• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Jump cancel" side-B 1 as a string starter?

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Okay, so this is a weird one, but I play Marth from time-to-time and I've never really heard this mentioned (Maybe I've been living under a rock. I dunno.), so here goes.

Is a "jump cancelled" side-B a good string starter? I put JC in brackets because it's more like a short hop if anything but whatever. I use it semi-infrequently, usually after a hit confirm on Jab 1 since a player who doesn't react well is probably going to get [Jab 1 > JC Side-B > N-air hit 1 > D-tilt > dash grab > down throw > U-air]ed which is is a pretty damn nasty string with plenty of options to mix-up with. A JC'd Side-B hit 1 can string into U-air, F-air and N-air all on it's own, not counting actual extra combo blade hits if you wanna go there.

I imagine there's more than one or two flaws with this idea, but the pay-off and mix-ups usually have other players on their toes more than not. I thought I'd bring it up since I used it to a good amount of success in FG today, but I'm super bad at testing for what can and can't completely ruin things like this (Probably a N-air from Mario or something would do it I imagine.). Anyone else really mucked with this? Like I say, this is totally unheard of outside of my funked up casual playstyle despite my success with it. Should I keep using it, or pack it in?

DiscoSpider

Smash Rookie
Yes, that's an actual thing although I barely see any Marth use it. I personally love doing jab 1 into Fsmash to condition opponents into jumping out instead of airdodging through that, then I pull out JC DB 1 > Nair 1 > Up smash. That way once they try and jump out, they get the tipper Usmash.

The flaws I experienced is once they shield, you are screwed. The SH DB > Nair move gives them enough time to do OOS after the DB attack. Even if you space the best you could, its still punishable. I would recommend using this as a mixup

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Problem is it doesn't work against characters with fast aerials. The spacing is also really weird especially for shorter characters, and it won't lead into too much dmg anyway. Jab is just way more reliable.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Problem is it doesn't work against characters with fast aerials. The spacing is also really weird especially for shorter characters, and it won't lead into too much dmg anyway. Jab is just way more reliable.
Yeah, it's usually why I set it up with Jab anyway or cancel early into a grab or something... Most opponents will kinda expect an air to come straight out after the initial JCd CB1 hit confirm, so you can kinda fake out with it in that sense.

Though I do find it leading into a lot of damage, which is why I go for it in the first place. Not gonna lie though, it is mostly against poor players, so maybe I should just reserve it as a noob-killer. lol

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Please don't call it a jump cancel when it is not. Just call it short hop dancing blade 1
The input is the same as a JC, and it does technically cancel any type of hop into a very short one, so it is a "JC" in a very very loose sense. Again, there's a reason I put it in quote marks. lol Hell, I even say it's more like a short hop right in the first post. It's more for convenience's sake that I call it a JC, just because the input is the same.

As for calling it Dancing Blade, I'm just too damn lazy and Side-B is shorter. :'D Same diff to me anyhow. As long as you understand what movement I mean, all's fine to me.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
sh dancing blade 1 combos into upair and nair at higher %s if you tipper it

In fact, tipper sh db 1 > nair 1 > tipper fsmash is a true combo.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
sh dancing blade 1 combos into upair and nair at higher %s if you tipper it

In fact, tipper sh db 1 > nair 1 > tipper fsmash is a true combo.
That's pretty cool, I had no idea it could actually combo - I thought it was just for setups - guess I'm gonna have to focus more on getting the tipper on my reads! :D

Top Bottom