• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jump-Cancelled Grabs: Is Y/X or Tap Jump Better?

FlintTheWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
SwiggitySteven
Regarding jump-cancelled grabs, I would like to know which jump input people believe is the most convenient and best to pull them off with. Like most players, I use one of the jump buttons as opposed to tap jump to jump normally (my preferred button being Y), but I've experimented with both Y and tap jump for JC grabs. I've noticed that tap jump is reliable but often forces me to slow down my movement in order to do it, as I often like to do grabs out of dash dances or off of dashes in general. The Y button feels a bit faster, but I've noticed that I often mess up the input and wind up jumping or doing a dash grab a bit more often than with tap jump. So, which do you prefer, and which do you feel I should try to get used to?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
X or Y are optimal, using tap jump for tech is a bad idea in general. Once you get the timing down really well with jump buttons, you will have no movement restrictions while executing the tech and you'll be able to perform a JC (generally) faster.

AirFair

Marth tho
I used to use tap jump for jc grabbing, but it's not very useful, since you might accidentally jump instead. Just use X/Y

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
You have the same window for inputting the grab with both methods, though you may find one to be easier for whatever reason.

Because of the way the input for jumping with the stick is analogue, it might make it slightly harder to correctly time the jump against the grab input than with the (digital) jump button, especially since the stick position before the jump input can vary; I can't say how much harder or whether it's even significant, and certainly there are some people that either don't have or don't notice a significant problem with it. It's the same reason some people find it easier to input pivot forward smashes with the A button.

Using the stick has the disadvantage of messing with your DI and being harder to input correctly out of a dash (you're only ever going to be inputting it out of a dash or run).

I used to use tap jump for jump cancel grabs, then switched to my normal jump button a few months afterwards.

Last edited:

FlintTheWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
SwiggitySteven
Thanks to everyone for the input. I've started practicing only using Y for my JC grabs and I've been getting more used to it. It seems better than tap jump and is allowing me to grab out of dash dances much more easily.

Comet7 Comet7 I actually have been trying to use Falco alongside Marth, but I'd say I've incorporated jump-cancelling much more effectively into my play with Marth than with Falco. I find that I'm more consistent with Marth in general, but I've been trying to learn Falco as well. I've just started practicing using shine grabs and have been using Y for that.

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
*insert papyrus trash can gif with tap jump, yaddayaddayadda*

I'd go with Y, since it's closer to the B button. X is the same distance from A, but farther from B. Versatility > Some dumb descision

I use Z to grab, so it doesn't even really affect me at all.

Top Bottom