• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff's Gender

How do you normally see Jigglypuff's gender?

• Male (Always use "he," "him," etc.)

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Female (Always use "she," "her," etc.)

Votes: 41 68.3%
  • Either (Always use "it")

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

TealPlatypus

Smash Cadet
Jigglypuff's gender has never been confirmed in the Smash series, but many people often assign her it a gender regardless. What gender do you usually see Jigglypuff as?

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
I've always seen mine as a male, or the ones I use, anyway. Many of the costumes are more obviously female-looking to me, but I haven't found myself using them as much outside of the occasional blue bow in 64 and crown in Melee (though I guess technically neither of those have to be female, but that's how I see them). I mainly gravitated toward no-hat Jiggs in 64 and Melee (always saw it as a male), then sleepy cap in Brawl (same), and even though I use Leaf's cap in Wii U, it looks like a boy to me because of the boater style it has going on. Ironically, the bug catcher's hat is only worn by male trainers in the games, yet I've always seen that Jigglypuff as female. LOL

Not to get too far off-track here, but I've also seen a lot of people refer to Pikachu as a girl in Smash, and while that could be the case classically since, like Jigglypuff, Pikachu is a species of Pokemon, more modern female Pikachus have heart-shaped ends to their tails... I was actually hoping that would be incorporated in some of the alts in this entry to the series, but alas.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
I've always seen mine as a male, or the ones I use, anyway. Many of the costumes are more obviously female-looking to me, but I haven't found myself using them as much outside of the occasional blue bow in 64 and crown in Melee (though I guess technically neither of those have to be female, but that's how I see them). I mainly gravitated toward no-hat Jiggs in 64 and Melee (always saw it as a male), then sleepy cap in Brawl (same), and even though I use Leaf's cap in Wii U, it looks like a boy to me because of the boater style it has going on. Ironically, the bug catcher's hat is only worn by male trainers in the games, yet I've always seen that Jigglypuff as female. LOL

Not to get too far off-track here, but I've also seen a lot of people refer to Pikachu as a girl in Smash, and while that could be the case classically since, like Jigglypuff, Pikachu is a species of Pokemon, more modern female Pikachus have heart-shaped ends to their tails... I was actually hoping that would be incorporated in some of the alts in this entry to the series, but alas.
Sorry you are wrong puff is female bc you can't ruin my character for me.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
pikachu has the male trainer hats

jigglypuff has the female trainer hats

i'm all for breaking stereotypes but japanese game dev is not where i expect this to happen

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I always assumed Jiggs was a female. I like it that way too, so I really don't care, I'm calling her a her.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I'm not the one to ask, but I would say "it" or "they" when referring to Jiggs, like how people often say "they" when they're talking about someone whose gender they don't know (like if the person they're talking to said, "My friend" or something).

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm not the one to ask, but I would say "it" or "they" when referring to Jiggs, like how people often say "they" when they're talking about someone whose gender they don't know (like if the person they're talking to said, "My friend" or something).
I'm pretty sure Sakurai refereed to Jiggs as a girl on a few occasions. Jigglypuff's are also female 75% of the time, so it's safe to assume at least 6 of the costumes are female. The lady hats are a good hint as well, that she is in fact female. I'd rather just say Jiggs is a chick.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Speaking of grills, that profile pic tho.

Also, totally on the grill train.
Those aren't grills, they're shiny teeth that sparkle just like the stars in space...

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I'm pretty sure Sakurai refereed to Jiggs as a girl on a few occasions. Jigglypuff's are also female 75% of the time, so it's safe to assume at least 6 of the costumes are female. The lady hats are a good hint as well, that she is in fact female. I'd rather just say Jiggs is a chick.
Welp.

See, I'm not the person to ask.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
It's very likely that Jigglypuff is a female in this game. Pikachu's alts all reference the male protagonists from the series...

(you can clearly see references to Red, Brendan, Ethan and Calem)
...while Jigglypuff's always reference the female protagonists.

(In this case, Leaf, Yellow, the Pokemon Centres' nurses and Serena)
Not only that, but like stated before, a great majority of Jigglypuff are female, so that reinforces this theory.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Don't take this as a serious "You have to listen to me!" comment (I'm not like that.), but there's some logic missing here that's being overlooked, so I thought I'd share. TealPlatypus TealPlatypus was mainly pointing to the perception of the players/viewers in the first place, but anyway.

What gender do you usually see Jigglypuff as?
I agree with you all that the majority of palettes were intended to be female, but there's really no reason to believe it's so one-sided, or try to make it that way. Sakurai may have referred to Jiggs as a girl, even on "numerous occasions", but that could simply mean he mainly sees it as a girl, not that they're all girls (because, as stated, not all Jigglypuffs are girls, and there's literally no way of telling the difference between male and female Puffs unlike Pikachu, which shouldn't even be a question or involve the hats at this point according to the modern female Pikachu tail). Also, I've often seen references to how controlling either The Pokemon Company or Game Freak Inc. (can never remember which one this applies to) can be when it comes to cases like these, so Sakurai may have had little input on the gender for each individual Jigglypuff palette. People often seem to forget just how many are involved with the various properties Sakurai works with.

Yellow was a character created for the Pokemon manga, so it's unlikely she was used as a reference for the wide-brim straw hat. The images of Yellow's hat also seem to indicate that it is not the same hat as the one Puff wears (not an even brim all the way around, and much much larger), but rather the bug catcher's hat (always male, and even referred to as "bug boys" in Pokemon Stadium; click on the link for images). It is more commonly understood to be this hat. The bug catcher's original hat ribbon was actually red, but changed to blue as the series continued. Even so, there's nothing to say the Puff wearing that hat can't be female, because girls wear straw hats too, obviously.

The nightcap is a classic garment for men, as seen in this Wikipedia article. Nightcaps for women were different. To quote: "Women's night caps usually consisted of a long piece of cloth wrapped around the head. Men's nightcaps were traditionally pointed, with a long top, usually accompanied by a small ball of some sort, which was used similar to a scarf. It kept the neck warm while not being so long that it could wrap around and become a choking hazard." It's interesting to note that it seems to be Kirby's sleep copy ability hat from Super Star, and Kirby is supposedly a boy, though I'm not sure if that's totally confirmed since "his", "him" and "he" can all be used in reference to females. Yet, once again, there's no reason Jigglypuff can't be a girl while wearing this hat if the player sees it that way.

Again, Leaf's hat is a boater, a formal summer hat originally worn by men, but more recently worn by women as well (While I'm on the subject, boy do you have to have the right face for a boater as a dude; I was given one and it just doesn't look good on me at all. More the panama type, myself.). So technically, is this a hat limited to females? No, it isn't.

I'm just trying to show here that it really does come down to the fact that not all Jigglypuffs are female and not all of the hats are as gender-specific as some make them out to be, so the gender is mostly in the eyes of the beholder. I use the word "mostly" since there are cases here where, according to the hat, the styling Jigglypuff in question is most definitely meant to be female (i.e. Nurse Joy hat and others). If Nintendo can claim Toads are genderless when some of them seem so plainly male or female, it seems perfectly reasonable that some Jigglypuff palettes in this game could go either way, or even be more specific according to how each individual sees them.

Oh, and by the way, Charizard is obviously female in this game, no males. Just kidding~ :skull:

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Either gender, which is why I typically refer to Jigglypuff as "it". Also, some of Jigglypuff's caps aren't female-related.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
I've always perceived the pink puffball as a female even when I was a kid, but that's just me though. By all means. If you view Sleepypuff as a male or an it, then Sleepypuff is a male or an it to you.

secretlymrsaturn

Smash Rookie
tbh, i think all 8 pokemon alts are actually different pokemon being used by different trainers, y'know?

7rinity

Smash Rookie
Not to mention female Pikachus have a different tail.

I guess the gender of Jigglypuff really is either one you want it to be, even if their outfits are feminine.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Jigglypuff is female, there is no opinion, you're wrong, end of story, good bye.

But seriously, some of Jigglypuff's hats (particularly the hibiscus and the giant ribbon) are too feminine for it to be male. There's also the fact 3/4 of all Jigglypuff are female, and I'd feel really weird about calling her the best waifu if "she" was actually "he."

Joel_Tarkus

Smash Cadet
NNID
explodingmuffin7
Oh Jiggs! One of my favorite sandbagging characters, how I tried to main her once before realizing my attempts of utilizing the character effectively were futile. I have massive respect for all you puff mains especially in Smash 4 but enough of that. Most Pokemon are technically able to be both genders and while I see her as a her it really depends on how you see your Jigglypuff, while someone else may use a "male" Jigglypuff. You can use your "attack helicopter" JIggs. It all just depends on how you personally see it.

Mafew

Smash Rookie
I voted “either” because there is not enough evidence to support one side or another. However Jigglypuff’s first alt has a flower and Jigg’s gender ratio has a more likely chance of being female. So it is most likely female but not enough evidence to say for sure.

Top Bottom