• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Jul 19, 2015] War Room Biweekly #6: The Return of PM (Grandville, MI)

cisyphus

Smash Ace
https://www.facebook.com/events/1475263602767429/

The sixth edition of the War Room Biweekly comes with a lot of changes. First, the return of two-stage tournaments with Round Robin pools filtering into a double elimination bracket. In addition to that, Project M Doubles is making its official, slated return to the lineup!

With these changes come changes to the price margins. I'll be running a $10 flat rate which will buy you entry into both of these events, splitting the prize pot 50/50 between singles and doubles. My intent with this decision is to try to bring the community feel of the game back—a lot of us have been wanting a solid doubles event to come around, and it plainly hasn't been happening anywhere at any time. I feel as though the main problem comes with doubles being first on a schedule, making it easy to pass up for more sleep or what have you. That's not cool, and so doubles will be sandwiched between the two phases of the Singles tournament, meaning that pools start first! Pools, of course, gives everybody more games to play, and therefore more time to communicate with and learn from one another. Pools also most accurately gauges player ability and provides a solid foundation for the formation of Singles AND Doubles brackets. Depending on the run time, Pools will be used either purely for this reason (meaning no one "drowns in pools") or it will filter into a top 8/16/32/etc. bracket.

Should you find doubles to be an event you're hesitant to enter, feel free to inform me and I will do my best to accommodate you. Part of the pools process can be used to match players together harmoniously as a doubles team, building a sense of community even further. Note, however, that if you want to team with a certain player, nothing will prevent you from doing so (barring their own refusal, of course).

Unfortunately, this decision comes with a sacrifice, ad it's with some sadness that I need to remove Smash 4 and Melee from the lineup. It's become plainly obvious that there's not really any need to cater to the Smash 4 community when other individuals have risen up to provide what I had previously offered. I also fail to rationalize a great need for Melee singles to be on my schedules, considering the general lack of interest I've received there as well. So to benefit the Project M community in Michigan, I'm running just the game we all love to play!

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE
3:00pm Venue Opens
3:45pm Registration closes
4:00pm Project M Pools Begin
5:45pm Project M Pools Conclude/Project M Doubles Begin
7:00pm Project M Doubles Conclude/Singles Begins
9:00pm Project M Singles Concludes

RULES AND STAGELIST
4 Stocks, 8 minute timer
Dave's Stupid Rule in effect: Winner cannot return to a stage they won on
Gentleman's Rule: any mutually agreed upon stage may be played
No Wario Man or Giga Bowser
Game One's stage shall be decided by 1-2-1 striking of stages after both players select their character (double blind selection will be enforced if requested)
Each game after will be decided by the Winner banning 3 stages, leaving the loser to select the stage. The winner will then select their character, after which the loser will select their character.

SINGLES:
Starters: Yoshi's Story, Smashville, Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium 2, Dreamland
Counters: WarioWare, Green Hill Zone, Fountain of Dreams, Final Destination, Yoshi's Island, Delfino's Secret

DOUBLES:
Starters: Smashville, Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium 2, Delfino's Secret, Dreamland
Counters: WarioWare Inc, Final Destination, Yoshi's Island, Distant Planet, Norfair

PAYMENT INFORMATION
$10 for Singles and Doubles Entry
$5 Venue Fee
-$3 off Venue Fee if you provide a Wii with Project M 3.6β.

Payouts will be:
16 or less
1st: 70%
2nd: 30%

17-32
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

33 or More
1st: 60%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 10%