• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jump-canceled UpB approach

Godhand_Soup

Smash Rookie
Hey all. After maining DK, I've run into more than a few problems with Olimar and Ice Climbers. A few matches later, I stumbled on to this gem. It basically won me the match against Olimar. DK's UpB can be performed in full running animation, just dash either direction, and then push the control stick diagonal upward and whatever direction you were running in while pressing B. The low cooldown animation and super armor frames make this approach even better.

So there you have it. Another tool in DK's bag against the cast. Sorry if this is already a well known(or ineffective) technique.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I'll have to try this since I was playing a lot of 1v1s today, and I had massive trouble with the Ice Climbers, Charizard, and Olimar.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
this is usually highly effective against wolf also, but if they get used to it they can grab you while your spinning. In a game vs. my friends ics, I only delt 4% the entire match by accident too using up-b to much. and yes I have it recorded.

TierWhore

Smash Journeyman
don't forget upb out of shield, it works wonders against people who either wanna spot dodge, or if you time it with the super armor. Also, upb off the edge on yoshi's island is ridiculous, it automatically cancels so if you hit them correctly, you can follow up with w/e

Mr Nobody

Smash Cadet
Not sure if this is already known or not, but I'll throw it out there anyways. When you use the up B in the air, when it finishes you fall and topple over or whatever. When you do it on the ground, there's some sort of animation after he's done spinning. Either way, there's some lag after the move.

If you finish the spinning kong as you're just above the ground, then instead of toppling over, DK just goes into his normal standing position. That is, there is no lag after the up B and you can proceed instantly into a jab combo or grab or whatever you want. The timing is slightly tricky at first, but it is really not difficult to do once you get used to it.

I find it easiest to do on stages with platforms because you can simply up B cancel your jump so that you end just above the platform. For example, on battlefield you can jump and up B really quick to hit your opponent and drag them onto a platform (kind of like MK's cyclone) and then instantly grab them and throw them off the stage for bad times. For an even easier application, you can uair and then up B in the same short hop; if you do the uair quickly enough you can do an up B before you hit the ground and the height is perfect to cancel it on the platform above. At low enough percents, after the uair they will be caught up in the spinning kong and then, again, are fair game for a grab on the platform.

Anyways, aside from stages with platforms, green greens, and lylat cruise, it is not really helpful since you're vulnerable trying it off the ledge, but it's still nice to throw in every once in awhile. After all, a well-placed spinning kong can do like 35%. ;)

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Not sure if this is already known or not, but I'll throw it out there anyways. When you use the up B in the air, when it finishes you fall and topple over or whatever. When you do it on the ground, there's some sort of animation after he's done spinning. Either way, there's some lag after the move.

If you finish the spinning kong as you're just above the ground, then instead of toppling over, DK just goes into his normal standing position. That is, there is no lag after the up B and you can proceed instantly into a jab combo or grab or whatever you want. The timing is slightly tricky at first, but it is really not difficult to do once you get used to it.

I find it easiest to do on stages with platforms because you can simply up B cancel your jump so that you end just above the platform. For example, on battlefield you can jump and up B really quick to hit your opponent and drag them onto a platform (kind of like MK's cyclone) and then instantly grab them and throw them off the stage for bad times. For an even easier application, you can uair and then up B in the same short hop; if you do the uair quickly enough you can do an up B before you hit the ground and the height is perfect to cancel it on the platform above. At low enough percents, after the uair they will be caught up in the spinning kong and then, again, are fair game for a grab on the platform.

Anyways, aside from stages with platforms, green greens, and lylat cruise, it is not really helpful since you're vulnerable trying it off the ledge, but it's still nice to throw in every once in awhile. After all, a well-placed spinning kong can do like 35%. ;)
This is known by pretty much every single person on the board. It was discovered like day 2 of the Japanese release. :dizzy:

Top Bottom