• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff 4 : Good or bad?

Jigglypuff Tier Prediction!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
If we're being technical Smash's Puff is always referred to as an 'it'

Kamikam70

Smash Cadet
Puff is a female. Why do people keep calling her a "he?" That's like me calling lucario a she
Jigglypuff, as well as Lucario, can be both male or female. So, you can use "he", "she", or "it" as you wish. It's just a common acceptance because Lucario looks manly and Jiggly' pinky-cute.

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
I don't like to make complicated start posts:

Basically, I checked this thread and some videos and it seems Jigglypuff is overall buffed, heck even asthetic wise.

I wonder though if the competitive, veteran Jigglypuff player, which tried it out, can tell me if Jigglypuff feels much better than Brawl or in other words, close to Melee style.
Finally, I know Tier discussion might be completly dumb, but I would like to know if you place it rather high, in the middle or low right now, in this fresh game.

Thanks for replies!
Why is the thread titled good or bad if we're discussing tiers. It's completely possible for the lowest tier character to be good, depending on how balanced the game is.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Puff is a female. Why do people keep calling her a "he?" That's like me calling lucario a she
Because Jigglypuff's gender in Smash is never explicitly stated and in the wild they have a 75% chance of being female. Statistically speaking, 25% of people could be calling Jigglypuff male and everyone be correct if its a different Jigglypuff that is sent out.
Likewise, 12.5% of Lucarios ARE female. Just.... the one(s) in Smash make the gender more obvious. So does Pikachu, due to the tail.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why is the thread titled good or bad if we're discussing tiers. It's completely possible for the lowest tier character to be good, depending on how balanced the game is.
Good or bad relative to the rest of the cast. If she is bottom but still good... she is bad. Because. :4jigglypuff:

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
Good or bad relative to the rest of the cast. If she is bottom but still good... she is bad. Because. :4jigglypuff:
But as I said, it's possible for the game to be so balanced that the difference between characters doesn't matter, and so that the lowest tier character can beat the highest.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about anyone else here, but I personally think that Jigglypuff looks to be good enough potentially to use competitively in this game based on the buffs to her moveset relative to the rest of the cast and the change of pace in the game.

I feel like ultimately her placement in mid/high tier will depend on what other characters feel strong like DHD, Bowser, Shiek, etc, and how she deals with them, but I really don't think Low tier is much of a possibility from what I have seen.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I'm pleased to see people saying she is better than she was in Brawl... I don't play competitively, however, I highly enjoy playing online against people. What I've noticed with Jigglypuff in Brawl is that if you know how to work her moves well, you can really catch people off guard. They see her and immediately think "NOOB" so they either ignore her or simply don't try as hard. I think she's a hidden gem with aerial abilities that are completely unmatched. I can't WAIT to give her a try in Sm4sh.
(I just wish she would have gotten ONE fairy move.)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If we're being technical Smash's Puff is always referred to as an 'it'
All Pokémon are refered to as 'its' in Smash, even Pikachu who's a confirmed male. It's comparable to how we mostly call animals 'its' too.

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
This bodes well for Puff if Zero Suit really is the best in the game, as some have been saying.
Is that really important though, the player could be bad, and even if they're good its not like high player high tier characters couldn't be killed by high player low tier characters , especially jigs, who is a insta killer if used correctly....

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Is that really important though, the player could be bad, and even if they're good its not like high player high tier characters couldn't be killed by high player low tier characters , especially jigs, who is a insta killer if used correctly....
Obviously we don't know yet if it's escapable or how easy it is to set up, but guaranteed early % kills on high tiers can only be a positive for Puff's viability, as easy Rest setups on spacies in Melee made those matchups significantly better for Puff, and without them Puff probably wouldn't have been viable in that game.

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
Obviously we don't know yet if it's escapable or how easy it is to set up, but guaranteed early % kills on high tiers can only be a positive for Puff's viability, as easy Rest setups on spacies in Melee made those matchups significantly better for Puff, and without them Puff probably wouldn't have been viable in that game.
I understand that... But, okay lets say Bowser is top tier (For arguments sake), Because he has a large hitbox, What if he could easily be killed at low percentages by good Jig players? Despite being top tier, I mean I guess I understand it's good because it helps position Jigs on the roster (The more favorable matchups, the higher tier)

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I'm expecting mid- high mid tier. I wouldn't be surprised if her metagame develops and she ends up as a high or top tier though.

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
I just want her to be the Metaknight of this game. That's not asking much.

Dr. Giygas

Smash Rookie
(Loooong time Lurker, first time posting)
I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the Wii U Sm4sh version of Jiggs. It seems really hard to tell just how viable she'll be until the c-stick can be used to execute her aerials. I'm excited about the vague possibility of WoP again, as well as that amazing b-air. I'm feeling like Jigglypuff will once again be my main (In Wii-U version at least) and I hope to find my way into the local smash scene with 4.

I'm predicting better standing in Wii U over 3DS- at least until the NEW 3DS hits the scene and people can c-stick

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
First off, Sethlon and Awestin are professionals, and it has their names listed in the GIF.
Also the presence of an instakill option against a presumably top-tier character bodes VERY well for Jigglypuff. :x
And the * if used correctly part shouldn't matter when talking about such things because the strength of a character is judged by its power at the top level including its matchups.

Now take into consideration now that Jigglypuff in that GIF just 100 to 0d a presumable top-tier on one of 3 viable stages in a game where the current meta has 2 stocks (and occasionally 3) and tell me that does not bode well for that character.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I prefer referring to Jigglypuff as a female.
I do so too, I was just explaining why they're refered to as 'its'. While I know that there's technically a 25% chance Jigglypuff can be male it just feels wrong, same reason I consider Smash Ivysaur a male, no way a female can have all that testosterone in its voice :p

Rayopuff

Smash Apprentice
Japanese Ivysaur actually sounded like a girl though, definitely wouldn't think of a man with her Japanese voice

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
(Loooong time Lurker, first time posting)
I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the Wii U Sm4sh version of Jiggs. It seems really hard to tell just how viable she'll be until the c-stick can be used to execute her aerials. I'm excited about the vague possibility of WoP again, as well as that amazing b-air. I'm feeling like Jigglypuff will once again be my main (In Wii-U version at least) and I hope to find my way into the local smash scene with 4.

I'm predicting better standing in Wii U over 3DS- at least until the NEW 3DS hits the scene and people can c-stick
I think that the Wii U version and everybody's ability to use a better and more accurate analogue stick and a c-stick will bring out a bit more potential in every character on the roster. I really don't think Jigglypuff of all characters needs a c-stick in order to perform well since her aerial mobility is already incredible, so she's not as committed to a direction in the air as other characters. A lot of people don't know this, but Hungrybox actually does all of his aerial attacks in Melee using the Z button, and hardly uses the c-stick for them at all, just as an example.

Also, glad you decided to start posting :) And I definitely share your excitement for possibly being able to WoP again. I have a lot of ideas on them too, like carrying opponents off-stage with fairs and when you approach the blast zone you jump back towards the stage (to turn around) and finish them with the strong bair. You can also use nair to cover airdodges if that becomes a concern, etc. Jigglypuff looks so fun

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think that the Wii U version and everybody's ability to use a better and more accurate analogue stick and a c-stick will bring out a bit more potential in every character on the roster. I really don't think Jigglypuff of all characters needs a c-stick in order to perform well since her aerial mobility is already incredible, so she's not as committed to a direction in the air as other characters. A lot of people don't know this, but Hungrybox actually does all of his aerial attacks in Melee using the Z button, and hardly uses the c-stick for them at all, just as an example.

Also, glad you decided to start posting :) And I definitely share your excitement for possibly being able to WoP again. I have a lot of ideas on them too, like carrying opponents off-stage with fairs and when you approach the blast zone you jump back towards the stage (to turn around) and finish them with the strong bair. You can also use nair to cover airdodges if that becomes a concern, etc. Jigglypuff looks so fun
Indeed it does. The thought of playing as Jigglypuff on the Wii U version is a blast.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
So far, to me Jiggs feels slower in the air. That, and pound feels like it got a range nerf...? I've been having a hard time grasping Jiggs at all, but I found a decent custom stat set that gives her good mobility and defense and that makes her feel way better

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
I don't like to make complicated start posts:

Basically, I checked this thread and some videos and it seems Jigglypuff is overall buffed, heck even asthetic wise.

I wonder though if the competitive, veteran Jigglypuff player, which tried it out, can tell me if Jigglypuff feels much better than Brawl or in other words, close to Melee style.
Finally, I know Tier discussion might be completly dumb, but I would like to know if you place it rather high, in the middle or low right now, in this fresh game.

Thanks for replies!
I personally love Jiggs in this game. If you´re a long time jiggs main, then she is not a problem too play as. She is EXTREMLEY better in smash 4, than in brawl.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
I struggled through Brawl playing Jiggs competitively and never getting very far; in the past year I have picked up Project M and loved playing as her restored to proper glory.

Needless to say, the general mechanical improvements of the game relative to Brawl combined with Puff gaining her power back have me hyped as hell. I am just about sold on the Wii U version.

Praise Puff.
Indeed the puff will rise.:4jigglypuff::4jigglypuff::4jigglypuff:

Dr. Giygas

Smash Rookie
I think I can safely say I want to try maining Jigglypuff again in Smash 3DS. Now that I've had some time to play around and try some stuff I'm really happy with what I've been able to do. It feels really natural and fluid for me. I tried a few online battles however it was virtually unplayable due to having 1-2 full seconds of lag. Oh well.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
I think I can safely say I want to try maining Jigglypuff again in Smash 3DS. Now that I've had some time to play around and try some stuff I'm really happy with what I've been able to do. It feels really natural and fluid for me. I tried a few online battles however it was virtually unplayable due to having 1-2 full seconds of lag. Oh well.
Lag happens. So chin up, and keep on puffing! :)

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
On the topic of Puff's sex, I use "she" because Puff has a 75% female encounter rate in the Pokemon games, so if you use female pronouns you're statistically more likely to be correct. If you use "it" you're just always not technically wrong, which everyone knows is not quite as good.

Or you could do what I do and designate roughly 25% of the costumes in each game as a male jigglypuff and assume the rest are female.

Last edited:

micstar615

Smash Ace
The Jiggernaut can be whatever gender you want it to be, it's God like complexion strikes fear in the hearts of it's prey regardless of what gender you prefer to call it.

Honestly though, Jiggs feels so great to play as in this game.

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
I bought the game and a 3DS last Saturday and I'm surprised there hasn't been much talk about Puff's nair. It seems like an incredible gimping and zoning tool. It has fairly good knock back and active frames for days. It's perfect for ledge guarding the Pits and Roselina. Just go off stage, nair, and they'll up b straight into it.

So far my game plan is zone/gimp with fair and nair, kill with rest and bair. And it's been working pretty well so far.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I have had a hell of a lot of fun with Jigglypuff in this game, and I've never fancied myself a Jigglypuff main.
Its custom moves are pretty fun too.

I love the explosive Rest. (Wakie-Wakie)

Top Bottom