• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Joining the Community

Poo Head Yozora

Smash Rookie
NNID
FabledOblivion
Hello everyone! I know that I am a bit late, but I have wanted to join the Smash scene after watching Apex last weekend. I've been wanting to join a fighting game community for a while and decided that Smash Bros has a rather large scene and the Wii U scene is still growing. I know that I have Melee and Brawl mains, but all that I really play now is Wii U and 3DS.
My current mains are Palutena and Lucina since Kid Icarus: Uprising and Fire Emblem: Awakening are my favorite Nintendo games. I know that they aren't the best, but that isn't a big deal to me. I want to start playing in tournaments and events so if any one knows of a tournament scene in Maryland that would be a big help. Some of my other interests include other fighting games (I have an interest in just about any fighting game, mostly Dead or Alive and Mortal Kombat), anime, Pokemon, and League of Legends.

Lastly, I know that simply playing the game is best way to practice, but does anyone practice in a particular way? Do you find that practicing mechanics like short hops and perfect pivoting best practiced in training or against an opponent? Any other tips for improving?

Dark Socks

Smash Rookie
NNID
turtlebizniz
3DS FC
3325-2131-5764
does anyone practice in a particular way?
Personally I found that a good formula for getting things down is practicing the mechanics until you can do it consistently, then trying to apply it into actual fights. The practice helps you avoid misinputs and testing it out on people lets you know when and when not to do whatever it is you want to do.

Also, Hey how are you? Wanna add me on the Wii U so we can spar sometime?

Wheo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Inakenty
Welcome Poo :D
If you want to get better try to play only against people who are better or as good as you :)
Learn everything about your main char , every combo he/she can do every tricks he/she has. Watch Videos where people playing your main and try to learn some new things about your char. Create some Strategies for your main chars against every other char.
For expample i main link and if i meet a sonic i just put all my bombs on the ground , so that sonic cant roll around so much but if i play against a fox guy i almost never use bombs.
i hope could help you a bit :)
if you wanna help me too you can check out my youtube channel
grettings wheo ;)

Last edited:

Poo Head Yozora

Smash Rookie
NNID
FabledOblivion
Personally I found that a good formula for getting things down is practicing the mechanics until you can do it consistently, then trying to apply it into actual fights. The practice helps you avoid misinputs and testing it out on people lets you know when and when not to do whatever it is you want to do.

Also, Hey how are you? Wanna add me on the Wii U so we can spar sometime?
I'd be happy to spar with you. My internet isn't the best so we may occasionally have lag but my ID is FabledOblivion. I look forward to playing with you.

Welcome Poo :D
If you want to get better try to play only against people who are better or as good as you :)
Learn everything about your main char , every combo he/she can do every tricks he/she has. Watch Videos where people playing your main and try to learn some new things about your char. Create some Strategies for your main chars against every other char.
For expample i main link and if i meet a sonic i just put all my bombs on the ground , so that sonic cant roll around so much but if i play against a fox guy i almost never use bombs.
i hope could help you a bit :)
if you wanna help me too you can check out my youtube channel
grettings wheo ;)
I've been watching a lot of videos lately. I have combos down so now I just have to work on mechanics and match-ups. Thanks for the help!

Dark Socks

Smash Rookie
NNID
turtlebizniz
3DS FC
3325-2131-5764
My internet isn't the best so we may occasionally have lag
That was supposed to be my pre-johns. I've got nothing now. :chuckle:

Also, request sent. If we're lucky we can have at least a few lagless matches, who knows.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I practice by playing high level players constantly, learning matchups and picking up characters to make up for some matchups
It's why I use :4link::4kirby::4pit::4shulk::4robinf::4sheik:
Welcome to the boards btw!

Last edited:

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
Welcome to the SmashBoards community! And while she probably isn't that good default, Palutena might have potential to be one of the best in custom enabled tourneys.
And what kinds of Anime do you like, and how much do you play Pokemon?

And I prefer both for practicing, training for learning how to do it and make sure you're doing it right, and real matches to learn how to do it under pressure and know when to actually do it.
And for other tips, I just read character specific boards and watch videos of and from top level players, especially the ones that make tutorial videos like Dabuz.

Poo Head Yozora

Smash Rookie
NNID
FabledOblivion
Welcome to the SmashBoards community! And while she probably isn't that good default, Palutena might have potential to be one of the best in custom enabled tourneys.
And what kinds of Anime do you like, and how much do you play Pokemon?

And I prefer both for practicing, training for learning how to do it and make sure you're doing it right, and real matches to learn how to do it under pressure and know when to actually do it.
And for other tips, I just read character specific boards and watch videos of and from top level players, especially the ones that make tutorial videos like Dabuz.
I do think that Palutena would be super viable if she were allowed to use her customs. Apparently, I can't post links yet so I will update my profile to have myanimelist on it so that you can see what I have watched so far. For this season I have really liked Death Parade and keeping up with Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu (Parasyte in English). I haven't really played as much Pokemon as I have wanted to lately. Don't even have my first badge in Omega Ruby yet and Pokemon Showdown hasn't been working for me lately. Anyways, thanks for welcoming me to the boards!

Welcome! I'm also fairly new, so definitely hit me up with an add on either 3DS or Wii U and we can play some time! (Details under my avatar)
Nice to meet another newcomer. I will probably add you later in the week since classes have been keeping me busy lately and there is a convention this weekend.

Nem

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4264-9955-3401
Nice to meet another newcomer. I will probably add you later in the week since classes have been keeping me busy lately and there is a convention this weekend.
Just beat you to it dude, just accept when you're on next. :)

Know that feel man. Classes are totally beating me into the ground at the moment. Smash keeps me sane.

Top Bottom