• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Journey to Elite Smash with Dark Pit

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
I’ve made it to elite smash twice and fallen out. Currently I sit at 3.9 mil GSP. My obstacles aside from my skills, which do need work, are: The Little Links, Pichu, Yoshi and Disadvantage state problems. I’m hoping you guys can provide advice for these matchups, and tips to improve overall. I’ve been struggling to find a balance between going for the ledge or trying to use my jumps to juke for a landing on stage. The latter seems to be very unsafe, but I want to understand my best possible options. Another problem I have is when I do land with the latter, I get insta grabbed, am I simply doing something wrong or should I just stick to the ledge like a sponge for safe entry? Finally, in the neutral I struggle with correctly spacing Fairs and even performing landing Bairs. Thanks for reading, and please enlighten me with your experience so I may be part of an Uprising with my GSP.

AndrewtheAmericanDude

Smash Cadet
Now u definitely don't want to overuse this, but I feel like a lot of people underrate down b as a landing option. Especially when u haven't used it much and u're struggling to land, land straight on them with down b. Situations where an Ike is sharking underneath u? If u land with it next to him charging fsmash, it'll break and then u get a free fsmash. Even when it doesn't break it can be helpful and it even sometimes pushes people back in the air. People will eventually start baiting it out tho so u have to use it like a falling counter, but now that I know I have that additional option, I feel like my overall landing mixups became better. Especially if someone is charging a smash it just becomes a guaranteed punish. U can finesse it through battlefield platforms too and sometimes can be buffered to escape strings that aren't true.

Going for the ledge often is a good idea but u can definitely land on the stage normally. U can start to drift towards the center or the ledge and then directional air dodge towards the opposite one. And neutral air dodge has less lag.

Those are just some ideas.

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, I made it to elite today! I hope to improve with dark pit, and I also hope patch 3.0.0 improves certain parts of his moveset, namely knockback on forward tilt, up smash and side b. I still have plenty to learn.

AndrewtheAmericanDude

Smash Cadet
Thanks, I made it to elite today! I hope to improve with dark pit, and I also hope patch 3.0.0 improves certain parts of his moveset, namely knockback on forward tilt, up smash and side b. I still have plenty to learn.
Congrats! I just made it to elite too, I need to play more lol. But yeah I agree, lowkey hoping 3.0.0 spreads the love down to the Pits. But at least what we have now is far more manageable than Sm4sh Pits >.>

But yeah best of luck and maybe our elite smash data hit the balance team :p

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
By the way, a tip if you struggle to reach elite smash is set your settings to team battle. It’s the fastest way to reach elite smash if you have a good teammate. The matchmaking will sometimes be solo or free for all, so it gives you a variety of different battles while you’re stuck in the grind. But if you’re amazing and consistent with solo wins, (which can be hard against try hard sword characters) then solo works too. I usually begin with solo if I’m at low GSP, switch to team battle when I’m close to elite, then switch back once I’m in elite. If I want to improve without losing GSP, arena is the place to go.

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
I am very, very bad at landing with Pit, by far it’s my biggest weakness. I know Dair can be used to land but if someone could post something more about landing strategies it would be very beneficial for me.

CoyoteFlavoring

Smash Rookie
I am very, very bad at landing with Pit, by far it’s my biggest weakness. I know Dair can be used to land but if someone could post something more about landing strategies it would be very beneficial for me.
Depends on the matchup (obviously) but I've found DownB to be a pretty good mix up, you also have quite a few different recovery angles so don't just hold in when launched. Changing up your fast fall timing also helps, since we have multiple jumps.

Risky but not a bad idea when your opponent is very aggro, I like to sideB right before I land and power through their dash attacks.

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Made it to Elite for the 6th time with DP. Also have Pit up there as well. Sitting at 4.7 mil GSP roughly for each. By far the MU I struggle with most is Ivysaur Trainer, the razor leaf spam+aerials with their own orbits is awful for me to face.

J.B.

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
1342-4251-4349
I'd agree with the group and say Down-B throws people off if you're not really using it. I tend to avoid landing anywhere near the opponent when I'm in a mid-to-high percent disadvantage/juggle situation though. Ledge ends up being the aim a lot. Doing that is usually pretty easy since you have three jumps to work with it, Side-B with meh super armor, and of course the Up-B that leaps over skyscrapers. I've found I can't land otherwise against a lot of folks, especially in a aggressive way. N-air to land has its weird hitbox and D-air doesn't stun for long enough if you don't bounce their azz. F-air works sometimes if they don't get right under me.

Idk what to say about the Ivy. I usually beat the hell out of them and have the most trouble with the Squirtle. :-/

Top Bottom