• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Jul 19, 2015] Dragon's Den Wii U Smash Tournament 4 (Poughkeepsie, New York)

JoeR

Smash Cadet
WELCOME TO THE DEN! This tournament will be the Fourth Smash 4 tournament hosted by Dragon’s Den and will feature 1vs1 singles and an Amiibo tournament (FREE WITH TOURNEY FEE)! The last one was great and a ton of fun. WE HAD 50 PEOPLE SHOW UP AND PLAY! Dragon's Den also provided 2 slices of pizza and a soda for 5 extra dollars! Bring your A-game and fight for glory, money and a new custom painted amiibo!

Whether you are looking to improve, join the competitive scene or just want to play, we’d be glad to have you! Plus, Dragon’s Den specializes in cards, comics and gaming, so just seeing the store is worth coming down! Mark your calendars Sunday July 19th, 1PM!

***Additional Setups are welcome and will entitle a discount on tournament entry of 2 dollars. Please help us make this tournament run smoothly! Bring a TV or a Wii U! Last time we had 8 setups and we want to do that again if possible, but it only works if you help us!

Location:Dragons Den. Poughkeepsie Plaza, 2600 South Rd, Poughkeepsie, NY http://www.gamersgambit.com/

Venue Telephone: (845) 471-1401

Sunday, July 19th, 2015

Time: 1PM (Please arrive 30 minutes early to register)

Tournament Fee: 10$

Prizes: Cash prize to the top 3-5 places. prize will be 50 % of the buy ins from contestants. Amiibo tournament will also have a prize of an amiibo, possibly custom. (If we have at least 32 people we will go to a 5 prize turn out)

Example: 32 people x $5 = $160 1. $70 2. $40 3. $25 4. $15 5. $10

• All matches are 2 stock with a 6 minute time limit
• Double elimination
• Best of 3 games, Best of 5 games for Finals
• ALL CHARACTERS ARE LEGAL
• Custom fighters are OFF, including Mii’s
• No items
• The act of stalling is banned and constitutes intentionally making the game unplayable. This includes infinites, chain grabs, and reaching a position your opponent cannot reach. Spamming a move does not constitute stalling.
• Any action to prevent the game from continuing will result in a forfeit for the match.
• Accidental pausing in a match will result in a loss of one stock in game.
• If time runs out the winner it determined by stock and if not by stock then percentage.
• In the event of a percentage tie, there will be a one stock tie breaker match set to 3 minutes on the same stage.
• If a match ends by suicide, such as Bowsercide, the initiator wins the match.
• Coaching is not allowed
• Planking (keeping to an edge excessively) is not allowed.

Amiibo Tournament Rules

• All 1 vs 1 rules apply
• Amiibo may have power ups and custom moves
• No badges that start with items (all others are allowed)

Stage List

Starters

• Final Destination
• Battle Field
• Smashville

Counterpicks

• Castle Seige
• Miiverse
• Dream Land 64
• Delfino Plaza
• Duck Hunt
• Halberd
• Lylat Cruise
• Town and City
• Omega stages *Treated as Final Destination when banning.

Additional Rules

• Stage Striking: Players take turns striking one stage from the starter stage list. The remaining stage is used for the match.
• Stage Clause: You cannot counterpick a stage that has been previously won on or played on.
• Stage Bans: Before the second or third match the player that won may ban 2 stages from the starter or counterpick stage list.

Tournament Organizer: JoeR (mrmet144@aol.com) Just post on this page if possible.

JoeR

Smash Cadet
Please help by bringing setups! This includes TV and Wii U with gamecube adapters! You do not need to provide controllers!

ShadowShlong

Smash Cadet
I can only speak for myself, but the idea of having a doubles tournament over an amiibo one would be awesome. Doubles in smash 4 is just so intense. (or just have the amiibo tourney on like one tv throughout the whole tournament)

Troyfullbuster

Smash Cadet
NNID
Troyfullbuster
why does the first place get less than 50% of the pot like that's the least 1st should get its usually 60-30-10 i mean even if venues is covered in the $10 fee...?

JoeR

Smash Cadet
unless its a just a type from what you wrote about cause half of 160 is 80 not 70 lol
It was just a sample statement, but the main idea is to give more people a chance to win some money. If you play to win cash then it's not your kind of tourney, but if you wanna have fun and share in the wealth then we are where it's at. The goal is to have fun!

JoeR

Smash Cadet
I can only speak for myself, but the idea of having a doubles tournament over an amiibo one would be awesome. Doubles in smash 4 is just so intense. (or just have the amiibo tourney on like one tv throughout the whole tournament)
Doubles would be a great idea, but every tourney almost runs out of time and the amiibo tourney is something unique that we do. Plus the prize is a custom amiibo! Also it gives less experineced players something to gun for. Case and point, a middle school girl won the last amiibo tourney prize and it really made me feel good about it. Try your hand at it!

mmanu

Smash Rookie
Any chance this becomes more than a bi-weekly/monthly? It'd be nice to see the consistency because then I could just request Sundays off from work.

F1rsTxLas7

Smash Rookie
What are the rules for stage striking exactly? P1 strikes a starter, P2, strikes another, and the remaining stage is played on. But what about counterpicking? Does the loser of the previous match strike 2 stages and then the previous winner choose the stage for the next match?

JoeR

Smash Cadet
What are the rules for stage striking exactly? P1 strikes a starter, P2, strikes another, and the remaining stage is played on. But what about counterpicking? Does the loser of the previous match strike 2 stages and then the previous winner choose the stage for the next match?
Winner will strike 2 stages and then loser gets to pick. The first part was correct.

JoeR

Smash Cadet
Any chance this becomes more than a bi-weekly/monthly? It'd be nice to see the consistency because then I could just request Sundays off from work.
Not a chance sadly. This barely fits my schedule as is and might end after the summer depending on my schedule. Once a month for now, but always on a Sunday at least.

GenesisTheSmashColt

Smash Rookie
NNID
GenesisMaster
3DS FC
1160-9984-2569
I called Dragon's Den and I'm planning to go. Super excited! This will probably be my second tournament. Gonna be practicing like hell xD

GenesisTheSmashColt

Smash Rookie
NNID
GenesisMaster
3DS FC
1160-9984-2569
Is it alright if we bring a Pro Controller? That's my controller preference. Also is it possible if we can have Smash 3DS matches before the tournament begins?

LolThisIsAnAlt

Smash Rookie
Hello, I was wondering... Can a 9 year old come in the tourney? This one (By this one I mean me XD) is an awesome player.

JoeR

Smash Cadet
Is it alright if we bring a Pro Controller? That's my controller preference. Also is it possible if we can have Smash 3DS matches before the tournament begins?
All controllers are welcome, but we do encourage gamecube controllers as a preference. Also, please disconnect your controller ENTIRELY once a match is finished.

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
The tourney starts at 1? I saw a poster that said it started at 12. Please clarify!

Last edited:

JoeR

Smash Cadet
The tourney starts at 1? I saw a poster that said it started at 12. Please clarify!
The TOURNEY starts at 1. REGISTRATION starts at 12pm. You saw the advertisement promoted by the Den, which says 12 just to get people their on time and register, which is encouraged.

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
Doubles would indeed be hype

JoeR

Smash Cadet
Doubles would indeed be hype
I would love to do doubles, but I'm only one person and keeping track of doubles might be tough for me. An amiibo tourney can go slow and wont annoy people with when their match is. This is more about me trying to be as effective a host as possible and making sure the main event runs smoothly. Plus, amiibos give players that may not be that good a fair chance at still winning something.

ShadowShlong

Smash Cadet
I would love to do doubles, but I'm only one person and keeping track of doubles might be tough for me. An amiibo tourney can go slow and wont annoy people with when their match is. This is more about me trying to be as effective a host as possible and making sure the main event runs smoothly. Plus, amiibos give players that may not be that good a fair chance at still winning something.
on that last part, the same is true for doubles, if not more so. Two players that alone aren't as good as either their opponents can win against their opponents if they know how to work together and have good situational awareness. the same people will win the 1v1 tourney pretty much everytime, but doubles gives different players a chance to make some of their money back haha

G00mba

Smash Rookie
Hey JoeR, you probably don't know me, but I'm coming with like 5 other people, but we probably won't get there until just before 1:00. Please wait for us! I'll be registering with the same tag (Goomba).

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
Hey just want to say say fantastic tournament, went pretty well considering how few set ups you had and how many people were distracted by the amiibo side tournament.
My only complaint is your ruling on Bowerside, it no longer works as a self-destruct move (it used to go to be in Bowser's favor pre-1.0.4), initiator or not, Bowser releases the opponent before reaching the blast zone ruling this in Bowsers favor is the equivalent or ruling a Kirby/Dedede-side that someone mashed out of in their favor, Ganon's side-B is the only true self-destruct move in the game, in this situation the Bowser-side should only be ruled in Bowser favor is it goes to sudden death, Bowser's opponent can recover, but there's no time because the Bowser player just threw itself into the blast zone.
Other than that fantastic and I can't wait for the next one

JoeR

Smash Cadet
Hey just want to say say fantastic tournament, went pretty well considering how few set ups you had and how many people were distracted by the amiibo side tournament.
My only complaint is your ruling on Bowerside, it no longer works as a self-destruct move (it used to go to be in Bowser's favor pre-1.0.4), initiator or not, Bowser releases the opponent before reaching the blast zone ruling this in Bowsers favor is the equivalent or ruling a Kirby/Dedede-side that someone mashed out of in their favor, Ganon's side-B is the only true self-destruct move in the game, in this situation the Bowser-side should only be ruled in Bowser favor is it goes to sudden death, Bowser's opponent can recover, but there's no time because the Bowser player just threw itself into the blast zone.
Other than that fantastic and I can't wait for the next one
It will be fixed! Thanks!

GenesisTheSmashColt

Smash Rookie
NNID
GenesisMaster
3DS FC
1160-9984-2569
The tournament was really fun, I really enjoyed it! I just wish The Violater didn't kick my Pikachu's ass in the amiibo tournament xD

Top Bottom