• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japan Reacts to Duck Hunt

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
True, but you can say the same for Rhythm Heaven. It did see an international release, it was just way more popular in Japan.
And while Xenoblade didn't do as well in the states, we still had to fight for his arrival.
I'm primarily pointing at Little Mac, who was hardly known in the East was able to make it in over more Japanese known characters (I'm not complaining, just pointing it out).
I just find it quite interesting that Sakurai's choices seem a tad more open to fanbases of his American fans instead of his instead of his own country.
Why do people keep saying these things?
People in Japan know Little Mac, Punch Out for the Wii was released in Japan. It just did not have the same background because they did not know it for the old Super Punch Out.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's pretty telling that the only people who used terms like big 3/hype 3 were kids who wanted those characters in the game way too much. I guess "Neutral 3" or "Slightly Unlikely but Possible 3" didn't have the same ring to it.
I think a better term for those guys would be "the possible but not so original", "the obvious boss", and "the irrelevant".
I still don't know how they think something as small as Kritters showing up in Smash Run is such crucial evidence to K. Rool being playable. I could have said the same thing about the sneaky specters being in Smash Run means that Marshal should have been playable, but that's not the case.
I think the more appropriate term would be
"The three most requested Nintendo characters and perhaps most recognizable characters of the three leading franchises most assumed to get a new character due to importance and Sales to Nintendo."
I'd say hindsight can make people ugly, but I think we are far from 'Hindsight' as I anticipated this being the exact situation we would be in at this time.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
People in Japan know Little Mac, Punch Out for the Wii was released in Japan. It just did not have the same background because they did not know it for the old Super Punch Out.
I believe the arcade version of punchout was also released in Japan, and maybe some others. It was just more surprising for them since he wasn't anywhere near as popular there as he was here.

Last edited:

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
I think the more appropriate term would be
"The three most requested Nintendo characters and perhaps most recognizable characters of the three leading franchises most assumed to get a new character due to importance and Sales to Nintendo."
I'd say hindsight can make people ugly, but I think we are far from 'Hindsight' as I anticipated this being the exact situation we would be in at this time.
You can probably stop sniping at everyone who thinks your favorite characters won't be in Smash now that it's been weeks since we've learned they're not in Smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You can probably stop sniping at everyone who thinks your favorite characters won't be in Smash now that it's been weeks since we've learned they're not in Smash.
Quite the Snappy comment buddy. I disagree with your comment and have factual commentary to base my opinion up, it does not mean I'm "sniping" at any body.
If you choose to ignore the impact of those characters, that's entirely on you.
I will continually be here to point it out.

They are far from my favorite characters. I honestly could not even care if ridley isn't in Smash, I have never played Metroid. I'm also satisfied with the roster. Yet months before the game was out, I anticipated the roster not being fully revealed with the Japanese launch, or that the most requested characters would not be on it even a year ago.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
While it was sold in Japan, it didn't sell nearly well as in America. Not even close. Heck, when Little Mac was introduced, about 75% of the Japanese who commented didn't even know who he was, and the rest were just commenting how the people in the west were likely excited about this.
The American audience reaction to Shulk is probably a good example, except that other 25% was actually happy about his introduction.
Also, Super Punch Out is fairly irrelevant in this case. That was the only one I didn't play and I was still incredibly excited for him.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
While it was sold in Japan, it didn't sell nearly well as in America. Not even close. Heck, when Little Mac was introduced, about 75% of the Japanese who commented didn't even know who he was, and the rest were just commenting how the people in the west were likely excited about this.
The American audience reaction to Shulk is probably a good example, except that other 25% was actually happy about his introduction.
Also, Super Punch Out is fairly irrelevant in this case. That was the only one I didn't play and I was still incredibly excited for him.
I would reckon that the loud but small American fanbase of Xenoblade does not make up 25 percent of the players here, particularly once the game is out here, where in majority of casual players will have no clue who he is. I'm thinking of all the frat parties this will be at.

Little Mac has to have at least some fan base in Japan, even if unpopular, and a large number of years of history for it to at least be heard of, something which Shulk dos NOT have on his side.

Techno Hunter

Smash Cadet
All of them except for Diddy originated in Japan, but not a single character in this roster is found only in Japan. And I'm glad, I love how every character has international appeal. No Lip, no Takamaru, no Lucas even... Sakurai stated around time of Brawl that he wanted less Japanese-only characters in Smash, and it looks like we finally have none.
Fun fact: This is the first smash bros (technically) with no region exclusive characters
64: Earthbound didn't exist in Europe at the time
Melee: Fire Emblem
Brawl: Lucas and Marth( At the time)
3DS: Earthbound is on the European Wii U Eshop, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon has launched on all regions( it has Marth) and Lucas isn't a fighter anymore

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
In fairness, Ridley was one of the most popular characters ever. His thread had over 2 million views and he was popular enough for a magazine to specifically ask for him.
Pretty sure more than half of those views are just people coming to witness an entire fanbase having a collective meltdown for their amusement... :troll:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Pretty sure more than half of those views are just people coming to witness an entire fanbase having a collective meltdown for their amusement... :troll:
It also had more replies that any other thread. About 700,000.

Another anecdotal point: when I was at the Best Buy event, on the suggestion page, people asked for Ridley. Someone put it on the character page thing too.No matter how you slice it, people REALLY want Rildey

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
So exactly the same as the American reactions, basically.
Yup, and my friends here in Sweden have mixed opinions. Some of my friends say that :4duckhunt: "Är så jävla dålig, Sakurai är helt dum i huvudet". That translates to :4duckhunt: " Is so fu***** bad, sakurai is stupid".

But some of my friends say " Jag är så glad, så att jag skulle kunna kyssa Sakurai." That translates into "I´m so happy, I could kiss Sakurai.

Basically they have mixed opinions.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Yes, and Ridley is also a major player in the series. He starts the events of Super Metroid. He is the one who killed Samus's parents. He's probably the bad guy of Metroid. And he's been in every game.
Yeah, because Mother Brain told Ridley to start the events of Super Metroid. Ridley is just a boss who happens to have a backstory where he killed Samus's parents long before he worked for Mother Brain. That's it.

Personally, I don't consider Ridley the main villain of the series... he's a recurring antagonist but not the main villain (it's Mother Brain aka MB).

Oh, and Ridley wasn't in at least two games that I know of, Metroid II and Metroid Prime 2, so it's not really "every" game.

Back to topic about Japanese reactions to DHD, please.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
99% of the roster is Japanese characters. Four of them still speak Japanese regardless of language.
Considering sales, Shulk appeals way more to Japanese players than he does in the west.
But Americans are really feeling it, we like Shulk

Top Bottom