• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jack Thompson Interview: Claims Videogames Are A Form Of Mental Masturbation

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
Browsing over the MAVAV website I stumbled across this:

Article regarding Jack Thompson interview said:
We recommend this three page interview to all parents as Thompson freely discusses about sex, violence, pedophilia, ****, murder, and video games as a form of mental masturbation.
Full interview is here

I haven't actually read the full interview yet, but what I saw in the above quote certainly caused me to raise my eyebrow after lol'ing at what he considers "mental masturbation".

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Is there something wrong with working your brain, tackling hard things and getting enjoyment out of it?

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
"Mental Masturbation"? And here I thought the man couldn't go any lower...

Besides, wouldn't pretty much EVERY form of entertainment fall under this description of his? Absolutely ridiculous...

Zink

Smash Champion
So I'm actually not clean?
EDIT: Wow, he forsees a mass uprising by gamers to randomly kill people. Halo 3 ftw?

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Oh, gosh. You are clever!
I really wasnt trying to be. Im pretty sure we were all thinking the same thing. ; )

I dont know why Jack continues his crusade against videogames. If videogames were as bad as he said they were, society would have already been delivered to Hell in a neat little hand basket.

HarryPotter

Smash Cadet
shall I take this mental Masterbation further? *thinks*
nah, being a virgin is too much fun!
Jack Thompson needs to burn with satan.
-HP-

FireBomb

Smash Lord
T.V., movies, media, and even cartoons can influence people as young as children. Why would games be singled out? This is an absurd arguement between Thompson/goverment and gamers. It's something they just so happen to bring attention to the people just so they look like they're busy and accomplishing something. If they're going to waste their time, they ought to waste time efficiently, like playing a good game.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think Jack Thompson and the government need to realize gaming isn't the only influence in the whole entire world. Also, they can't honestly expect the end of gaming to go peacefully and if they choose to end all forms of media as we know it, they might as well prepare for the civil war they are going to bring about.

Top Bottom