• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jan 31, 2015] Frame Perfect Saturday 2 @ Play It Again: Melee, Project M, &... (Concord, NC)

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
For all of you in NC that can't make it to Apex we will be hosting our second FPS tournament! We will have the stream up for everyone to watch. Singles for Melee, PM, & 64 will be active and a Doubles event for the game with the most interest. If you can't make it up to Jersey that weekend you have a great place to come, enjoy the community, and play! Also just throwing it out there a lot of the A-list players will be out of state so more of us B-listers will have some more of a spotlight ;)

Schedule:
11:00-Doors Open
11:30-Doubles & Smash64 Registration Starts
1:00-Doubles & Smash64 Bracket Begins
2:00-Melee/PM Singles Registration Starts
3:00-Melee Singles Bracket Begins
3:30-PM Singles Bracket Begins​

Before anything let me say this: if you plan to come please bring a setup if you are able, we will need them!
Project M: Wii w/ Project M 3.5 installed & a CRT
Melee: Gamecube or Wii w/ Melee & a CRT
Smash 64: Nintendo 64 w/ Smash 64 & a CRT

Located about 15 minutes away from UNCC and practically in the same parking lot of the Concord Mills Mall this is the ideal location for all your new, retro, card, and board gaming needs. Concord Mills Blvd is directly off I-85 as well so it should be easy enough for you travelers to find. There is plenty of food in the area including Steak & Shake, Chic-Fil-A, and of course the food court in the mall. While no outside food or drink is allowed in the venue they do offer drinks and simple snacks at a very reasonable cost. Also be sure to keep your language and behavior family friendly I look forward to hosting more events here so let's show them the good side of the Smash community. It's important to note this is a high traffic area so be sure to keep that in mind when your heading to and from the event. Be sure to like and follow their Facebook page by clicking the image below.

YouTube/Twitch Channel:
Our new YouTube and Twitch channel is up! For the first event here we will not be able to stream but you can usually catch us on Friday nights streaming anything from Smash to Street Fighter to anything we feel like. Of course we will be recording matches and uploading them to the YouTube channel (we really need to work on uploading them faster I know) sometime soon after the event.

Melee Ruleset:
Melee functions off the Apex ruleset. I have no problem with this and never will consider any changes. Here's a link to the rules if you are unfamiliar: MELEE RULESET

Melee Stage List
There is no changes and I don't foresee there ever being any.

Starters/Neutrals:
These stages are available all rounds but are the only ones available for round 1
-Yoshi’s Story
-Fountain of Dreams
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Dream Land

Counterpick:
These stages are available only after round 1 is complete
-Pokemon Stadium

Banned Stages
This should be self explanatory.
-Don't feel like typing them all so let's just say everything else
However, again, if you and your opponent agree to it you can play on any stage you like. Just don't be salty if you loose on Poke Floats and you agreed to it.

Project M Ruleset:

For everything except the stage selection we use the Apex 2014 ruleset, including character selection and stage striking. However, we will be using a new stage list I've been working on with other TO's in the region. Since the Apex site no longer has the rules up here's a link if you are unfamiliar: PROJECT M RULESET

Project M Stage List:
Like I said already this is a stage list I've been working on other TO's in NC. We're trying to setup a standardized list for all events in the area so we keep down the confusion. Only deviations from this list we've considered so far is Yoshi's Story swapping with Green Hill Zone as a Starter, and Distant Planet being swapped out for Skyworld as a Counter-Pick. There is 12 stages total and 3 counter-pick stage strikes.

Green-Starter/Neutral Stages
These stages are available all rounds but are the only ones available for round 1
-Green Hill Zone
-Pokémon Stadium 2
-Smashville
-Battlefield
-Dreamland 64

Yellow-Counter Pick Stages
-Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
-Warioware Inc.
-Final Destination
-Distant Planet
-Yoshi's Story
-Fountain Of Dreams
-Norfair

Red-Banned Stages
-Everything on Page 2
However, if you and your opponent agree to it you can play on any stage you like. Just don't be salty if you loose on Rainbow Cruise and you agreed to it.

Smash 64 Ruleset:

For Smash 64 I run things slightly different then the standard Apex ruleset. I swapped out Peach's Castle for Hyrule Castle as a Counter-Pick since that stage in mine and others opinions has no reason being legal. If you are unfamiliar with the basic rules of this game you can find them here: SMASH 64 RULESET

Smash 64 Stage List:
Like I said already swapping Peach's for Hyrule Castle was not a decision I made alone but it is pretty much accepted that nobody likes Peach's Castle...except Puff players I guess.

Starter/Neutral Stages
-Dreamland

Counter Pick Stages
-Hyrule Castle
-Congo Jungle

Banned Stages
-Everything else
However, if you and your opponent agree to it you can play on any stage you like. Just don't be salty if you loose on Saffron City and you agreed to it.

Project M Character Model/Texture Hacks:
Texture hacks are allowed upon request, if you have a certain texture you like just let me know and I can install it for you. Previously I have been completely against model hacks of any kind. However, seeing all these new alternate costumes in Project M 3.5 I don't think it's out of the question to throw a few in just for fun. Of course, nothing too extreme only changes that are more of an extension of the character themselves. For example this is my personal Phazon Suit Samus skin (screw that ugly Light Suit!) You can click the image below to go to Brawl Vault and find anything you could want to put into PM!

Music:
I love having custom music over my stages. For example one of my favorites is City Escape, a track that should have been in the game to begin with. If you have any requests for stage music just let me know and I will put it on. Yes Travis I know we need to work on combining our music packs.

Money Stuff:
Venue Fee-$5
-All proceeds go directly to Play It Again to help improve our gaming experience and the store.

Event Fee-$5 per tournament entry
-$5 will go into the pot for each event you enter. Active events are available for Project M and Smash for Wii U, and usually a side event that I will have people pick and vote on. This can be anything from Smash 64, Low Tier Melee, Doubles, ect.

The Payout-Depending on the entrants for the event, percentages of the pot will be broken up accordingly.

>40
-1st-60%
-2nd-30%
-3rd-10%

<40
-1st-50%
-2nd-30%
-3rd-15%
-4th-5 %

>10 (Usually only applies to Smash64)
-1st-70%
-2nd-30%

Final Words:
If you are in the Charlotte/Concord, or even the Carolinas area in general, come on out, have some fun, and enjoy playing some smash. If anyone was there and wants to give me any constructive criticism please let me know. I am all ears and I want to make these tournaments the best possible experience for you guys.

If you have any questions or need any information feel free to messages me on Smashboards or Frame Zero Gaming's Facebook page and be sure to follow Play It Again on Facebook. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

GreenChaChing

Smash Apprentice
Considering at the last tourney Wii u had the most entrants with over 45 people and 64 only had 9, I am dissapointed smash 4 will not be included this time. Maybe you could have a poll and whatever game gets more votes is featured in the tournament.

Last edited:

Play It Again Games

Smash Rookie
Since PM doubles and Smash Melee had a such a huge interest at the last tournament, I think Soul wants to give that bracket a run since we didn't have a chance to fit it in at the last event. I think the idea is to alternate formats from event to event to keep things fresh and fun. So no worries guys, Smash 64 is just a smaller crowd and easier to run as a side event this time.

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Considering at the last tourney Wii u had the most entrants with over 45 people and 64 only had 9, I am dissapointed smash 4 will not be included this time. Maybe you could have a poll and whatever game gets more votes is featured in the tournament.
Well 64 is more of a side event, that's why it's going to to run the same time as Doubles. Also Melee always pulls the same if not greater numbers then Wii U, the difference is the players. Don't worry we will have Wii U back the next time around.

lord narwhal

Smash Apprentice
Yeah man you need to come out to more events im trying to get a 64 monthly going. Cause right now your under me on the rankings and I know I'm nowhere near that level lol
wellllll if I see a respectable smash 64 tournament being hosted and i'm free I'll definitely come.
you have RANKINGS?

Xylq

Smash Rookie
how goes the Youtube footage? I'd imagine it would be a while with the round robin 64 tourny

Top Bottom