• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

jabbing after knee to prevent shield grab

looking guy

Smash Cadet
Hey people!! so I've got a (probably noob) question: Does jabbing after hitting an opponent's shield with a knee (fast falled and L- canceled, of course) prevent you from being shield grabbed by all characters? that's all. I hope you can help me guys.

Captain JOHN

Smash Cadet
NNID
DatCarl
it might, but the lag after the jab (if the jab is also shielded) will get you grabbed. And the knee on shield needs to be a late hard knee so that you can even get your jab off. I'd put a little more research into it before i use it in tournament, but thats just me

TheWeis

Smash Cadet
Knee -> Gentleman on shield if you are worried about the shield grab and you aren't frame perfect enough for the knee grab

looking guy

Smash Cadet
it might, but the lag after the jab (if the jab is also shielded) will get you grabbed. And the knee on shield needs to be a late hard knee so that you can even get your jab off. I'd put a little more research into it before i use it in tournament, but thats just me
Why do you say it needs to be a late hard knee? Explain that to me, please!

looking guy

Smash Cadet
moves on shield do X amount of frames of shield stun
when you do an aerial on shield as early as you can in your short hop, you spend time in the air before Lcancelling. frames spent in air are frames wasted when a move does X amount of frames of shield stun
when you do an aerial as late as possible in your double jump, there are no frames spent in the air, only frames of Lcancelling

so lets say you do a move that does 15 frames of shieldstun:
you hit that move on their shield early in your short hop, and then spend 10 frames in the air and 8 frames Lcancelling
those 10 frames spent in the air are wasted

lets say you hit that same move on their shield as late as possible, and then spend 0 frames in the air and 8 frames Lcancelling
there are no frames wasted and you are +7 frames actionable compared to them

sorry if i didnt explain it well
Oh ok, I think I got it, anyways you'll need to be frame perfect or so to achieve it, most of us hit aerials asap in our short hops so it is a good tactic to do it from a double jump or a full hop. thanks man

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
Oh ok, I think I got it, anyways you'll need to be frame perfect or so to achieve it, most of us hit aerials asap in our short hops so it is a good tactic to do it from a double jump or a full hop. thanks man
That's one tactic, but also learn how to time for late aerials in your SHFFL's. That way you can be aggressive with this tactic and maintain pressure. Use FJ and DJ for baiting whiffs/mixing up timings.

Top Bottom