• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ivysaur's a girl????

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Grammar tip: The correct way to refer to an unhuman object is to use the pronoun "it." I remember learning that in English. =D

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Usted is your it, and don't tell me you never heard of it, the only pronoun you would have nevr heard of is vosotros (yes I did take Spanish class).

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I'm going to have to ask my language teacher that one (who says video games aren't productive)

chubas

Smash Apprentice
Usted is another word for the pronoun 'you', usually used for showing respect. Is used for people, and is genderless.
We have a neutral pronoun, 'eso', but is used mostly for inanimated things and abstract beings. We still give most nouns a gender (for example: la oscuridad - the darkness (femenine); el sábado - the Saturday (masculine)). Animals and other 'things' do have a gender.
Vos/Vosotros is a very arcaic form of Usted/Ustedes. Still used in some regions, though.

Oh, and totally off topic. @_@

Mi Charizard es muy buena. SHE PWNS.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Sorry, just pointing out that there are words that serve both genders. But determining whether an animal has a masculine or feminine name does not determine gender. For example, Venado means deer, and it is a masculine word, but it is rather easy to tell its gender (antlers, there are other ways too [it's easier to determine mammal gender]) and there are females. Same rule applies, despite the fact that these Pokemon are more reptilian, have no gender difference, no easy way to determine word gender (I checked, they are the same in English and Spanish) and odds that make one gender more likely (7 to 8 ratio of being male for Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard), so, we can infer that it is a male.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Thank you genetics! (why do you think flowers are like the way they are, but besides, be glad they're flowers, our ancient ancestors needed them to out-populate the Dinos and survive that meteor [yes I believe in evolution])

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
Ivy is called a girl because of the irony. It's supposed to be a joke, lighten up. :laugh:

WITH

Smash Apprentice
Ivy is called a girl because of the irony. It's supposed to be a joke, lighten up. :laugh:
i totally get the humor in it (see OP), but i don't think its meant as a joke by most who say it...this thread was basically to see if i was missing anything about the gender because it didnt make sense to me.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Same here (thank you supercharged left cranial hemisphere [left side of your brain deals with math and logic problems, see, told you it's supercharged])

Charizard92

Smash Champion
And now my only sanctuary in the boards is being invaded, I have been here for less than a month, give me some slack. I think the reason that my posts are similar is that while my left cranial hemisphere (logic and math) is supercharged, my right cranial hemisphere is around the size of a golf ball (the right cranial hemisphere is where art and creativity is dealt with, which I horribly suck at)

Top Bottom