• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Joker-Exclusive Advanced Technique (Short hop-special waveland)

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
Background info on how joker's neutral special works:
-hold B to fire bullets repeatedly
-tap multiple times to fire bullets repeatedly faster than by just holding
-if you move the left stick sideways joker will dash and keep firing bullets if youre pressing or tapping b (works in the air)
-joker can dash up to 5 times, each time he dashes the dashes become laggier similar to the roll mechanic
-if you're pressing/tapping b and you imput a jump, joker will jump to the direction you're poitning with your left stick and shoot multiple bullets downwards
-if you jump, press special and press the stick downwards joker will shoot downwards similar to what i mentioned above
-if you jump, press special and press the stick upwards joker will shoot like bayo's held up-air
-while jumping you can only dash twice in the air (instead of 5 times)... your second jump wont cancel dashes you havent used and you can dash twice either before or after the second jump... or dash, jump, dash

The Technique:
Now that we broke down joker's neutral B, I noticed that if you short hop, instantly press B to special and press the stick towards any side, joker will short hop, shoot and slide to the direction you input. Doing this from such a low height cancel's the second bullet that would have been shot due to the dash imput and grants joker the ability to do really jong slides without any sort of end lag (you can follow up with grabs/attacks/etc)

It is possible that if you do a full hop, calculate your height before you hit the ground, you press special and you dash will make you perform the technique explained above

The first time i noticed this I don't recall if i did it from a short hop or a full hop, but I am 100% certain that I was doing the upwards held shooting imput (the bayo-uair-like movement) and proceeded to cancel into a waveland, which not only did about 8-12% to my opponent, but it also allowed me to follow up with a grab.

NOTES:
-This technique works with B reversals (allows you to have great mobility for mindgames/mixups/followups)
-The waveland slide is always longer towards joker's front... the retreating waveland is a bit shorter, but it can be done

I'm uploading a 1min long video of this technique in action, my phone says it will be up in about an hour... god bless my third world country internet speed

Edit: added the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggh5TzneKxY

Last edited:

imaneutrino

Smash Rookie
This is actually so cool, and probably has multiple applications. If you're still shooting or holding b, will he still shoot the gun at the end of the slide?

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
This is actually so cool, and probably has multiple applications. If you're still shooting or holding b, will he still shoot the gun at the end of the slide?
good question.
you need to keep B pressed or tap B timing it perfectly in between the slides

I highly suggest though to keep the B pressed since the slide is both longer and more consistent due to easier timing

to use the gun alone without a wavedash its definitely better to tap multiple times (learn the timing)

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
I feel the need to point something out to people.

The reason why a wavedash in Melee is so good is because you can act during the wavedash.

Joker cannot act during the slide, only at the end of it, just like wavedashing and wavelanding in Ultimate in general.

That does heavily impact it's usefulness!

I know you see the slide and think, "this travels a long distance, so clearly it is more useful".

However, the distance traveled is not the key factor in the usefulness, the key factor is when you can act and how telegraphed it is.

The gun dash is incredibly telegraphed, people don't run around short hop gunning with Joker, so when you see a short hop gun you have a pretty good idea of what is going to happen next and when.

So that gives you all that time to prepare a hitbox for them to run into.

There will be scenarios where the gun dash is useful, but people have definitely overhyped the usefulness of the tech.

Top Bottom