• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jump Cancel Upsmash vs. Run Cancel Upsmash

Str8Bustr

Smash Rookie
Just a quick question, is it better to do one over the other? As far as I know, JC upsmash is more common out of run, but i can get somewhat more reliable upsmashes out of run by run canceling (down canceling?) with the control stick and charging the upsmash with the C-stick and Z. Just curious if it comes down to preference or if it's faster frame wise to one or the other. Thanks!

Seal

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure that jump cancelling is something like 1 frame faster, but I still do run cancelled stuff because I find it much easier.

Pauer

The Pauerful
It depends on how quickly you cancel the jump(squat). At best, JC upsmash is like 1 or 2 frames faster so speed really doesn't matter. But I'm certain that you slide further with a JC up smash than with a run canceled one so in that sense you can get to where you want to hit faster. Also, if you want to do an upsmash very close to you, like f-tilt range, you can only do that with a JC upsmash so it's usually better imo.

Last edited:

Str8Bustr

Smash Rookie
Ahhh I just realized, you can JC upsmash out of dash, you can't run cancel a dash. I guess considering Sheik's measly dash range, you can get away with doing the run cancel, but I think I might just get it in my head to JC everytime

Squeemos

Smash Rookie
I feel jump cancelling is even easier than dash cancelling, I just put both the c stick and the control stick up. Plus the advantages of sliding and it's quicker.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Like Pauer Pauer said, the part about not being able to run cancel Usmash out of a dash makes JC Usmash probably better to master. I haven't got it down myself yet but, for example, a really optimal punish on Marth(when there's no platforms) off dthrow that gets you a tipper Usmash requires JC Usmash if he DIs slightly in front or no DIs.

Top Bottom