• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just getting thoughts down in writing

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I was playing KRD with Mario (lol) and he was Jiggz, and for some reason, whenever I would Fsmash for the kill, (usually) I would get it off. I wondered why, I knew I wasn't punishing lag, because he was full and able to do stuff. Or rather, he was in the middle of doing something usually when I hit him with Mario's Fsmash.

I wondered how I just randomly decided to do a Fsmash and I wondered why it hit. Most of the time, when I pressed the C-stick forward to a Fsmash, he was in his shield. Idk how, but thinking about it, I guess I naturally caught onto the fact that he either likes to grab or jump (and usually attack) OoS. But yeah, it just kinda illustrated to me the amount of information your brain processes throughout an entire match, or set. And like, 90% of it is unconscious thought too, so how on earth do you train yourself to be good at unconsciously noticing things...? Maybe if you just acknowledge them consciously and then it'll go to subconscious thought processes... lol who knows. That's why I guess you need a lot of experience. Hmmm, that must mean you have even more experience to get used to processing information for a faster fighting game o.O

Who knows lol.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Yea when I play my bro he out thinks me by under thinking, or atleast thats what it looks like. I'll be thinking a few steps ahead, based off of what happened in prior experiences, and boom random Fsmash. I'm like wtf, and was like okay watch the Fsmash, then Uair combo to grab Fthrow, then boom another Fsmash.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I do some crazy **** when I'm not even thinking about it, strings and combos most of the time. I swear, when it's the most opportune time, a dtilt will come out of nowhere after a mix-up and catch my opponent perfectly.

But yeah, there is an unconscious game as well as a conscious one, and it's just as important.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
This is exactly what happens with me and my random short cancels on stage lol. But yeah, what Asaph said, there's definitely an unconscious part to Smash, and every good player has a very strong unconscious ability to analyze the game since there's just so much going on to think about directly.

:059:

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
I've been having a hard time learning unconscious momentum cancels, The patterns people set for themselves are what get ingrained and become unconscious. That takes a while to learn anything like that.

Top Bottom