• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japan Reacts to Duck Hunt

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm very curious about how the Japanese gamers reacted to Duck Hunt Dog? For all I know, DHD is not iconic in Japan and Duck Hunt is just one of three light gun games (the other two are Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley) that launched with the Famicom... but over here in USA, DHD is iconic and is strongly associated with the NES Zapper because Duck Hunt was bundled with the NES and Super Mario Bros.

I think Sakurai's approach was really creative and satisfies both fanbases across the Pacific... USA gets the Duck Hunt Dog... Japan gets a character who represents the NES Zapper games.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
I must say, Sakurai sure did add a lot of characters more familiar with Americans. I mean, I thought that we would get at least one Rhythm Heaven character, knowing how huge in Japan it was, but apparently not.

Last edited:

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
I must say, Sakurai sure did add a lot of characters more familiar with Americans. I mean, I thought that we would get at least one Rhythm Heaven character, knowing how huge in Japan it was, but apparently not.
99% of the roster is Japanese characters. Four of them still speak Japanese regardless of language.
Considering sales, Shulk appeals way more to Japanese players than he does in the west.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
All of them except for Diddy originated in Japan, but not a single character in this roster is found only in Japan. And I'm glad, I love how every character has international appeal. No Lip, no Takamaru, no Lucas even... Sakurai stated around time of Brawl that he wanted less Japanese-only characters in Smash, and it looks like we finally have none.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
All of them except for Diddy originated in Japan, but not a single character in this roster is found only in Japan. And I'm glad, I love how every character has international appeal. No Lip, no Takamaru, no Lucas even... Sakurai stated around time of Brawl that he wanted less Japanese-only characters in Smash, and it looks like we finally have none.
But most of them like Prince sable, are AT. Nice moves, for now. I think Sakurai wanted Smash bros more American because most of the people of america praise the game more than Japan because console don't sell console well like in America.
After all, That one reason why a handheld smash can become more reconizable in japan because, you know, the 3DS HUGE sucess. I think Sakurai want these character more reconizable to Japan and latter could be targeting Japan characters to USA when is necesary because Japanese game are really not popular in USA... Except its Fanbase.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I figure its more about international appeal, not one region or the other. The Duck Hunt character is even made up of Hogan's Alley and Wild Gunman, in what seems to be an attempt to make the character more Japan friendly, since those games seemed to be on equal ground with Duck Hunt over in Japan.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
99% of the roster is Japanese characters. Four of them still speak Japanese regardless of language.
Considering sales, Shulk appeals way more to Japanese players than he does in the west.
True, but you can say the same for Rhythm Heaven. It did see an international release, it was just way more popular in Japan.
And while Xenoblade didn't do as well in the states, we still had to fight for his arrival.
I'm primarily pointing at Little Mac, who was hardly known in the East was able to make it in over more Japanese known characters (I'm not complaining, just pointing it out).
I just find it quite interesting that Sakurai's choices seem a tad more open to fanbases of his American fans instead of his instead of his own country.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just find it quite interesting that Sakurai's choices seem a tad more open to fanbases of his American fans instead of his instead of his own country.
Tell that to the "hype three" fanbases. They think Sakurai hates them and spitefully trolls them.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
Tell that to the "hype three" fanbases. They think Sakurai hates them and spitefully trolls them.
I know, right? I just got done reading the "We were mislead about the Big 3" topic, and it made my stomach turn. Those guys just can't let it go, can they?
"I think someone should replace Sakurai."
*ahem* WAT?:mad088:
Poor Sakurai. Despite everything he tries to do to make us happy, there's just some stuff he has to sacrifice that suddenly makes the game terrible.
Don't worry though: they'll still get the game anyway. Just let them throw their tantrum.

Last edited:

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
I'm primarily pointing at Little Mac, who was hardly known in the East was able to make it in over more Japanese known characters (I'm not complaining, just pointing it out).
He recognized the appeal of the franchise globally and so he thought it would be a nice gesture to include a more western character who just so happens to be highly requested anyway. Win-win.

But the great thing about most of Nintendos characters is they they transcend things like nationality and race.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty telling that the only people who used terms like big 3/hype 3 were kids who wanted those characters in the game way too much. I guess "Neutral 3" or "Slightly Unlikely but Possible 3" didn't have the same ring to it.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty telling that the only people who used terms like big 3/hype 3 were kids who wanted those characters in the game way too much. I guess "Neutral 3" or "Slightly Unlikely but Possible 3" didn't have the same ring to it.
I think a better term for those guys would be "the possible but not so original", "the obvious boss", and "the irrelevant".
I still don't know how they think something as small as Kritters showing up in Smash Run is such crucial evidence to K. Rool being playable. I could have said the same thing about the sneaky specters being in Smash Run means that Marshal should have been playable, but that's not the case.
While the use of words was odd, it was pretty implied with the way he was meshed in with the Yellow Devil that he meant that Ridley was supposed to be a boss. The "OMG, he said 'other boss character appearances.' so Ridley must be playable," thing was truly just denial.
Mewtwo's really the only one I can somewhat understand, but not with the Greninja trailer. It is a little peculiar as to why Sakurai said what he did at the X and Y conference, but I digress: that could've meant anything. But saying he was trolling with the Greninja trailer is quite bogus. I don't remember the last time Mewtwo hangs upside down, makes ninja poses, and forms what's obviously a water shuriken. Heck, you can even hear bubbly sounds when he was making the shuriken.

Last edited:

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people (myself included) did say that about the Sneaky Spirit, but that's because every other Smash Run enemy corresponded with a playable character's franchise. The Kritters proved that...Donkey Kong was playable.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
A lot of people (myself included) did say that about the Sneaky Spirit, but that's because every other Smash Run enemy corresponded with a playable character's franchise. The Kritters proved that...Donkey Kong was playable.
Pooka is a Smash Run enemy. Dig Dug confirmed.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, I meant to say that that Marshal had an even better chance with the Sneaky Spirit (I was one of those who thought so as well) and he still wasn't here. But, like you said, the Kritters were clearly meant to be there because of DK.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
That was more representing Pac Man and Namco if anything.
I think he's noting how they were clearly there because of Pac-Man, but one could over analyze and make a theory that Dig Dug is playable.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run is just odd. I expected a RH stage to go with it at the least. I mean we got an Electroplankton stage in Brawl and even at the time that was less popular. I'm inclined to think either more was planned or more is planned as DLC.

Ceci Kiyomizu

Smash Rookie
NNID
CeciKiyomizu
Alot of my Japanese friends didn't know who he was. They where very confused on why he was a character lol.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Duck Hunt is a weird one in regards to his acknowledgement in the states seeming similar to ROB in a lot of ways. The Duck Hunt game was included as a combo pack with Super Mario Bros. It seems in intent to appeal to more people in the west but including the shooting game and Zapper gun to appeal to those that might not be necessarily fond of the platforming game play of Super Mario Bros which was a bit harder and more complex, at least at the time.

As a result of that decision so many people in my age bracket were exposed to Duck Hunt as one of earlier games we played so it stuck around for many of us from the NES era much more strongly then it would have otherwise. Because when you look at Duck Hunt in an objective way, Duck Hunt is a very bare bones kind of game similar to what had appeared on things like the Atari 2600 or earlier consoles and is not a particular unique game in what you can call a shooting gallery genre.

If it weren't for a marketing ploy on NoA part it would have probably faded into obscurity and never been heard from again much like it seem to have in Japan.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Duck Hunt is a weird one in regards to his acknowledgement in the states seeming similar to ROB in a lot of ways. The Duck Hunt game was included as a combo pack with Super Mario Bros. It seems in intent to appeal to more people in the west but including the shooting game and Zapper gun to appeal to those that might not be necessarily fond of the platforming game play of Super Mario Bros which was a bit harder and more complex, at least at the time.

As a result of that decision so many people in my age bracket were exposed to Duck Hunt as one of earlier games we played so it stuck around for many of us from the NES era much more strongly then it would have otherwise. Because when you look at Duck Hunt in an objective way, Duck Hunt is a very bare bones kind of game similar to what had appeared on things like the Atari 2600 or earlier consoles and is not a particular unique game in what you can call a shooting gallery genre.

If it weren't for a marketing ploy on NoA part it would have probably faded into obscurity and never been heard from again much like it seem to have in Japan.
This is all true, but there is one thing about Duck Hunt that does make it stand apart from the rest of the barebone minigames of that era. And it actually is the dog. He added a bit of spice to an otherwise boring and simplistic game. He gave personality to the experience, without him, it wouldn't have been memorable. He pulls you in to the game, and congratulates your victories and has the nerve to laugh at your failures (especially ballsy considering you're holding a rifle).

Say, Hogan's Alley or Wild Gunman. They didn't have that, a character that drew you in like the dog did for Duck Hunt. And so they weren't as memorable... regardless of Duck Hunt getting more exposure by being bundled with the NES. So when you consider that, even for Japan, the dog makes the most sense as the representative of those series of games.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
This is all true, but there is one thing about Duck Hunt that does make it stand apart from the rest of the barebone minigames of that era. And it actually is the dog. He added a bit of spice to an otherwise boring and simplistic game. He gave personality to the experience, without him, it wouldn't have been memorable. He pulls you in to the game, and congratulates your victories and has the nerve to laugh at your failures (especially ballsy considering you're holding a rifle).

Say, Hogan's Alley or Wild Gunman. They didn't have that, a character that drew you in like the dog did for Duck Hunt. And so they weren't as memorable... regardless of Duck Hunt getting more exposure by being bundled with the NES. So when you consider that, even for Japan, the dog makes the most sense as the representative of those series of games.
I definitely agree with that, if you were going to pick a character to represent the Light gun series of game, Duck Hunt was really the only clear option as the other games didn't really have anything particularly remarkable character wise to offer outside of 'generic insert bad guy stereotype'.

I mostly just stand by that the reason the dog stuck with us for so long with his personality is because we were allowed to be more heavily exposed to him to gain that attachment to his character where without that exposure how many of us would have ever even played Duck Hunt for that matter, it's an interesting question anyway.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
So, you are glad because some characters didn't make the cut?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm glad that the west is getting more recognition with characters like Little Mac, and Duck Hunt. Not necessarily at the expense of Japanese characters, but still glad.

In Melee and in Brawl there were no characters we could call "western" or "mostly western". But we did get our share of Japanese characters (Marth, Roy, Lucas). I'm glad that it's different now. But again, not necessarily at the expense of Japanese character. I would have loved seeing Takamaru playable.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
If Mike Jones was playable it'd be a totally different story.

Also, Diddy Kong is the only character that originated from a western developer. And even though Little Mac and Duck Hunt are more popular in the west, they were still released in Japan and were moderately popular there too.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I know, right? I just got done reading the "We were mislead about the Big 3" topic, and it made my stomach turn. Those guys just can't let it go, can they?
"I think someone should replace Sakurai."
*ahem* WAT?:mad088:
Poor Sakurai. Despite everything he tries to do to make us happy, there's just some stuff he has to sacrifice that suddenly makes the game terrible.
Don't worry though: they'll still get the game anyway. Just let them throw their tantrum.
In fairness, Ridley was one of the most popular characters ever. His thread had over 2 million views and he was popular enough for a magazine to specifically ask for him.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Warning Received
In fairness, Ridley was one of the most popular characters ever. His thread had over 2 million views and he was popular enough for a magazine to specifically ask for him.
Ridley is more of an idea than a character.

I know i only visited that thread to see why the hell everyone was getting so hyped about it. I certainly don't support it.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Ridley is more of an idea than a character.

I know i only visited that thread to see why the hell everyone was getting so hyped about it. I certainly don't support it.
Uhhh, not sure how he can be more of an idea than a character when he IS a character.

Top Bottom