• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese GnW doing work

GingyCTMF

Smash Rookie
[Twitch]/shi_gaming/b/646095157?t=3m30s

Beats Shogun's Diddy in tourney o.o

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
This should be going in the videos section and doesn't warrant its own topic.

I'm pretty sure that this Diddy isn't used to fighting G&W at all - any good Diddy will be abusing fair in this matchup, but this G&W player is certainly a lot better than what I've normally seen on video. I watched everything after to really analyze him. His reaction to getting ledge camped by a banana was absolutely brilliant.

One thing I think this player lacks is a competent and consistent throw game. It's not merely that he messed up a lot of throws in the beginning, it's that he isn't going for anything consistent and reliable. At one point he even failed to go for true combo uair kill out of it when his opponent didn't DI - this should be an absolutely reflexive maneuver, not a conscious decision.

I watched the Falcon fight after as well, and that basically confirms my beliefs. He starts off the match literally spamming utilt out of dthrow instead of nair vortexing after the first utilt. At least he uaired properly out of dthrow the first game in this series and the one after.

His worst problem, though, is his total lack of edge game save for that aforementioned moment with the banana, regardless of whether he has the advantage or not. He gets back onto stages very dangerously with predictably timed high endlag moves and must have tried to go offstage with fair or Up B once.

He's a very prediction-based player, and this pays off for him at times - you certainly need to have good prediction to play this character - but he does not know how to react in disadvantaging scenarios. It's unfortunate, because I see some moments of brilliancy in his play where he reacts perfectly against suspected rolls or spaces people back with unexpectedly charged smashes. Best of luck to him.

EDIT: Actually, a bit of a clarification on the utilt thing. It seems that at EXTREMELY specific percents (11-14%), you can true combo Falcon into utilt>utilt>nair for 45% damage if timed perfectly. Glad I learned something from him, but it's very unreliable and single utilt to nair vortex is way more practical, especially considering this can be DI'd out of.

EDIT 2: utilt>utilt>uair>Up B takes it up to 50%. Again, assuming they don't DI it, which is probably near impossible, but it *is* a true combo for you TASers.

I won't even bother listing my edits anymore.

utilt>utilt> SH nair (fastfalled on final hit)>Up B for 51%. Nearly impossible, but it exists.

Last edited:

lllp3lll

Smash Apprentice
Currently watching it now.

It's probability his muscle memory, since you can't d-throw up-tilt diddy at sub lower %'s

INTERESTING I think he's trying to evolve G&W grab game -Was he saving his nair to keep it fresh. After 4:54 his grab game changes from putting on damage with Fair to scouting the for the nair after dthrow. Almost kills at 5:00. Once he has the stock lead he goes back to using nair after dthrown to increase the % lead.

I actually love this player's style and innovation

Neb

Smash Lord
There are other videos of him online - "songun G&W" -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgh4FG83GJQ

Reads and muscle memory are certainly something to aspire to. He seems to have a good general knowledge of dthrow follow-ups. There was a match against Ganon where he remixed your airdodge vortex out of dthrow, P3. Airdodge into nair was also an effective mix-up beside foxtrotting.

Its so easy for G&W to get that grab that he can actually play a decent close quarters game between shield, usmash, nair, uair, and jab. Most things out of shield are going to get grabbed, dash attacked, or usmashed (ie. multi-hitboxes).

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
There are other videos of him online - "songun G&W" -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgh4FG83GJQ

Reads and muscle memory are certainly something to aspire to. He seems to have a good general knowledge of dthrow follow-ups. There was a match against Ganon where he remixed your airdodge vortex out of dthrow, P3. Airdodge into nair was also an effective mix-up beside foxtrotting.

Its so easy for G&W to get that grab that he can actually play a decent close quarters game between shield, usmash, nair, uair, and jab. Most things out of shield are going to get grabbed, dash attacked, or usmashed (ie. multi-hitboxes).
I'm just honestly baffled how he won. Rosalina is so difficult for G&W.

Neb

Smash Lord
@ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG
Likewise. It doesn't matter how hard G&W loses in the neutral. If he's able to get inside and make his grab game relevant, he will stand a chance. And then of course, anything above him and off the map is already fair game. Such a big character is going to get bodied in those situations. On paper Rosa clearly wins, but G&W has some jank that can't be accounted for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom