• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff tips and advice

How viable do you think SSB4 jigglypuff is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
Now I just want to say a few tips and many things I have found to help puff mains out there, or maybe create new ones! While I'd say I'm an above average puff player, I have only played the 3ds version. Sadly I don't have the money to buy a WiiU currently, though that will change soon. Regardless I hope that doesn't discourage you from taking my advice.
Tilts, aerials
First of all while jigglypuff is the lightest in game don't let that discourage you. There's many reasons why I have mained the puff. First of all her weight negates many of the combo's certain characters throw out at higher percents. While she may get killed earlier then most characters in the roster the good she has outweighs the bad. Jigglypuff is almost 100% pure aerial combat based. All her aerials are either good or great. Fair is good for spacing and pressuring, uair is good for punishing air dodges and unsafe aerials thrown out by others. Dair is good off stage or as a mix up on stage, since it has pretty bad ending lag if you miss it or if it's shielded. Bair is an amazing kill move though it has a bit of end lag. Nair is AMAZING since gimping with it is a breeze if you get a chance too. While laggy it lasts for quite a long time (Can challenge almost every recovery making gimping way easier) Her tilts aren't that great, though down/side tilt is decent. Her jabs are good but not amazing. Dash attack has some distance but pretty unsafe if done in the wrong situation. Grab range is good enough. Her recovery is great.
Advice
I think you'll bring the most out of jigglypuff if you play VERY offensively. Pressure opponents aerials, if you find the opponent shielding or anticipating the aerials then go for a grab. Ground game isn't really jigglypuff's area since she has slow running speed and pretty much terrible tilts. Though don't be afraid to go for jabs and dash attacks when the opportunity presents itself. When you get the opponent off stage then nows your chance to go for those gimps/extra damage. Nair is one of her best options off stage but theres always fair/bair and dair.
Specials
Now for her specials. Sing is highly situational and I practically never use it. Roll out is pretty darn terrible. Rest is one of her best kill options. Pound is good for mix ups and shield pressuring, though make sure to space it right so you don't get punished.
Punishing
If you ever see rolling habits nair is one of the best option she has to secure your punish, but if you notice your opponent is at a good % then you should highly consider rest to take a stock. If some one does not tech your aerials then go for dash attack AND if they dont tech AGAIN then go for another one. I've done this punish hundreds of times. Though a simple fair can do the job as well. If you notice some one loves to spot/air doge then go for a nair, most of the time its unavoidable. A lot of the time opponents will shield the moment you go air borne trying to predict an aerial, you can take advantage of this and instead go for a grab. One important note is that most of the rosters dash attacks leave the enemy up close to you, shielding it at the right % can lead to an instant punish with rest.
"Combo's" and rest
While jigglypuff doesnt essentially have combo's she does have a few certain tools up her sleeve.
jabx2>jabx2 works a lot of the time, but you can also follow up with a d-tilt after the jab.
You can also go for jabx2>jabx2>d-tilt if you anticipate a grab. At lower percents pound>grab is possible due to people air dodging out of anticipation of an aerial. Jab>rest is also a true combo for a few characters in the roster, though it will not kill. If you can find the opportunity you can also go for uptiltx2>rest at lower percents, though I dont recommend this. Now I have found out through my countless hours of play that as soon as your opponent reaches the ledge and needs to choose an option rolling towards the lip of the stage seems to force a roll option upon many, because of this, once you predict the roll instantly roll back for a free rest. Ive done this punish many MANY times. Now if we look into customs jigglypuff pound3 combo's into rest if you read their DI correctly.
Side notes
Nair seems to kill around 120% for most characters near the edge of the stage for most stages.
You should only go for rest if the opponent is at 60% and above
Reading is essential if you want to bring up those rest reads and punishes for jigglypuff
Bair seems to kill at 90% near the edge as well.
Jigglypuff can crouch many of the characters grabs/attacks/projectiles
Dair combo's into rest buts it's pretty hard to pull off
Fair>Rest is a true combo that kills. Should only be used if the opponent didn't DI your fair right, but even then its still risky and tricky to pull off.
I recommend not using roll out AT ALL though thats totally on you
This is some of the information I thought I could share to help other puff mains. Hopefully this helps (This is my first thread so show some mercy, haha) NOW GO UNLEASH THE PUFFS FURY

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
You should put on the list the rising Dair rest, and maybe the jab SH rest at higher percents kill. Also, it may be nice to add bullets and such so it doesn't look so cluttered. By the way, welcome to smashboards!!!! :D

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
You should put on the list the rising Dair rest, and maybe the jab SH rest at higher percents kill. Also, it may be nice to add bullets and such so it doesn't look so cluttered. By the way, welcome to smashboards!!!! :D
This was sorta rushed (for an unknown reason, haha) but thanks for the advice, I'll add it soon. Also thanks for the welcoming!

Top Bottom