• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Tier List by SHI-G June '15 (Version 1.0.7)

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
How different is the Japanese metagame? I haven't seen anything from it... Kind of curious now. How exactly do they play?
I'm no expert. I think it would be best to get the opinion of someone who has played in both regions. But from what I've heard they play a more "conservative" style. I don't mean defensive I mean not as flashy- with less showmanship. Japanese players are less inclined to do mind games and stick with solid fundamentals.

To the OP: I don't think this list is awful. I think there are a lot of viable characters in Sm4sh so it isn't strange to see differences in the top to mid tiers. The lack of reps reasoning isn't very satisfying though.

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
I know I'm a bit late on the draw here, but what propels Toon Link so high? His back throw?

UFVKNP

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4914-5094-3096
I'd ask a question about why WFT is so low, but I'll wait until a North American tier list comes out to complain about that.

TheMarsh

Smash Rookie
NNID
tedsterkid
I love how Olimar is so high, most American tier lists rank him very low but he definitely has amazing potential in the right hands

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Q. Why is Mario so high?
A. Mario is considered the slept-on god of the game. He has no rep whatsoever but has, again in the words of Abadango, "Safe recovery with an up-b that has invincibility, hard-to-breach aerial hitboxes, good aerial mobility, good smashes and throw options, and large combo damage output." I don't think that Ally has anything to do with this, and that people actually think that Mario has untapped god-like potential.

Q. Why is Rosalina so low?
A. Though this was probably somewhat controversial in Japan as well, it basically comes down to Japan not having Dabuz. Luma can be killed fairly easily, and Rosalina's recovery is very vulnerable, some points which were probably points brought up during the discussion. Rosalina's somewhat disappointing results probably prevented her from entering A tier. Her best recent result was Top 12 by Kirihara, and Top 12 a little while back by Ice.
Mario has no rep.
Has potential.
-----------------------------------
Placed 3rd based almost purely on theoretical merits.

--

Rosalina has at least some rep.
Potential not appreciated.
-----------------------------------
Presumably, her rank is based heavily on her results.

Wow.

So, "god-like potential" really isn't an exaggeration. Their view on Mario's potential is overriding his poor results. Yet Rosalina's better results are overshadowed by their view of her theoretical weaknesses (& lack of potential?). If so, I don't necessarily disagree that Mario has more to gain than Rosalina from players learning the game, as uncommon as this point of view is.

Also, are they ignoring NA's results entirely (Is this a Japan-only tier list?) or do they view Dabuz' success as an edge-case?

Last edited:

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
I wonder what gets them to put Samus a tier over what Americans think and what they think of Kirby. I feel good about Ness' placement, as I feel as the game goes on he might be dropping in the lists as people begin to note how easily gimpable Ness is by a few members of the cast. (Mind you, that's not to say he's bad. Far from, at worst B-. Best A- imo)

Last edited:

TheMarsh

Smash Rookie
NNID
tedsterkid
I wonder what gets them to put Samus a tier over what Americans think and what they think of Kirby. I feel good about Ness' placement, as I feel as the game goes on he might be dropping in the lists as people begin to note how easily gimpable Ness is by a few members of the cast. (Mind you, that's not to say he's bad. Far from, at worst B-. Best A- imo)
Tbh I feel like Samus is utterly broken, not to bash on the character or anything but she is technically broken, and Americans don't really take the time to actually figure out how she works as opposed to Japanese players
If youre wondering what I mean by "Samus is utterly broken" watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7CewcWnKs8

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
Tbh I feel like Samus is utterly broken, not to bash on the character or anything but she is technically broken, and Americans don't really take the time to actually figure out how she works as opposed to Japanese players
If youre wondering what I mean by "Samus is utterly broken" watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7CewcWnKs8
I'm just really curious as to what all they're doing with her personally.

Top Bottom