• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab Cancelling

bigafromusclekid

Smash Cadet
I found a fast and easy way to jab cancel. You simply jab and crouch cancel it soon after. It requires a little timing, but I find:

Nair - Jab Canceled jab - Jab canceled jab - grab - dthrow as an effective combo.

I think this will set up for more accessible combos especially against faster and smaller characters.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
AS we speak i am trying this technique... It works perfectly.. Thank you! This is going to be supremelt useful

bigafromusclekid

Smash Cadet
Also, this is a lot faster than shield cancelled jabs, so try this out. It's good for jab cancelled grabbing.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
How do you jab cancel? I know that is really obvious question yet I don't know how. I try to time my shields or crouch just after pressing A, but it doesn't seem any quicker at all? What am I not doing?

bigafromusclekid

Smash Cadet
Jab canceling is quite easy. You can't perform the crouch until a little after you jab. You can't immediately cancel the jab otherwise you'll just perform the kick.

Nica K.O

Smash Cadet
does this work on everybody or is it like character specific?

good stuff btw

this makes for some good mind games and mix ups

rklamer

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I honestly don't understand how Jab Cancelling works. Can someone explain it as simply as possible? XD

bigafromusclekid

Smash Cadet
press the a button, crouch, and then press a again. You shouldn't even see the crouching animation. Also, you can't crouch immediately after, otherwise it'll just go to the second jab attack. The idea with Ike is that you only get the punch out because it is the fastest of his AAA combo. This sets it up for grabs, Aether, or maybe some other attacks.

bigafromusclekid

Smash Cadet
I kind of invented it, I think. The only thing I've heard about jab cancel is with the shield button, but i didn't know how to do it :-) Other than that, I never heard of crouch jab canceling before.

bigafromusclekid

Smash Cadet
I don't care if i did or didn't. It's not like I'm trying to name it "afrojabbing" or "BAMK's jab". Nobody has been using this tech, and so I figured nobody knew about it.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
I kind of invented it, I think. The only thing I've heard about jab cancel is with the shield button, but i didn't know how to do it :-) Other than that, I never heard of crouch jab canceling before.
Ill just clarify it. You didn't invent it. Im not being a jerk, Im just letting you know that crouch canceling instead of shield has been used before.

bigafromusclekid

Smash Cadet
But that's the thing! Nobody knew about it! This isn't melee. There are barely any tech skills that came over from melee. It's a completely different game.

Neither of us know a lot about this game yet, so instead of saying "Oh yeah, that's in melee," to the 4 tech skills that came over, I'm trying to figure out what's in and out.

GTGD

Smash Rookie
Since I got the game I've been jab canceling G&W's pump with the crouch like in Melee. I actually wasn't aware that the shield was used to cancel it by most people until now, since people only ever say the term rather than how to do it.

Miller

Smash Lord
But that's the thing! Nobody knew about it! This isn't melee. There are barely any tech skills that came over from melee. It's a completely different game.

Neither of us know a lot about this game yet, so instead of saying "Oh yeah, that's in melee," to the 4 tech skills that came over, I'm trying to figure out what's in and out.
Are you ****ing ********? Ive been using this **** since day one.

Stop being a little ****, GTFO the internets

Rabble2

Smash Rookie
the afrojab, its doesnt matter if you invented it thats what it will be called
lol Miller's jealous :(

bigafromusclekid

Smash Cadet
Wow Miller, Sorry if you're mommy and daddy don't love you.

Anyway, I realize that jab canceling repetitively can help with spacing without sending them too far out. This could put some characters outside range of hitting, but then you can follow up with an ftilt.

Miller

Smash Lord
Ohh no, now im going to go cry.
Lately it seems that I, and a handful of other people on these Ike boards, are the only sane ones.

GTFO the internets

DuB 22

Smash Cadet
Yeah this is terrefic! I never really liked SC the jabs. Ya know, I tried it a little online, you can even get a down tilt out of it after you hit 'em with a couple of cancelled jabs. *Cheers* Ike has new combo starters!

bigafromusclekid

Smash Cadet
Are you ****ing ********? Ive been using this **** since day one.

Stop being a little ****, GTFO the internets
Wait.... What?? So I'm a **** because You've been using a tech skill in a completely different game. Ok, I see your logic now. You really are the only sane one on the Ike boards.

Top Bottom