• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab Lock Setups?

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Mega Man has a nice jab lock (three pellets into uTilt). Are there any reliable setups for it?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I know from watching Kronos vs Hurl that item thrown MB will set up to it at certain percents I believe he said 70-90 depending on the character if they don't tech.

Also I heard that sour spot Bair off a platform will do it as well.

I believe Z dropped MB works too.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I saw that Kronos video...was wondering why MB sometimes set up for it and sometimes didn't. The second hit of slash claw can trip if you cancel the attack before the third hit, but I've never found a way to jab lock out of it, since it gives the opponent a good amount of horizontal momentum. Not sure if that's what your talking about.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
No, if somebody is standing on a platform above you and you hop up and hit them with the first two hits of back air, they'll slide backwards and off the platform and be forced into a grounded state which they cannot tech. From here you can Jab Lock->Mega Upper them for free. It's situational but very useful to keep in mind.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think with the thrown MB it depends on the percent. They have to be high enough so it bounces them up a bit before they hit the ground. I don't think it works as well with floaties because they have it happen at too low of a percent to get the KO.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
In a real match, I've only ever set up a jab lock with a sweet-spotted Nair at relatively low %. If they don't tech when they hit the ground, you're in the perfect position to get the jab-lock, which you should follow up with a grab at that %.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Mega Man has a nice jab lock (three pellets into uTilt). Are there any reliable setups for it?
Megaman can get a guaranteed Jab lock off a secondary Footstool. Megaman can combo (as in theres enough hitstun) into a secondary foostool (Leafstool > Zdrop > 2° footstool > Jab lock). charcters have different Footstool stun animations if their foostooled on the ground so you may need to use plant shield so you get the air footstool if ground footstool > Zdrop misses on that character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom