• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab lock setups?

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
Hello there Space animal lovers. I picked up fox again a month ago and now that I've got the foundation I'm trying to throw in some jab lock setups (I'm sort of obsessed with them). I've "found" and implemented some reliable ones with Lucina and DK but I haven't been able to consistently set this up with Fox.

So far the most reliable setups in order of difficulty I've found against a decent player are:

1. Second Jump - fAir (when holding the ledge vs camper)
2. uTilt - Short hop Fair (Usually by this percent you cannot lock)
3. Down Grab - Short hop Fair (This gets DIed away from alot and I find it better to just use Full hop fAir - uAir)

Anyone know of any they can consistently pull off? Foot stool setups are also welcome.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Soft nair to push them off plats is the only other one I seem to be able to get consistently. Then again, my execution is booty.

BradLeeTee

Smash Cadet
Well normally I get my jab locks by reading my opponent's aeirals. Seems like the priority on Fox's FAir is almost broken, unless I'm fighting someone like Marth with a disjointed hitbox then my aerial always beats out theirs. On some characters like Captain Falcon or Donkey Kong u can also use FAir as a punish since theyre so tall they dont even have to be on the ground to catch them in it. Another one that works is hitting ur opponent with the closest hitbox of Fox's downtilt at 40%~ then hitting them with a sour NAir, Im pretty sure they have no time to jump between the time theyre launched and hitting the ground. It's also worth mentioning if your opponent misses the tech after ur FF FAir at around 40-70% then u shud use a turnaround up tilt which combos into another FAir, u can get a nasty 30% combo from up tilts and FAirs alone.

Last edited:

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
@ EndlessRain EndlessRain Oh yeah I forgot about the platform setup..I'll try to keep an eye out for those opportunities. I'll check my smash corner to find the starting percentage for that. Do you think that would true combo into a ff fAir spike off-stage?

@ BradLeeTee BradLeeTee Normally I don't punish in the air with fox out side of short hop range, and a lot of people I do locals against right now are dodge happy so I find it better to wait on the ground and setup combos or smash punishes. I'll look into that close downtilt setup when I get the chance though. I've seen the insta fAir thing you're talking about I guess I could try that on taller characters.

I found RPK's video the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yzz8ecFonQ
It looks predictable though and would required a hard read to set up. I could see it useful for punishing a bowser bomb or something.

With the current tech known to setup u-tilt I've been thinking is u-tilt - fAir is the most reliable set up and I should just suck it up and work on my execution haha

Last edited:

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
@ BradLeeTee BradLeeTee I've tested the down-tilt setup and got it to work a few time in battle as well! It's definitely avoidable but it's honestly too easy to setup for me to not try it. Thanks for sharing this scrub approved setup.

For mario this worked starting a little over 40% in a real match and was swagalicious. Took the guy to like 80%, because firefox does like 28% dmg.

[confirm] Jab x2 -> [setup] D-Tilt -> [lock] Nair(sour) -> [finisher] FireFox Up

Now if I hit the lab with that Apache Loop (u-tilt -> ff Fair) I might be able to snowball into a killer up smash. Sorry the name just popped in my head while I was typing lmao.

BradLeeTee

Smash Cadet
@ GiMiX GiMiX Hey glad I could help u out man, I've been able to get away with this a million and a half times on people in FG thx to lag + people not knowing what a tech roll is but like u said it's pretty easily avoidable. And if u wanna add even more swag and dmg to that combo I showed u I found a few cool setups. One is hitting them with a grounded up air into another up air which can do 32%. I've also been able to do a pivot upward FTilt into another pivot FTilt to a FAir then u know wut comes after that, but this one is very unreliable since I've figured out from experience that pivot FTilts are either stage, character or DI dependant. Also gotta say Apache Loop sounded pretty badass to me lol

nKa ProtoType

Smash Rookie
Bair is heavily underestimated. Not only can it be used off stage, but it can also be used as a runoff setup. Whether it be in tournament or on Anther's, it is quite a consistent setup at mid percents. You have to be quick to connect the Short Hop -> Fast Fall -> Sour Nair. If you really want style points, you can hit an up tilt -> Fair to reset to another setup. I should have a full video posted later today (Saturday June 13th). Currently rendering/uploading.

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
I'd like to see this vid, I haven't had much luck with grounded bairs (especially vs little ****ers like ness and pikachu).

nKa ProtoType

Smash Rookie
I guess I'll go make it it's own post so it can generate more traffic and discussion.

Top Bottom