• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff Mastery

King's Blade

Smash Rookie
NNID
Insomniac26
3DS FC
0602-7351-4100
What are the necessary basic and advanced techniques to master in order to play jigglypuff effectively? Any tips or tricks to make it easier to master these techniques? I really like jigglypuff's playstyle and i really want to master her.(btw I'm new here so idk if this is the right subforum to post this here)

Tercero

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm new on this forum too. In this game (as in previous ones) an important part of jigglypuff's game is aerials. Each one is very good and is suited for different conditions and strategies. First, neutral air comes out very fast and has a long lasting time. Since it lasts for an extended period of time you can move jiggly and strafe the move across an opponent. His nair also has some hitboxes behind jiggly. This make the attack very useful and i like to use it a lot when I'm close to an opponent/ out of the shield. A short hop and nair is good in this situations because its quick, will hang out there for a bit, and even if the opponent rolls behind you he/she might get hit.

Forward air is another aerial thats good in this game. It takes a longer time to come out than the nair, but it still has a lot of good uses. You can actually sting some fair's together to a similar effect to the WoP from melee.

Backwards air is also really useful. For one thing it takes a good chunk of percent out the opponent. It also has incredible knock back. This makes it very useful for k.o.-ing opponents. I found I had k.o.'s with bair as low as about 80% which is really good in this game.

Similiarly, dair and uair are very important to use. I'm sure everyone can expand on this stuff, but getting down these aerials and getting comfortable when to use each one will really help out your jigglypuff.

Last edited:

King's Blade

Smash Rookie
NNID
Insomniac26
3DS FC
0602-7351-4100
Since Jiggs is an aerials centered character, how do you balance between fighting on air and on the ground? I always seem overstay jumping and floating and all my attacks are just shielded or countered. Are there any simple combos can you recommend for a starter like me?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Since Jiggs is an aerials centered character, how do you balance between fighting on air and on the ground? I always seem overstay jumping and floating and all my attacks are just shielded or countered. Are there any simple combos can you recommend for a starter like me?
The main thing to do is short hop at grounded enemies and attack with well-spaced Fairs or Bairs.
When you attack, you can do two things: you can try to move in to get more hits at risk of shield punishment,
or weave out to avoid being punished. Her air mobility lets her escape before they can punish well.

Since people expect a Jiggly to come at them in the air, a dash attack can be very surprising.
Alternatively, if you hop at them without attacking and you anticipate they will shield, you can try to grab.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
The main thing to do is short hop at grounded enemies and attack with well-spaced Fairs or Bairs.
When you attack, you can do two things: you can try to move in to get more hits at risk of shield punishment,
or weave out to avoid being punished. Her air mobility lets her escape before they can punish well.

Since people expect a Jiggly to come at them in the air, a dash attack can be very surprising.
Alternatively, if you hop at them without attacking and you anticipate they will shield, you can try to grab.
Thanks a lot! I've been having lots of difficulties getting in with Jigglypuff too, and that is a lot of help! :kirby:

Dr. Giygas

Smash Rookie
How do you guys deal with projectile-centric characters?
Jigglypuff can duck under a great deal of them, and a good number of her attacks can cancel the weaker ones. For the rest I just short-hop over them and approach.

Aflay

Smash Rookie
Not very keen on Jigglypuff outside of 3DS version, but it seems that she's not extremely different from Brawl's installment. You'll want to master her dair drills and back airs. She has very quick, albeit, short aerials which make it risky to fight grounded combatants frequently. You'll want to drill, grab, or pound shielded opponents. Her pound is a reliable move to use against direct opponents and projectiles, especially those with large hitboxes. Her headbutt should be able to help you cover ground quickly and take opponents by surprise, but don't use it too often.

Last, but not least, master her smash attacks. Usually smash attacks come in two categories: Fast and light, and heavy and slow. Jiggly's are somewhere in the middle/heavy, and don't cover much ground. Her down smash is one of the most difficult, yet rewarding of smash attacks, especially if it pushes the enemy off an edge. Her front smash is most reliable, as it covers the most ground. You can set it up with a well placed nair or drill, or charge it in anticipation of an opponent's attack. Her up smash is probably as useless as the down smash as far as reliability, but just as useful for payoff. Your best bet is to combo into it. It's hard, but not impossible, to charge it as a counter to aerial attacks, though, you'll want to avoid doing this with characters like Link and Kirby with dangerous dairs.

Your best bet is to practice edgeguarding in training mode. Practice the power, direction, and reach of her moves. Kirby, Link, and Fox are good edgeguard training dummies. Practice connecting your moves on smaller characters. The best way to become an expert with Jigglypuff against other players is just to learn how to answer attacks, and learn how to lead enemies into her slower attacks. She can enter well, but that takes patience and consideration. Really learn what moves work against which strategies, don't be afraid to experiment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom