• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jahay, the Newbie Lucario In-Training!

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
I noticed you getting hit by 'nades and the mortar slide often. 'Nades can be a problem when trying to camp Lucario so when you here him pull one you should stop and prepare to throw it back.
I always have a fear of it blowing up in my face. I never usually bother to pick it up and throw it back. For some reason, I keep attacking those grenades as if it was pouncable. =_=
Not usually do I ever react to sound, It feels as if I completely become deaf.

You can grab Snake out of the slide but it can be hard to time correctly. Try FP to attempt to grab him out of it or at least try to knock him out of it. (I'm unsure of if the FP flame can knock him out of it though.) If grabbing him doesn't work try to powershield it.
What is this power shield of which you speak of?
I usually try to stop his mortarslide approach with aura spheres, as I destroy Ike's approach game the same way. However, I have problems with shield grabbing and how long I should keep shield up.

Snake sucks in the air so that is the best way to fight him. Comboing Snake in the air is easy to do with Lucario so you should be taking advantage of that.
I've tried to approach Snake in the air, either I'm failing or his utilt is destroying me. Perhaps I should make sure a disjointed hitbox is between us. I haven't gotten the timing downpat when it comes to how long the attack lasts. I shall work on that at once.

I watched the first video so I don't know if you did this in later ones. Use the FPCG. You can CG Snake up to 90% if done correctly. Watch out for a 'nade to be pulled out wjile doing this though. A 'nade really messes up the CG.

Good luck to both of you. =]
For some reason, I have never been able to chain grab Snake even at low percents.
I have been more cautious of his utilts and somewhat his close combat abilities. However, that caused me to ignore the C4 and mines of which he laid.

I appreciate the tippers. And I, the dark messiah, dare say... Thank you.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
^ just to let u know if u do try to throw my nades back at me i can make them drop at will.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
^ thats more of a yes and no b/c it depens on where i drop it at.

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
I've been attempting to double team, only to find out I get hit. I see the weird line things and get hit. Perhaps the counter doesn't activate instantly as down+b is pressed?

I need to expand my focus, as I find it rather difficult to focus on all of his grenades, C4, mines and forward tilts + up tilts. Doesn't come easy ya' know >: O Spacing is also important... I need to learn how to shieldgrab though. Like I can do it, but I find it really hard. I'm usually not in range for it. I'd also like to use my down smash and down tilt a lot more, as it seems under-used... at least in my case.

strike42, you're fun, and you rock :D
As I said before, I look forward to our next matches.

I request of more criticism, top that with a Megaphone please.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
I've been attempting to double team, only to find out I get hit. I see the weird line things and get hit. Perhaps the counter doesn't activate instantly as down+b is pressed?
Go into training mode, zoom in on Lucario and set the time to 1/4 and use Double Team. Look at the glowing ball things on his hands, when those are there, the counter will work. DT will not counter instantly, we aren't Marth =(

Tomkraven

Smash Journeyman
some people tries to do jab >jab> dt but personally i dont like it....
i recomend using dt just when u see a slow smash coming or a proyectile like link`s arrow or boomerang
or use it as a reverse dt to aproach spammers *looks at pikachu boards*.

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
some people tries to do jab >jab> dt but personally i dont like it....
i recomend using dt just when u see a slow smash coming or a proyectile like link`s arrow or boomerang
or use it as a reverse dt to aproach spammers *looks at pikachu boards*.
yeah jab > jab > DT is a really bad idea, plenty of characters can punish lucario before he can counter >_>

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Power shielding is where you put up your shield almost exactly when an attack reaches you. The result is a metal being hit sound. If you power shield a move, you can then drop your shield and do your own move significantly sooner than normal. It is so fast that normally you are hitting the enemy while they are still in the after lag of their move.

Try to play the game in a calmer manner. Don't do anything that doesn't make sense. Think everything through. Grenades are nothing to fear as they aren't in any way unpredictable. You can see when Snake pulls them out, you have an idea of when they will explode. Snake either throws them right away or holds them and waits to throw them. As long as you play in a very observant manner, little to nothing should truly surprise you.

Snakes love to approach with tilts. Your fsmash out ranges Snake's ftilt. You can also shield Snake's two ftilts and then you ftilt him, it works quite well. Your dair does out range snake's utilt if you do it at the very maximum distance above him that it can still hit. Try not to play in a repetitive manner. If you go at Snake from the air in a very obvious way and do it over and over, he is going to get better and better at hitting you because he doesn't have to guess what you are going to do anymore. I'm not saying to avoid using air attacks, because that would be a very bad idea, just try to mix up how you approach and fight Snake constantly. Use aerials, smashes, tilts, grabs, aura spheres, mix it up as much as you can. This also helps with keeping all of your moves from becoming stale.

Shield grabbing isn't too hard. There are just times when the enemy will do moves at you from a distance where shield grabbing won't work.

Use lots of projectiles. They are your long range attack. They allow you the opportunity to deal damage without taking any in return. A good deal.

Grab a lot. It is the best technique to use vs people who love to shield a lot.(Tons of people shield as the answer to everything) Down throw and back throw are not effected by Lucario's aura % boosts. That means that those two throws are at full power even at 0%. Use those throws a lot early in the match to damage the enemy faster than you normally would. Down throw does like 10 or 11% I believe, which is the same damage as an fsmash at 0%. Of the two, I prefer downthrow because it keeps the enemy relatively close to you, so you can usually jump up and attempt to hit them again.

Timbers

check me out
The second part of Snake's ftilt outranges Lucario's fsmash, but everything else dguy said I'm in agreement with. Pepper him with BAS. Snake's approach game sucks to be quite honest. The only way he can effectively approach a projectile camper is powershielding into tilts. That makes it very predictable and you'll generally know how to react before he even reaches you. I personally avoid using fsmash in this match. It's just too slow when going up against his ftilt, and your aurasphere will typically be stale when KO time comes. You can space him plenty well with auraspheres, and it's fairly easy to murder him in the air. He's a big target, and his aerial are all very laggy. He's going to almost always dodge your aerials when he's in the air. Bait the airdodge and punish.

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
I don't know, Fsmash is still pretty good. I normally do that fox-trot trick and go for an fsmash.
If I see him trying to land or down-air me or somthing.

But, I'll try avoiding Fsmash and see how that turns out.

Top Bottom