• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just got bodied in a Luigi Ditto match...the guy wasn't even a Luigi Main...

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
So I came across this person on for glory. I won't give away his name, but he started of with a Shulk, which went okay. I ended up winning with a misfire. I did the Luigi plank "taunt" cause I always do if I get a misfire kill, it's not really to insult anyone. :chuckle:

So next fight he chose Luigi...and the exact same color. The match started and I immediately knew I was set to loose. This guy knew where to place his up-tilts (he used them a lot), his grabs into combos, his air skills, and he finished the round with the ultimate form of "disrespect": he spiked me with Luigi's down tuant spike....my fighting was off and a lot of button inputs I messed up on which resulted in mistaken dash attacks, cyclones, etc. The whole match I just kept thinking "This guys kicking your ass, do something smart!!" I tried to focus, but nothing was working at all. On top of that, its hard to pick out which Purple Luigi is yours, even if you are darker...on battlefield....during the sunset backdrop.

Afterwords he placed "xD" in his tag and then left. I now really never want to play this game again. I know that might sound childish to say, been when you're trying to improve and think you're improving, and then something like this happens, you just want to check out. I just couldn't focus correctly. My reading skills have never been that great, although I'm trying so hard to improve them. I just never really have played Luigi dittos, so I didn't really know what to do or how to react. Its just so frustrating to think about....:(

Thank you for taking the time to read through this post. Any tips, tricks, advice, etc. Is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

nyanturtwig

Smash Cadet
NNID
nyanturtwig
3DS FC
0490-4718-5860
Oh man I know that feeling. It's even worse when you lose the first round and then get bodied in the second by your own main. Some of the tags that people put online can be pretty annoying as well. I once fought a D3 whose tag was your not good, and after getting bodied by him I just felt like putting the controller down. Honestly the best advice I can give you is to try watching your opponent more closely. It's something that I have always had trouble with and only really just started doing. Other than that I guess the only other piece of advice that I can think of is to play some ditto matches against some board members.

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Boss lost to 3 different Luigis in dittos (one of them has barely practiced smash 4 and never used Luigi in tourneys before) so it's not too bad for you :p

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Luigi dittos are always random, as long as both players have at least minor understanding of the character.
This is why I'm getting a secondary character.

louie g

Smash Journeyman
Buddy, we all have this moment. Do not let it get to you, don't let anybody discourage you, and don't let anyone scare you off your game.

I'm not too fond of luigi dittos myself, but my meta game is this: Make your opponent commit to you.

Here's the neutral, alright, both players are starting to feel out their playstyles. The other guy takes a swing at you, just a mere guess of an attack, and it misses! But it's too quick to be punishable, and he knows it.

When this happens, pretend that you're about to punish him, walking slowly to him, and just as his tossed out attack is finished, chances are he'll run in for a grab/do a smash attack, etc.

Right in that moment, you have a few choices, Roll, Shield, or Spotdodge, do these until he lets out a big, punishable attack. Or if you know he loves to run in, throw out an F smash!

Don't do the same dodge everytime though, you always gotta mix things up. The point is to keep your opponent guessing, all of this is mostly just a situation to explain my point, so don't bother slowly walking up to someone if you don't have time for it either, standing in their face as their missed attack's cooldown ends, can suffice!

Wasn't really luigi-related advice, but it's something to think about when you're nervous in a match, and don't know what to think about.
Bottom line, pay close attention to your opponent, and just mess with them like this, infact, experiment with them if you can! And when you loose, take note of what the opponent used against you. Good luck bud.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
The best you can do is save replays when you get bodied, and learn from them for future battles. We all get bodied from time to time, and in dittos it's always embarrassing, but when you really sit back and think about it, that's the best way to learn. If all you do is win, you'll never be forced to try new strategies. Next time save the replay, and consider what you could have done differently. Perhaps you were too defensive? Too aggressive? Too jumpy? Do your best to learn from it so when you face someone who plays like that again (Luigi or not), you'll have an idea of what to do to win!

I do this all the time, and my winrate on my 3DS is 80% (1100/1300 games won), and I want it higher!
Don't get discouraged, dude! Even if you get mad/sad and put the controller down for the day, come back the next day ready to learn and ready to improve!

veritron

Smash Cadet
One thing about Luigi is that it's very easy to mess up and leave yourself completely vulnerable. I play Luigi dittos very conservatively - just fireball and jab and stay away from the other luigi until they do something dumb - like the other luigi doing a dash attack or an up-b or a side b or even just pressing the stick in the wrong direction while running can easily mean an opportunity to get the stock.

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
Honestly the best advice I can give you is to try watching your opponent more closely. It's something that I have always had trouble with and only really just started doing. Other than that I guess the only other piece of advice that I can think of is to play some ditto matches against some board members.
Very true. I'm trying so hard to do that, the reading that is, but it's hard. Hopefully I'll get a better grasp of it sooner or later. xD I should start looking for some ditto matches because I have the least amount of experience against another Luigi. Especially when it comes top DI-ing out of his down throws.

Thanks for the advice! :chuckle:

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
Buddy, we all have this moment. Do not let it get to you, don't let anybody discourage you, and don't let anyone scare you off your game.

I'm not too fond of luigi dittos myself, but my meta game is this: Make your opponent commit to you.
This though.

This is something I really have a tough time with because I do play an aggressive play style half the time. And during this battle, a lot of the time I spent running at him. So I guess, needless to say, I need to stay back and learn my opponent first.

Everything you told me was very helpful! Especially the advice about throwing out the forward smash when they run in, I never thought that worked!

I'll work on adapting a more passive aggressive play style so to speak, and strike when the time is right!

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
Next time save the replay, and consider what you could have done differently.!
You know, I always mean to do this during these moments. But I get so frustrated that I completely forget to save the replay. I'll make sure to start doing that so I can analyze my play style and learn to actually FIX my mistakes. :rotfl:

Thanks for the advice man! I'm doing my best to improve slightly with every passing day. :chuckle:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
It happens to the best of us man. How do you know he wasn't a luigi main himself? I dont play for glory with my main all the time ill play a comain or secondary then if i see another luigi or if the opponent bodies a character im playing ill switch to a main. Regardless, theres great advice on here. Like you said you havent played the mu that often and honestly learning how to play luigi doesnt mean you know how to fight him (especially as wacky as that match can get). Take your loss and learn why you lost. Best thing about dittos is you can take what your opponent did to you and use it for yourself against other luigis :)

samuroleon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Samuroleon
I've played many luigi dittos so I would say you should try to just play him like any other character, if you know his properties you can figure out some things to do and you need to remember he will be using similar things. I guess this applies to most dittos but I think just knowing what to expect is helpful.

louie g

Smash Journeyman
This though.

This is something I really have a tough time with because I do play an aggressive play style half the time. And during this battle, a lot of the time I spent running at him. So I guess, needless to say, I need to stay back and learn my opponent first.

Everything you told me was very helpful! Especially the advice about throwing out the forward smash when they run in, I never thought that worked!

I'll work on adapting a more passive aggressive play style so to speak, and strike when the time is right!
You got it dude, it's all about adding pressure!

Don't forget to be creative with your playstyle, and always adapt. If you need to be a little more aggressive, don't be afraid to, if the situation calls for it. I wish you luck!

Last edited:

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
It happens to the best of us man. How do you know he wasn't a luigi main himself? I dont play for glory with my main all the time ill play a comain or secondary then if i see another luigi or if the opponent bodies a character im playing ill switch to a main. Regardless, theres great advice on here. Like you said you havent played the mu that often and honestly learning how to play luigi doesnt mean you know how to fight him (especially as wacky as that match can get). Take your loss and learn why you lost. Best thing about dittos is you can take what your opponent did to you and use it for yourself against other luigis :)

I knew he wasn't a Luigi main himself because I had looked on his Miiverse profile afterwords to find some info about him. It turns out his main is actually Lucus. I also did see a lot of posts of him playing as Lucina. I mean, he could've been some sort of Luigi main at a time, I don't know for sure, but it didn't seem like he was.

But you are right. I will learn from this most definitely and use it in anymore Luigi dittos I may have. Whats funny is yesterday I had another Luigi ditto on for glory. I ended up winning both rounds because I knew how to approach my opponent better. He had a similar play stlye to the one that bodied me, so I knew what was coming. :grin:

Top Bottom