• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just got melee yesterday, help.

DankeyKang65

Smash Rookie
I just picked up melee yesterday and am looking to play it competitively. What are the steps of techniques I should learn? I can wavedash, obviously not too good, but I can do it. I can short hop. What are the next things I should learn? I'm using fox at the moment. Sorry if this is already a thread, I'm new here and don't really know how it works lol.

Pauer

The Pauerful
Usually beginners are advised to see the beginner section of the melee library, a huge collection of melee-related links.

The most important links are probably SleepyK's Beginner Guide and Wak's advanced how to play.

Here I would add that MookieRah's Basic Tech Skill guide gives a pretty good order in which to learn tech skill as a beginner. IMO everything mentioned in that guide is all you'll want to practice for a good amount of time.

I also think Tafokint's Zero to Hero series deals with improvement that isn't necessarily tech-skill related very well (or better than anything I've seen so far).

EmpireCrusher203

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-7161-9170
SSBMTutorials, my dude. TONS of information on most characters and techskill. Once you have decided on a main, STICK TO THIS MAIN. It better be a fun main though, if not then melee will become boring. Then go to SSBMTutorials, on YouTube, and watch all the videos on your main. If you can't decide, they also have a series of introducing characters to newcomers, you should give it a watch and see which character suits you.

Also, check out the melee library, posted above, TONS of information, more than SSBMTuts.

I recommend either choosing Capt. Falcon, Marth, or Sheik, as these three are easy (cough sheik) and teach you the fundamentals of melee. You should prioritze Short Hopping and Fastfalling. These techs are vital, and they give you more control over your character, and in a game like melee, movement is essential. Once this is done, you will want to learn L-Cancelling, the single tech that is responsible for melee's fast paced metagame. MASTER L-CANCELLING, and then move on to Dash Dancing, a tech that is useful, and easy, in the neutral. Then learn wavedashing and wavelanding, which expands your movement options. Next learn Shield Grabbing, Shield Dropping, and waveshielding, essential techs to use in defensive play. These are arguable to the most basic and useful techs in melee, and you should learn them ALL. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. Spend 30 minutes each day practicing these. After this you may move on to more situational techs, all of which are listed in Wak's Advanced Guide, found in the Melee Library.

Finally, play A LOT and FREQUENTLY. Preferably against a friend, or on netplay, as humans play differently than CPUs. This is how you will form your playstyle and neutral, so its vital to begin this early on. Don't get discourage if you lose, because Melee is HARD, it's takes on average 2 years to git gud at this game, so please, be patient.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Just playing the game is the best way to get good, but I would recommend trying to do a lot of research of the competitive aspects of the game and watch a lot of melee.

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
Play single player to the extent of trying characters out, being familiar with all your characters moves and having a general idea of how the game works

People who play compedatively are far better than people who play against other casuals

Last edited:

Altimor

Smash Rookie
As another relatively new Fox, I think L canceling is one of the most important things to learn. Fox has great shield pressure off of short hop fast fall aerials because of how fast his shine is, but you can still be easily punished if you miss L cancels. Nair/bair/uair only change L cancel timing depending on hit or whiff, but dair will change based on how many times it hits, so make sure you practice that.

Once you're good at wavedashing you can also waveshine for combos like aerial -> shine -> grab/upsmash and techchases on characters it knocks down.

Last edited:

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
You can learn so much on your own before you even play another person.

First thing I always tell beginners, is to make sure to use the c-stick for everything you can. Smash attacks naturally, but also aerials. If you don't already, force yourself to make the change. Learn to SHFFL in order (short hop, fast fall, l-cancel), then put it together. Practice egdegaurding against multiple characters and get comfortable with recovering different ways. Then worry about wavedashing. After you have gotten comfortable with all of these things, THEN start practicing combos. All of this can be done without ever playing against a human. After a while, this naturally will become boring. When you do play against a human, play against people who are right at your skill level or slightly above. This is the best method to starting off. If you were to ask the same question to any other pro of any fighting game, they would give you the same response, because the outline of learning fundamentals is the same. The difference is there are so many more components to Melee than any other game, the process is far more arduous. It takes dedication, but it will pay off if you are willing to put the work in.

Good luck.

J1GZ

Smash Rookie
I just picked up melee yesterday and am looking to play it competitively. What are the steps of techniques I should learn? I can wavedash, obviously not too good, but I can do it. I can short hop. What are the next things I should learn? I'm using fox at the moment. Sorry if this is already a thread, I'm new here and don't really know how it works lol.
I recommend that you first get used to your character's movement, weight, and speed. Once you've got it pretty down in your hands, then I'd say that you practice short hopping a lot cause, specifically with Fox, he's a really heavy character to play with. After than you move on to wave dashing and to practice wavedashing, you said you can already kinda do it so with what you have learned just keep doing wavedashes over and over again (obviously start slowly and then start picking speed little by little) until you can do it every time and even on different platforms.

Top Bottom