• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

just getting back

ConF1ictz

Smash Journeyman
i used to play SSBM, and i mained the Climbers. Ive been messing around withthem recently in Brawl and noticed that most of the stuff is the same - WDing. is there anything special i should know(i used to be very good with them, so i know all the combos, etc.) i just need to know like the new special little tricks, thanks a lot

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
things that wouldn't have worked in melee suddenly are possible in brawl. similarly, what you're used to in melee are not possible/different to pull off in brawl.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
ok, for starters: desyncing is harder. you no longer can spot dodge desync. nana is smarter and will help you more than melee. their up b is now a tether recovery (if nana hits the ledeg she will grab it and pull popo up with her). they can both hold the ledge at the same time meaning no edge hogging. additionally blizzard is bigger/more priority. squall's hammers are closer in to the climbers (tapping b to get more height is now slightly harder). neutral b is less powerful but can travel farther (getting smaller as they travel). also, their dair now accelerates faster and has more knockback.

as far as cgs go, you can now control which direction nana throws in a grab. this makes for more cg options and all of them far more controllable than in melee.

that about do it?

ConF1ictz

Smash Journeyman
^^thanks man, are there any combos i should know about..i mean, most of them are the same as Melee, but do any new ones counter the older combos in terms of damage/knockback

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
well grab combos are easier in this game. dthrow -> fair -> squall works well for damage. we also now have the Ice Block Lock (IBL): dthrow -> fair -> instantly start pressing b rhythmically. it locks the person in a chain of ice blocks that they can't get up from until you stop/they reach the edge. oh, and really nice one is dthrow -> blizzard -> fair. you get them caught in a blizzard and hit them as they try to DI out.

you can also do fthrow -> fair on these (my preferred). its a bit harder to pull off, but once you get the timing down it works nicely. unfortunately fthrow -> fair spikes them in front of you, but dthrow -> fair leads to a fsmash setup. fthrow can't do that as fast (but it can lead to a dthrow).

you should also know that dthrow has less power than in melee.

you can also do alt throwing in brawl. timing fthrow to regrab for a fully effective inifinite. there is also a bthrow atl grab as well. the dthrow -> regrab is another nice one (pretty sure you could do that in melee too). pretty much all of the grabs from melee should still work but you can now control where nana will throw so there are more setups. additionally wobbling is out (:().

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
If I might add to this, due to different hitstun properties in Brawl, the D-throw to Nana D-smash chain doesn't work the way it used to anymore. Also, performing a Nana-Blizzard in the middle of a grab makes Popo do a D-throw, whereas in Melee you can do a Nana-Blizzard while maintaining Popo's hold (you can still regrab at low percents if they don't DI away, however). Popo's F-air no longer meteor-smashes as well.

And wobbling may be out, but hobbling is in (basically a footstool chaingrab). Where the latter got its name exactly, I don't know (as in, why "h" over any other letter that's not "w").

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
If I might add to this, due to different hitstun properties in Brawl, the D-throw to Nana D-smash chain doesn't work the way it used to anymore. Also, performing a Nana-Blizzard in the middle of a grab makes Popo do a D-throw, whereas in Melee you can do a Nana-Blizzard while maintaining Popo's hold (you can still regrab at low percents if they don't DI away, however). Popo's F-air no longer meteor-smashes as well.

And wobbling may be out, but hobbling is in (basically a footstool chaingrab). Where the latter got its name exactly, I don't know (as in, why "h" over any other letter that's not "w").
Popo grab -> QUICKLY pummel -> Nana Blizzard -> opponent gets released from the grab and gets hit by Blizzard.

:) Not a lot accurate as it is from Melee's.

Top Bottom