• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Joining First Tourney 11/20. Any Tips?

MisterSonic

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicStorm120
3DS FC
0834-3074-0934
I've joined a tourney at GameStop for the release of the new Super Smash Bros. Anyone got any ideas for competitive matches? I know some basic tourney rules but additional help would be fine. Thanks

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
Be ok with losing your first tourny. Go to learn, not to win.

Try to win obviously but it shouldn't be your primary concern.

Play a character you want to get good with, not one you feel would be better in the match up.

MisterSonic

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicStorm120
3DS FC
0834-3074-0934
Be ok with losing your first tourny. Go to learn, not to win.

Try to win obviously but it shouldn't be your primary concern.

Play a character you want to get good with, not one you feel would be better in the match up.
Yeah, I was having a tough decision between either Lucario & Sonic. I ended up picking Sonic due to speed, and Smash Tourneys don't happen that often here in Georgia.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I don't know how many set-ups there would be at a Gamestop, but play as many Friendlies as possible with as many people as possible.

It'll keep you warmed up, and you get to meet new people.

Assuming they'll allow Friendlies, of course.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Georgia steals all our east alabama players for their frequent tournaments :(

Try going to the Georgia social thread in regional zones and getting in the know that way. You could also check the tournament listing a bunch for georgia stuff but tournament listings still aren't organized by region in this forum, IDK why.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
The most important things you can do at your first tourney are to soak up all the information you can and to make as many social connections with dedicated (new or old) players as possible. If you keep going to tournaments you are going to see these same people a lot; get to know them and your experiences will be much more enjoyable, you'll also have a network of smashers you can share info with and learn from for years. Ask lots of questions, we were all new players once and most of us are just excited to see our scenes expanding.

Top Bottom