• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff Rollout

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
Any tips on countering Jigglypuff's rollout besides shielding/rolling? Can you negate with a tilt or just a smash?
I guess it depends on who you're using vs jiggs. Example: toon link can negate a fully charged rollout with his boomerang. High mobility chars tend to jump the first pass and shield the next to punish. Unless you're caught doing something, punishing rollout tends to be easy if you can figure out where jiggs will roll. Also in some cases getting hit by it is better. Example: If the jiggs is using it to recover back on stage, you can jump in front of it and take the hit. Jiggs will be stuck in a free-fall-esque rollout animation till she lands or touches the bottom blast zone. of course you can save her by hitting her out of it if you feel bad~

I don't use rollout much if ever, at times I think I don't even have a neutral b, so I can't say too much on what stops it. Most projectiles should at least stop if not beat out rollout though. You could even set up some traps if you're playing chars like zelda/t.link/DHD/etc. Or anything with a wide or lingering hitbox such as thoron.

I'm not sure on tilts vs a fully charged one but well-timed smashes should beat it out each time, bit of a risk though cause we can choose when to release rollout.(I think, again i haven't used it much personally.)

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Any tips on countering Jigglypuff's rollout besides shielding/rolling? Can you negate with a tilt or just a smash?
Be a decent distance away so you can react to it, spotdodge it as it's coming toward you, punish on the way back.

Easy-peasy. Rollout is basically useless as a result of not being able to stop after the first pass. Once you get used to how long it takes for Jigglypuff to steer it in the opposite direction, it's trivial to punish its use.

Last edited:

[mastershake]~~

Smash Cadet
I play shulk so projectiles are out....I never see anyone use it but I had a guy that was spamming it and couldn't come up with and answer haha. I should have tried to tilt against it to test but shulk's moves are pretty laggy so I just stuck to shielding. I'm sure that's its more that I'm not used to the timing rather than it being difficult to punish b/c again it is infrequently used. Thanks for the help!

GrosMinou

Turbo Scrub
Why not just counter if you play shulk? Rollour is super predictable and your counter last for sooooo long. In the worst case, if you don't dmg him, you atleast evade the attack...

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Kinda off topic, but I really don't understand why the hell rollout was nerfed in terms of knockback in this game.

If someone falls for this move them they deserve to be launched, this move in brawl was super high risk/high reward, now it is super high risk/low reward.

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Only time I've really managed to use Rollout is when Lucario uses his Up B and recovers on the stage. The end lag of that move is so horrible you have time to charge up a partial rollout and hit him. Otherwise I rarely use this move as there's so many ways to beat it.

Looks like most options to deal with it have been covered though. Counter it, jump to avoid it, face away and shield grab it.

Zigoon95

Smash Rookie
Why not just counter if you play shulk? Rollour is super predictable and your counter last for sooooo long. In the worst case, if you don't dmg him, you atleast evade the attack...
Rollout can ignore most of the counters if used well. I killed many Shulks/Marths/Lucinas/Ikes who countered Rollout but didn't hit Jigglypuff, reverting the roll after it. It's a bit harder against Greninja, Lucario and Little Mac, but not impossible. I should test more against Palutena, while against Peach is nearly impossible..
Anyway, Shulk's fsmash/dsmash might be better options because of their range. But it's all about timing.

Last edited:

LightlyToasted

Smash Cadet
It's a practice thing. you can hit her out of it or grab her out of shield once you practice enough. That predictability what makes it bad at a higher level, and really only DECENT as punishing landing lag.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
I would just usually grab the rollout on the spot.
Because I love ballsy stuff like that.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
In Brawl you could face away from Jigglypuff and shield, grabbing her after she passes you. It's less timing-heavy and allows you to grab if she hits you OR if she dodges behind you, covering all her options. Also, if you mess up the timing, you don't get hit, so it's basically risk-free.

I imagine it works in Smash 4. If it does, it's an absolute counter to rollout.

RyanMelon

Smash Cadet
NNID
RyanMelon
Counter doesn't work bc jiggly rolls past the hit box by the time the attack goes off.
Does Shulk's Downsmash beat it? I know Shulk has a long downsmash that covers both sides, so if you're at a distance you could try that

Top Bottom