Mario at first, as you get used to game engine and mechanics. Once you get the feel of general movement, start working on consistent short hops and fast falls with aerials. Once you can do that pretty solidly, start really planning out your lcancels with aerials, on whiff and on hit. Combine your short hop and fast fall with the lcancelling, and you can shffl.

Work on doing that primarily in gameplay. Get used to doing tilts when you want, especially utilt vs usmash vs jump uair.

That's the best basic stuff to work on.

Top Bottom