• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff vs. Little Mac

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
Despite the fact that Jiggly is the master of the air, I can do anything against a Little Mac. I'm trying to bring him near the edge to WoP him but I just can't. All his frames of superarmor prevent me to launch him and he's too fast to allow me to combos with Fair or Bair. Another thing that is problematic is his counter. I'm not against an Amiibo but the CPU lvl 9 always does a counter when I'm trying to do an aerial. I can barely attack him because of that. And when I hit him, superarmor doesn't make him flich and his attack with a powerful USmash or other.

The only way I found to KO him is to airdodge and Rest. And for that, I need to damage him, and I have difficulties to do so. Also because of his attacks too powerful, I can't even Dodge/Crouch + Rest because his attacks will destroy my shield and OHKO me.

Do you have any advices to kill Little Mac? I though it was easy because he can do nothing in the air but the only action to bring him near the ledge seems impossible to me. I'm pretty good with Jigglypuff to WoP and use combos (usually) but against him, I don't know what to do.

Last edited:

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
I'll try to use them more often my throws. Any do you prefer against him?

And why couldn't fight level nine? I can beat my Amiibos with Jigglypuff, so why not a lvl 9?

Last edited:

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Level nines read your inputs and can react near frame-perfectly, a feat that cannot be preformed by a single human being. It is literally impossible to bait out an air dodge on a lvl 9 because they simply airdodge upon reaction. They counter like that too.

Level 8s do some of this, but it's not as egregious.

Overall, I'd say fight a real person, but if you can't, an amiibo is the best.

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
Oh I didn't know that but you're probably right. That's exactly what I noticed. I have Amiibos but aren't a bit like lvl 9 with the reaction to frame? And what I don't really like with playing against real people is that I don't chose the opponent. In Glory, I have to fight against who the other chose. I can't decide to practice myself against Little Mac.

TakeYourHeart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
solemnpancake
I'd recommend getting a friend to help you practice this Matchup, but unfortunately it is solidly in Mac's favor as he as a character exasperates all of Jigglypuff's problems (Mac can trade blows very well with super armor, Jigglypuff can barely afford to trade, Jigglypuff needs to go in, Mac can afford to be mostly still in this matchup since his defensive options are solid, Jiggly is light, Mac hits hard, etc.)

It's very difficult. You need to be either a god at landing Rest kills or just be a solidly better player.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Both have significant advantages in their own field, the thing is that neutral is the default, and it's easier to get to neutral than to get to a ledge scenario. You can even powershield Rest onstage sideB recovery if they ever try that option, but the neutral is just in Mac's favor if they aren't braindead.

If you want to practice specific matchups you can probably head to smashladder and request matches.

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
That's probably what I'll do. So I'm normal to have some difficulties to beat Little Mac ? xD I'll practice this matchup with lvl 9 but I'll try too to fight against friends or at smashladder. Is the Online with friends still lagging? I couldn't play with specific person in the 3DS version, I never tried on Wii U. I hope it will be fine now. Someone knows?

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
Amiibo are terrible for practice, do not use them for that purpose at all. Not only are they just as obnoxious, if not more, than normal CPUs, but they also get buffed stats without even being fed equipment. CPUs are vastly superior for that reason alone, because at least they deal normal damage and get KOd at normal times.

Also, Jigglypuff is not inherently the master of the air. There are other characters with just as good or better aerials. Jigglypuff just so happens to rely entirely on aerials in the same way that Little Mac relies entirely on ground based attacks.

Anyway, staying at a 45 above Little Mac is the way to go. He cannot touch you while you are there. Getting down might be tricky because of super armor up smash, but at that angle above him you are untouchable. Don't get caught in your shield, down angled f-smash will break your shield and instantly KO you. Don't try to power through his attacks, they will kill you very early. Staying near the ledge is a good place to be, because that is a very scary place for Little Mac to be, and you can always float off stage for a bit, where he can't touch you.

EDIT: Btw, what everybody else is saying is true. It is a very scary matchup for Jiggs. The things I suggested are only short term safety nets, and can be punished relatively easily if you don't have a plan for getting down/back to stage.

Also, Anther's Ladder is very good. If you play 8 matches, it will give you a preliminary ranking, and if you play more it adjusts your ranking. You can then try to find opponents in your tier or the tier above who main Mac to practice with people of your skill level.

Last edited:

Blaq Sheep

Smash Rookie
For the majority of player controlled Little Macs I've played, the better players all like to feign their approaches (dash dances or dash into rolls) and because of Mac's ground speed, that's where I find the match to be most challenging.

After a stale few seconds of them doing that and myself just short hopping back and forth tracking at their approach, I usually lead in with a NAir on where I know their next movement will take them. From there I do my best to push them back (NAir, FAir, jab and FTilt) to which ever edge is closest and make sure I am ALWAYS closest to center stage and push them towards the edge. The more damage they take, the more knock back they receive, the stronger of a wall you become. Keep closing down their space. Doing this not only limits the ground the opposition has to work with, but also has the majority of the stage to your backside so a super armor smash connecting will be less worrisome as compared to having Jiggs towards the edge and Mac toward the center. A smart Mac will not rush to follow you to the edge so walling him and closing down seems more reliable.

Though Mac's moves are powerful and eat up shield quickly, shield grabbing is one of the better ways to land a grab on such a fast character. Any throw towards the edge or that put Mac in the air exploit his need to be grounded and control center stage.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Most importantly, don't commit to anything because a smash attack out of Shield might be the last thing you see if Mac shields something of yours. Recklessness will probably be your worst enemy here, because this matchup requires patience. Mac can afford to make mistakes, you can't. You definitely want him off stage, so if possible, try to lure him towards the ledge.

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
With an ethernet adapter, lag will greatly improve. And against someone from your city, there is almost no lag

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
I admit, if I had an ethernet adapter, it would help a lot. I never though to buy and use one. This will improve a lot my online battles.

For the lags, what I noticed, as I said, is when I'm in For Glory with random person around the world, it's pretty fin. There is some but it's easy to fight almost normaly. Howerver, when I'm with a friend online (in the same city), lags are incredible and we can't fight at all. But this is with the wi-fi, I never tried with the Ethernet adapter. And I'm not sure I can because of where my modem/router are.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Just go to a tournament and try to get people to fight you with little mac. Little mac actually wins in the matchup, that is if he knows what you're supposed to do while playing Jigglypuff, and you'll need to get better with the matchup knowledge in order to beat him, and to do that you'll have to watch youtube, practice, and come up with strategies.

PKPro

Smash Rookie
My friend mains lil mac And i main jigglypuff. When we spar this is are most common MU. He is a great lil mac player (best ive seen) and i am not really alll that great but am a decent jigglypuff. So am an expert in this specific MU
The problem is to get lil mac of the ground.
Learn to powershield
when he hits you with tilt attack on sheild just shield grab. Its the only thing you can do. Any smash attack on shield will give you enough time to run and grab, dash attack or f-tilt him.
spotdodge works to avoid mac smash and go for a grab. If you want to rest mac you can do it in the middle of his rapid jabs, try to catch him after the super armor frame of his smash attacks learn were it doesn't hit and go in there.
These are a basic way of keeping a lil mac of the ground and dealing a bit of damage.
never try to hit lil mac with areials when he is in the ground. NEVER its bad
never try to hit him when he doing smash attacks. Its best to grab him out of it or attack him towards the ending lag (its a little but he does have a few frames were he can do anything). Nair or rest are fast enough if close enough too.
Never rush or get impatient with a lil mac this is bad. It leads to death
its best to relax and be patience. See what he does and react to it. Or bait out something and then strike. If you just walk towards him will put pressure on the mac main to do something.
These are basic tips to help you out in this MU. If you still have problems and need more answer. I can help. Trust me i played this scenario so many times. I know what to do in any situation. Im mostly the one winning but not by alot. Its not all in macs favor. It leans more towards jigglypuff.

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
Thank you very much. That helps me a lot. I will try every tips you gave me and I could probably finally beat him. Your advices are great and I'll try to practice them as often as I can. I just bought a Jigglypuff Amiibo, so I'll try to make it fight against lil mac and I'll see if I find other tips. Thank you so much!!

Top Bottom