• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jumping backwards with full dash momentum (NEW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVE

Smash Rookie
DISCLAIMER: I searched before making this thread...I don't think anybody else has made a thread on this, but if so, my bad.

I noticed this after applying the "Wavebouncing" / b-sticking setup to my controller. While running forward, if you b-stick backwards / the opposite way you're running, you will do a jump and face the way you pressed it. The plus is that you will be facing backwards but you will be going at the same speed as you would have if you jumped forward during a dash.

There used to be a substitute for this tactic...dashing, then turning around right before you jumped. This takes a tad longer, is more difficult to pull off, and the jump is slightly less far horizontal-wise.

Also, if you tap the c-stick lightly, you will short-hop. This is useful for characters with good bairs. I just noticed this and thought it might be effective for some characters. I discovered it on Toon Link but I checked and it works for everyone as far as I know.

Another way to apply this tactic is if you are running away from your opponent and they are chasing you, you can do this and SHFFL a fair, instead of SHFLLing a bair.

Reynbo

Smash Cadet
guess you didn't search hard enough theres a thread about this in the exact thread that talks about b-sticking:)

err

Smash Journeyman
im gonna tack this on the end here: I dont think you actually keep any forward momentum., i think we're all just enamored by the fact that every character has crazy aerial control in this game (after all we have all been playing melee for some time)

seriously when im just poundin the sandbag waiting for online matches to start, i've done many a turn-around jump, and they really take you the same distance as a jump from the idle position. i guess i'll go play some and test whether the speed is different,,, but im guessing its not

EVE

Smash Rookie
im gonna tack this on the end here: I dont think you actually keep any forward momentum., i think we're all just enamored by the fact that every character has crazy aerial control in this game (after all we have all been playing melee for some time)

seriously when im just poundin the sandbag waiting for online matches to start, i've done many a turn-around jump, and they really take you the same distance as a jump from the idle position. i guess i'll go play some and test whether the speed is different,,, but im guessing its not
It definitely is a farther jump than the alternative (turning around right before jumping), and farther than jumping backwards from an idle position. And besides, you're usually not going to shffl a bair from an idle position anyway. I seriously jumped from the same spot and noticed where I landed on all three jumped and the b-stick is slightly the farthest and the easiest.

Anyway this thread doesn't really matter because I suck at searching...lol. I found the thread btw. I'll get a Mod to close this.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
The opposite of this can also be done.

TwinkleToes said:
So a variation on the reverse jump is:

Dash forward, hit the jump button, smash back on the control stick immediately afterwards. So, instead of flying towards your opponent with your back to them, you fly away from your opponent while facing them.

Both use the same game principle that ground momentum is not transfered to the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom