• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jumping with X/Y exclusively?

AirFair

Marth tho
I was just wondering as I was watching Ken's stream recently and he was jumping only with the x button. When I saw it, I wondered how useful it could be, as you control stick can now be used for DI and dashing instead of jumping, and I use my x button only for short hops. Do a lot of player jump with the x or y buttons only, and am I the odd one out?

ReDDeFFect

Smash Cadet
Majority use one button, spacies benefit from y as it is physically closer to X, and marth mains probably benefit from x as it is closer to A (which ken has discussed is easier to ken combo with as marth as opposed to using c stick for aerials) You can debate that using one button has advantages over the other, as well as debate whatever the player is most comfortable using is the best option.

I don't feel there is any real evidence for either argument.

Heketzu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Heketzu
3DS FC
0619-3983-6093
Majority use one button, spacies benefit from y as it is physically closer to X, and marth mains probably benefit from x as it is closer to A (which ken has discussed is easier to ken combo with as marth as opposed to using c stick for aerials) You can debate that using one button has advantages over the other, as well as debate whatever the player is most comfortable using is the best option.

I don't feel there is any real evidence for either argument.
I main Marth and use Y for jump. I rest my thumb in between of Y and A and have no problem doing the Ken combo when I get a chance.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I main Marth and use Y for jump. I rest my thumb in between of Y and A and have no problem doing the Ken combo when I get a chance.
I do the same thing for Jigglypuff. It helps to jump then do an aerial quickly. It helps a lot with my Wall of Pain.
Once you get used to using X/Y instead of tap jump it becomes much easier to do different combos because you have more movement options.

Massive

Smash Champion
While tap jump has some specific uses (easier SH uair OoS, JC-usmash, up-b OoS, autometeor cancel on puff), for actual jumping/shorthopping the vast majority (probably close to 99%) of high level players use a button to jump.

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
I feel like most of the button preferences are superficial, unless it really helps your character's playstyle.

I've naturally always pressed X for jumping, and while recently learning jump-cancelled grabs, I tend to use Y because it's closer to the Z button.

Meru

Smash Cadet
When it comes to using x/y, I personally prefer Y. Ken's argument is based off of the assumption that it is quicker/easier to swipe your thumb from right to left (x->a) than from up to down (y->a) (an assumption which is probably true for most). But I feel that most of the argument for x vs y is just based on player preference. If somebody is playing a spacie, I would personally recommend to use Y, because of its physically closer location to b (thus making it easier/possible to multishine or waveshine). Aside from this, I use tap jump for falco's shine bair/dair. When it comes to JC's, I would recommend using the control stick for Usmash, and the x/y buttons for grabs. The reasoning behind using x/y vs control stick is that x/y allow for digital inputs as opposed to the more variable axes on the control stick. And it does, as you point out, allow for more consistent air movement.

Sumtime

Smash Cadet
I always Jump with X. However, to multishine I use Y, and to shine grab I use up on the control stick.

Fyrelore

Smash Rookie
I used to always use the joystick to jump before I became serious about the game. Now I use X/Y and I personally find it so much easier to do different combos with it. I feel I have less control when using the joystick to jump for some reason.

Top Bottom