• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jungle Hijinxs: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
It's devilishly difficult to spell right and also pretty tricky to play on. Jungle Hijinxs sports a very unique mechanic that basically everything else revolves around.

Spell it with me: H-I-J-I-N-X-S.

Previously Covered
Wrecking Crew
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Big Battlefield
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Town & City
Duck Hunt
Delfino Plaza
Kalos Pokemon League
Mario Galaxy
Coliseum
Gamer
Wii Fit Studio
Kongo Jungle 64
Windy Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Orbital Gate Assault
Woolly World
Skyloft
Garden of Hope
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit

Layout
Jungle Hijinxs has the unique distinction of featuring two separate planes for characters to fight on: the foreground and the background. Each has its own layout.

The foreground's main base has a downward slope from left to right, with small flat sections on either edge. Two floating bushes are located just offstage over the ledges and act as standard platforms. The main base has walled sides.

The background has a flat base with four platforms in a zigzag pattern over the right side. Offstage to the left are two pillars with elevated tops, also flat. The base and both pillars have walled sides, and all have grabbable ledges.

Players start in the foreground. Players 1 and 2 start on the bush platforms on either side, while Players 3 and 4 start on the left half of the slope and next to the right ledge. The Omega form has walled sides

Jungle Hijinxs features several hazards and dynamic stage elements.

Foreground and Background
Before moving on, it's important to understand the difference between the two fighting planes. The foreground behaves completely normally, but the background acts a bit oddly. The camera does not zoom in on the background even when no players are in the foreground, so everyone in the background appears smaller than usual. Due to perspective, the background also features more room to fight than the foreground despite fitting into the same amount of screen space. To make up for this, being in the background increases all knockback taken.

To test the effects of this knockback increase, Mario performed a fully charged sweetspot forward smash on a second Mario. The "Handicap" feature was used to set the second Mario's damage percent; the first Mario is always at 0% to eliminate the effects of Rage. After landing, the game was immediately called off, resulting in "No Contest." The "Max Launcher Speed" value was then referenced and recorded.

|0%|50%
Foreground|26 MPH|67 MPH
Background|39 MPH|80 MPH
It appears that being in the background applies an additive increase to knockback, not a multiplicative one. The current data suggests a constant value of +13 MPH, although the sample size is small and further experimentation is recommended.

The Jungle Hijinxs stage. Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong are in the foreground, while the background is visible in the distance. Both foreground and background are functional fighting areas. Players in the background take extra knockback from all sources.

Barrels
Jungle Hijinxs provides a total of 6 barrels that let players move between the foreground and background planes. They come and go at random, although the location of each barrel when present is fixed. They are as follows:

Foreground:
  • Above the right edge of the left platform.
  • Above and to the right of the right platform.
  • Below the right platform.
Background:
  • Offstage to the right, next to the lowest platform.
  • Above the highest platform.
  • Offstage to the left, above the left pillar.
A barrel is only available for use once it has set itself at an angle. Barrels in motion point straight up and cannot be used. Each barrel usually sticks around from 10-15 seconds, although sometimes a barrel will come in and leave immediately after. The cause for this is unknown. Barrels flash for about 5 seconds before leaving.

When using a barrel, the game draws an arrow indicating the launch trajectory and a set of three arrows pointing at the landing site. Characters normally bounce on the ground when they land, but it is possible to tech the impact. Whether they tech the impact or not, they deal 10% damage to other characters in the way when they land.

Occasionally, a large stone pillar will spontaneously rise in the middle of the stage when a player attempts to use a barrel. They will then bounce off of this pillar and land on the same plane they launched from instead of flying across the gap properly. It is impossible to anticipate the appearance of this pillar prior to entering the barrel.

After using a barrel, whether the pillar interferes or not, a character starts smoldering for 6 seconds or so. Attempting to use another barrel while still smoldering runs the risk of the barrel exploding with the player inside for 10% damage, instead of launching them. The knockback dealt by this is purely vertical and has a modestly high base but low growth. Kill percents vary depending on which barrel exploded and whether the victim uses DI.

A foreground barrel being used to launch to the background. Note the arrow extending from the barrel, indicating the launch trajectory, and the three smaller arrows pointing to the exact location of impact.

A background barrel being used to launch to the foreground. The arrows are color coded to indicate which side the player will land in. Players can tech the impact when they land.

The pillar blocking Donkey Kong's attempt to launch to the background. This is annoying and impossible to predict before using the barrel, but is otherwise harmless. The game helpfully indicates where the player will rebound.

Unstable Ground
Occasionally, the foreground or background starts rumbling and three blue arrows appear, each pointing down. This is the signal that the respective half of the stage is about to fall away, leaving behind only 3 relief barrels, one below each arrow, that players can use to save themselves and launch to the other side. The only exception to this is the floating bush platforms in the foreground, which never fall.

After approximately 10 seconds, the relief barrels begin to flash and leave just as the missing stage rises back up. The relief barrels seem to be exempt from the chance of exploding when used by a smoldering player.

The stage goes 45 seconds to 1 minute before part of it falls again. Fighters must be present in one of the planes for it to possibly fall. If all fighters are in the foreground, for instance, the background will never fall away.

The foreground about to fall away. A relief barrel is located below each arrow. The floating bush platforms never fall.

The stage after the foreground has fallen away. In addition to the 3 relief barrels, all 6 of the normal barrels are also visible.

The background about to fall away. A player must be present in order for this to happen; if both players are in the foreground then the background will never fall, and vice versa.

The stage after the background has fallen away. The relief barrels appear to be exempt from the usual chance of exploding if a smoldering player attempts to use them.

Summary
  • Foreground and background are separate fighting planes.
  • Background applies a global additive knockback increase.
  • Barrels launch players between foreground and background.
  • Total of 6 barrels, which come and go randomly.
  • Players can tech landing from barrels.
  • Players in the way of other players upon landing take 10% damage.
  • Using a barrel makes a player smolder for 6 seconds.
  • Using a barrel while smoldering runs the risk of making the barrel explode for 10% damage.
  • A pillar sometimes rises and blocks a launched player, they rebound back to their original side.
  • Foreground or background sometimes fall away, leaving behind 3 relief barrels.
  • Relief barrels immune to exploding chance.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
When you rebound off a pillar, the pillar falls onto the opposite ground. How much damage does this do to players on that side, if any?
Update, after a fair amount of time in training mode I have been unable to make the pillar appear in any situation where it would fall on the same side as the other player. It's only ever shown up when my destination is otherwise empty, and in fact shows up rather frequently when I reset training mode and immediately jump into a barrel.

This is baseless speculation, but the purpose of the pillar may in fact be to discourage circle camping. If no one is present then the game sometimes goes "lolno" and stops you from running away. Like I said, baseless speculation.

Last edited:

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
This is baseless speculation, but the purpose of the pillar may in fact be to discourage circle camping. If no one is present then the game sometimes goes "lolno" and stops you from running away. Like I said, baseless speculation.
I didn't attempt to reproduce this, but I got killed by that pillar in a Crazy Orders battle when my opponent tried to cross over to the rear plane where I was. So it actually can appear when someone is on the other side.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
I just discovered that you can act before hitting the ground after being launched by a barrel. Try jumping just before you hit the ground to avoid being punished. Characters with charge projectiles can also start charging immediately before impact (and therefore shield upon landing).

Top Bottom