• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur's Gender

festizzio

Smash Champion
ok, I guess alot of you have good reasons for calling him a girl, so from now on, I will call all of the pokemon it, oh and I would like to express my sorrow that an alternate form didn't give squirtle sweet sunglasses
Omg yes, Squirtle Squad sunglasses would have been AWESOME!

Achelion

Smash Cadet
Ivysaur's voice is pretty terribad. Nothing like the show where it is lighter and near-identical to Bulbasaur's.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
I personally try to call any pokemon I can, a girl. Because most pokemon do look like guys. So whenever I can convince myself that it looks like a girl, I call it one. Squirtle doesn't look like one to me, and charizard is iffy. I suppose it could be a girl, if I really tried to convince myself of that. But Ivysaur just looks and seems most convincing. So does her voice in the *** version, I have yet to hear it on the US one.

??? all pokemon are both genders, you wouldnt have any ivysaurs if there wasnt a male and female mate

if you mean THIS ivysaur in THIS game, then, idk, it doesnt list their genders, it doesnt matter though.
they all look fit to fight, and i could care less if they lacked pokemon genetalia.

hentai alert: (charizard with a ballsack ftw)

RenegadeRaven

Smash Ace
Supposetly its been confirmed (or atleast largerly accepted) that Ivy is a female but I don't care about that. I think she is female because of the overly female voice acting and the somewhat girlish way she poses after her victory.

"But 87.5% are males" well so what? Over half of all our population are female (Thanks to the fact that men, on arvg, die younger than females) but we don't use that as the default sex when refering to people.
How often are you confused about a HUMAN's gender in order for you to say that? Besides these are pokemon not humans.

Using your logic and relating pokemon to humans would only explain Ivysaur to be male but simply "girly"

squiser

Smash Apprentice
Ye know, I don't see why voices would change based on gender for Pokemon. Butterfree male/female has always sounded the same in the anime, and I think there was a girl Charizard in the valley of the Charizards that sounded the same ._. So the voices still do not confirm that Ivysaur is a guy, although I can see why it would suggest it. To be honest, I dont' think we'll ever know unless someone from Nintendo or Sakurai returns an e-mail or something.

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
Could be any gender but seriously why does it matter I don't know why some people argue about it (thats stupid)

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Ye know, I don't see why voices would change based on gender for Pokemon. Butterfree male/female has always sounded the same in the anime, and I think there was a girl Charizard in the valley of the Charizards that sounded the same ._. So the voices still do not confirm that Ivysaur is a guy, although I can see why it would suggest it. To be honest, I dont' think we'll ever know unless someone from Nintendo or Sakurai returns an e-mail or something.
I don't see how they could really make a female Butterfree's voice different than the male's... If it was anymore high-pitch, we wouldn't be able to hear it.

Actually, the normally do change the Pokemon's voice to indicate gender. I've seen this with Meowth, Donphan, and several other's I can't recall.

Ivysaur's voice is very masculine and suggests it's male... But it's entirely up to the user, I suppose. (I have a hard time imagining Ivysaur female now...)

And Charizard doesn't count, a roar is a roar.

Black/Light

Smash Master
How often are you confused about a HUMAN's gender in order for you to say that? Besides these are pokemon not humans.

Using your logic and relating pokemon to humans would only explain Ivysaur to be male but simply "girly"
. . .I meant GENERAL.(People titles)

Fire MEN

Police MEN

Mail MEN

ect.

Male seems to be the defult gender when, in general, talking about a title that can have either sex. Never said you would misstake someone as w/e, just that it's common for people to refer to the male title as a defult.

And no, my "logic" says nothing of the kind. I CLEARY saud that it's up to the person to choose w/e the hell they want to refer to her as.

Japanese Ivy seems to be the female and US one has this realy deep voice. . .pretty much clears it up. You can refer to Ivy as either because it seems to actually be a girl in one game and a boy in the US one.

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
IDK. But Ivysaur's voice is very misleading. It sounds like a man, not like a tiny green four-legged dinosaur with a plant growing from its back. I imagined Ivysaur's voice to be kinda raspy, like it is in the anime.

Edit at 6:09

Ivysaur a her?

Listen to this.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=kQOEHk9mhbI

Black/Light

Smash Master
IDK. But Ivysaur's voice is very misleading. It sounds like a man, not like a tiny green four-legged dinosaur with a plant growing from its back. I imagined Ivysaur's voice to be kinda raspy, like it is in the anime.

Edit at 6:09

Ivysaur a her?

Listen to this.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=kQOEHk9mhbI
"Japanese Ivy seems to be the female and US one has this realy deep voice. . .pretty much clears it up. You can refer to Ivy as either because it seems to actually be a girl in one game and a boy in the US one."

ShuffleTrain

Smash Journeyman
My female dogs has a deep voice, she's a big dog.

However, in Japan Ivysaur is a she.

But in America, Ivysaur is a she still, just deeperrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr voice.

However

I call Ivysaur and Charizard girls because they're both females in my game.

But

My Squirtle is a male

So

I call him a boy, or he.

And

That's it :dizzy:

Black/Light

Smash Master
My female dogs has a deep voice, she's a big dog.

However, in Japan Ivysaur is a she.

But in America, Ivysaur is a she still, just deeperrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr voice.

However

I call Ivysaur and Charizard girls because they're both females in my game.

But

My Squirtle is a male

So

I call him a boy, or he.

And

That's it :dizzy:
Well, you do have a point about the voice. My old female dog had a deep bark as well.
I guess I will still go off the girly V poses and call them both females (JPN and US Ivy.)

squiser

Smash Apprentice
Ugh...I listened to it a second time, and I realized it doesn't sound like the anime at all. Ivysaur really does sound male in that clip...

I have issues with calling Ivysaur a girl in one game and a guy in the other. They're the same game in different languages, it shouldn't change gender like that. To me it's a lot easier to view the Japanese as a guy than it is to view the US as a girl.

I'm so confused...I don't know why I care so much.

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
i dont care if ur female dog sounds like a guy! ivysaur is a pokemon! not a dog!

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
I, for one, am quite annoyed at this change. I liked the idea of Ivysaur being a girl, and now that they've made the voice undeniably masculine I'm going to have a hard time convincing my friends that Ivysaur's a girl. -_-

For crying out loud, if they just kept the same raspy Ivysaur voice from the show you could argue it being female, but this...

Black/Light

Smash Master
i dont care if ur female dog sounds like a guy! ivysaur is a pokemon! not a dog!
Pokemon, animal, same thing but with different names.

And pokemon arnt people, voice may not be a gender difference for them :p

(See what I did there?)

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Ivysaur might sound like a chick in the *** version, but in the American version it's definitely a guy...a ******** guy from a mental institution, but a guy never the less.

I think Ivysaur is refered to as a girl because:

A) IVY(saur)-Ivy is a girl's name
B) Ivysaur is associated with flowers

squiser

Smash Apprentice
Nah on this board it seems to be a combination of her voice (which I never did buy...I believe male Ivysaur would have sounded like that too), the reviews which called Ivysaur a girl, and Ivysaur's girlish taunts.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Doesn't it say on the trophies wether it's a "he" or a "she"? Or does it refer to them by name (IE Ivysaur's B attack is _____" instead of "His attack is...")

Card

Smash Lord
Doesn't it say on the trophies wether it's a "he" or a "she"? Or does it refer to them by name (IE Ivysaur's B attack is _____" instead of "His attack is...")
A Seed Pokémon that is the evolved form of Bulbasaur. It has a flower bulb on its back, the weight of which has made it develop strong legs and hips. If the blossom gets too big, the Pok�mon can't stand on two legs alone. At a certain level, it evolves into Venusaur. When this happens, the bulb absorbs nutrients and blossoms into a large-petaled flower.

(taken from BrawlCentral's Trophy Guide)

It refers to Ivysaur as "It".....

ShuffleTrain

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's localization thing?

What if all Ivysaur's over in the eastern countries sound like that?

EXAMPLE!!

My friend got his FEMALE Arbok from Uraguay, and she sounds like a hissing German Barry White.

But, the male AND female Arboks I see (and hear) in American zoos sound exactly like that Spanish chick from Lost.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE!!

Sharpedo is like a shark and a half!

And, it can still either gender!!

What's up with that?

Galvanic

Smash Journeyman
Like Kirby for instance. Perhaps it doesn't have a gender. It's a pink blob that sucks large objects into it's being through it's giant mouth... does it really have to be a he or she? Does it matter at all?
Hasn't Kirby always been referred to as a he? I never knew anybody suspected him to be a her.

TheLake

Smash Master
This is honestly my favorite brawl thread.

I hope it lasts forever

With that said i like to think japanese its a girl and american its a guy. Yes yes that means the PAL version gets the "homosexual" Ivysaur and australians get the asexual viking ivysaur whos sexual lust can only be quenched by the thrill of battle (Which means he gets a 2 percent attack bonus and 2 spikes...lucky auzys <_<). With that blatantl disrespectful and hopfully (or not) seemingly impossible view aside Im gonna be using the japanese ivysaur cause it sounds cooler. Isnt that all that really matters?

MeowMeow

Smash Cadet
would it be sexist to say women are weak, and thus if you think ivysaur is weak, you may call it a female. haha just kidding, it doesnt matter.

Hong

The Strongest
In this scenario, just call it what you want. One Pokémon Trainer can refer to her Ivysaur as a she while playing another trainer referring to his as a he. I don't think anyone will up-end the tea table over it. :/

When me and my friend were playing last week, we both referred to Ivysaur as a she without thinking into it. On that note, she actually questioned me when I called Charizard a "she". I probably said "she" more in the way a captain refers to their ship as a she or anything else of great magnitude. I guess that's off topic, though.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Watching Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden in Japanese, I can tell you that the Ivysaur (or Fushigisou) in Brawl was meant to be female. The one in Brawl is quite feminine sounding compared to the ones in Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden...so yeah, the English version pretty much changed the gender....oh well.

Top Bottom