• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jump cancelled grab from laser

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
So lately i've been picking up falco again when i'm not playing ness...and i've improved a little at lasering..so I can sorta get the proper timing on the fastfall for the laser.

Back when i was too slow at it i would end up hitting down too late..meaning thta by the time falco landed, the control stick still wasn't returning from the down position, therefore i could not immediately grab.

so someone suggested i should jump cancel into a grab....now i grant that that works, but i'm wondering if i should kick the habit now.

Doesn't falco have a slow jump..won't i lose a few frames of time by doing a jump-cancelled grab instead of a normal grab?

This comes up because i started jump cancelling a lot of my grabs..and i was wondering if my shffled fair with pikachu to jump cancelled grab was allowing the opponent to act during the jump time.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
no, the grab can happen anytime before you leave the ground, so you can cancel it only 1 frame after you begin to jump. That's not enough for your opponent to take advantage of.

For instance, people use to pillaring to keep opponents in the shield. There actually is a time when falco is vunerable on the ground, but it's so short that no human can take advantage of that.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
but i'm wondering if that one frame is enough to make a difference...because there are already a few frames they can act in i assume from the laser.

So if i laser them, i assume it takes a few frames to land..and during that time if the stun from the laser wears off they can start a grab, which will take 4 frames to complete i think.

So i'm wondering if they can or can't act between the time the laser hits them and the time i grab

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
no. they still can't. the laser stun is long enough that the very little time they have to act can't be humanly reacated to with a fast enough attack, or any thing other that holding L, which you'll be able to grab them through. It's not a problem. I use it all the time.

quak

Smash Champion
no man, you can SHL them and then grab them. I've done it before. It works, if you can't do it, it's not the frames that are making you too slow, it's your fingers.

Top Bottom