• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just a Thought, Kinda Optimistic heh

RedZeshin

Smash Cadet
I've been around this board for a bit now, and having read a lot of the posts about the nixed Advanced Techniques's like wavedashing and the like, well it got me thinking. Y'know, maybe they were nixed for a good reason. And not necessarily the more dead-pan obvious reactions a Melee afficionados might have like making the game more accessible or anything like that (which is a reasonable conclusion).

I was thinking, if Brawl had come out with the same old stuff that was already in Melee, what would it be? Something like, Melee 2.0. Everybody would already be wavedashing and shffling and stuff, except with some new characters. Maybe there might be some newer techniques tacked on, but a majority of the strategy from Melee would have carried over intact. And that's, well... not really that interesting. :p

But with Brawl, that's all been turned upside down. It's like a completely new slate to start from, the playing field is leveled and now everybody starts (relatively) anew with a (relatively) equal chance at earning professional smashing l33tness. Instead of rehashing the same old techniques, people are being forced to search for something different, to try different things out. I don't know about you guys, but I've never been so excited about a fighting game in this way. It's neat to think that I might find a new move that will advance my game, or even some sweet difficult-to-discover AT. It's like, a treasure-hunt that rewards you with glory in battle! LOLOL And heck, it's even neater when I hear about new moves from the community, and actually apply it to enhance my play (almost gave up on Ike, until I learned some cool tricks on the boards). Not just that, but take a look at all of us. The game's bringing a whole community together to form a giant intercontinental think-tank, sharing all these experiences and developing whole new ways of battle. I'll remember these times pretty well, that's for sure.

Well you know how they say when one door shuts, another one opens right? I get the feeling that if you can get past the understandable pain of no longer having those killer AT's from Melee, then you just might be surprised to find that Brawl has a great deal of potential and depth yet to be mastered and discovered. Maybe that was the real intention of nixing things like the wavedash: to force players to create new styles and discover new techniques, to bring a fresh gaming platform full of new potential, and to develop a grassroots community brimming with conflict and excitement at developing skills in a new fighting system.

Just a thought, could be wrong but that's what it seems like to me. And I like it this way hehe, I dunno it's kinda exciting. So what about you all, is your glass half-full too? :D

P.S. I make an exception to tripping, however. Tripping is just, plain, stupid :p

AAP

Smash Journeyman
WELL SAID!

I agree 100%, i think having a clean slate to start from for everyone and new physics to get use to is awesome. It is too bad that brawl has been clouded by some negative feedback on the boards, but as things progress and people adapt i'm sure the general attitude will change.

some may have been discouraged with the lack of AT's but they will come with time i'm sure of it. Whether they were intentionally programmed in or not i'm sure the smash community will find it. The fact nothing significant has been found yet is almost encouraging that there is nothing in this game that is obviously exploitable. I mean it hasn't been out long...is it even out in Europe yet? everything will come with time.

but until the games been completely explored and all AT's found i know i'll be checking the boards often knowing that within minutes of anything of importance being found it'll show up here, and minutes after that it would have been verified/disproved by dozens of players across the globe.

One things for sure if anyone says they're not at least having fun looking for these things i would most definitely disagree. I just hope everyone gets on the same page of wanting to find things and support each other in trying to find them, not just flat out shoot down a persons theory without justification and intelligent discussion.

heres to positive vibes!

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I was preparing to make this same thread.

Thank you for doing it for me, in some way XD

I guess by now it goes without saying that I agree. This is what all those noob-ish people have been saying when they mean "It's not Melee 2.0". This game has been made much more accessible to newer people, simply by making everyone start on the same slate, to a degree. Of course, I still own my friends because I was on a much higher level than them with Melee, but now I don't win EVARY time. It's a nice reprieve.

It's given that more-professional players will not like the idea of having to get better at a new game, and hence have channeled their anger into irrational hatred for the game. But soon, if they are still dedicated enough, they can become the top again, with some new competition.

It's not an old game with some new stuff, it's a new game with some old stuff.

xl Lan lx

Smash Apprentice
Wow...

Someone with sense on the boards. Smart? Taking the concept and thinking it through...

Great thread! Agree completely!

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Even now, having played Brawl for over 70 hours, it's hard for me to accept this, but I know it's true. I tried playing Melee today, and I really liked being able to own with Sheik instantly...but it's not balanced, as fun as it was, it was almost like Brawl+Hacks. Brawl is MUCH more balanced, and it is FAR easier to main more than once character than in Melee, and it is much easier to get friends without a Wii to play decently.

Top Bottom