• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jump cancel grab alternative

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
in melee theres this thing called a jump cancel which reduces lag time by using a stand grab instead of a dash grab but the jump cancel is a stand grab after a dash this has another benefit with marth because his standing grab has a bigger grab range but anway theres also r canceling when you can shield while running if you dash then shield then press a you'll preform a standing grab because pressing the shield button and a is an alternative to do a grab but also to note in a jump cancel you get sliding momentum this is true with the alternative while running but not while dashing do out of dash dance you wont get any momentum forward also if you get a roll out of a dash dance that means you were moving the stick after pressing L so you'll have to let go of the stick

Wafflesaurus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wafflesaurus
Very coherent statements. I feel like I've become a better player from reading this.

Yung Clap

Smash Cadet
It's probably not the best alternative if you're trying to pivot-jump cancel grab, which is crucial for chain grabbing spacies at mid-low percents. But I suppose if you are having trouble preforming jump cancel grabs you could shield stop grab (what you described above). But even then it's still better to do a traditional JC grab because you won't be subjected to being punished if you mess up the inputs and preform a roll. Also if you're in shield for too long and your opponent hits your shield you'll suffer shield stun and won't be able to preform a grab right away.

AirFair

Marth tho
I only use shieldstop grab against jiggs when she is approaching with aerials, because I dash back, shield pivot, and hit a, after the attack's shieldstun. Other than that, I would use JC grabs. There are probably other uses of shieldstop grab.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Shieldstop grab when you approach a spacie to not get spotdodge shined. If they jab, DI out or loluair. You can also run slightly forward compared to a pivot grab, and run slightly farther back, useful when dealing with moves that have long range but are still low lag. You can also use shield stop to - wait for it... SHIELD GRAB! Going into full run and approaching with shield is also useful, it's one of many ways to deal with the opponent trying to wall you out, others include spacing your own moves. If you are worried about properly chaingrabbing spacies at lower percents, just pummel, hold down on the cstick, and tech-chase.

tonic

Smash Cadet
Shieldstop grab when you approach a spacie to not get spotdodge shined. If they jab, DI out or loluair.
How does that keep you from getting spotdodge shined? I only see it as an option select that protects you briefly if they attack. Also, can you clarify what you mean when they jab?

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
How does that keep you from getting spotdodge shined? I only see it as an option select that protects you briefly if they attack. Also, can you clarify what you mean when they jab?
When you JC grab, you slide forward, when you shield stop, you stop on a dime. Grabs reach in front with a hurtbox and grabbox, and then pullback afterward. Most grabs are already reaching farther forward than a spacie's shine would, Marth's grab has more range than Yoshi's. By shield stopping, you can stop your character's body outside the range of shine, then grab into where their hurtbox is, and if they spotdodge, you pull your arm back out of shine's range. If you had JC grabbed and they spotdodged, you'd fly into the spacie.
A more aware spacie may try to jab seeing that the shine will just miss, seeing as it goes farther infront, and is only 1 frame slower.
Shieldstopping only works in initial dash. You'll slide out of walk (which you can cancel with dash at any point) and full run. You can crouch out of full run into another dash, or simply foxtrot to keep this option open after longer amounts of movement. I also think practicing tech-chases with fox trots would help a lot of people if they start by ending one of the dashes and the location a tech happens.

tonic

Smash Cadet
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for breaking that down to a science. I'm going to try incorporating that into my game. By the way, judging from the other posts you've made recently, you seem really knowledgeable. What's your tag?

Top Bottom