• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IVs

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
As a lot of you know, I'm making a Borderline and below (mostly Borderline) team. When I thought about it, I found that my team will be inferior to many Overused teams that I will face (there aren't many Borderline teams, so I'm going to have to convince to make 1/2 Borderline 1/2 Overused or something). Therefore, I knew that my Pokemon had to have some edge over the opponent. So, the only way that I could think of are IVs to give me the edge. So, I decided that it might be better to get good IVs on my Pokemon. Here are my questions:

1) Are IVs really worth the time it takes to get good IVs?

2) I don't have many Rare Candies, and I don't know many people who would go on Wi-Fi with me for that. Is there an easier way to check IVs without the hassle of training the Pokemon and recording the EVs?

3) What are considered to be "good" IVs?

Thanks.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
1. Yeah, they're pretty worthwhile.

2. Well, you need Rare Candies to check your Pokemon's IVs!

3. I'd say anything 25 or above is good, but for a sweeper, I'd suggest at least 29 in the sweeping stat and 30 in Speed.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

fluffy

Smash Champion
1.) yes. they determine the 'quality' of your pokemon and the hidden power.
2.) i think you can IV battle. or just buy action replay from ebay for 20 bucks.
3.)the closer to 31, the better.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Yes, they are worth it. If you want people to IV battle with you, go to the smogon forums, there's always people there wanting to IV battle. Just ask. And yes, the closer to 31, the better. It takes A LOT of breeding to get good IVs (or not, depending on how lucky you get). UmbreonMow's got a method for getting perfect IV pokemon (legitimately!) so you might try asking him.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
lol Mii and fluffy are the Pit Bros.

...Right?

Anyways, to check a Pokemon's IVs... Use RCs to make it's level 20 or 25, or even 30 or 40. Then, use an IV caculator and input your Pokemon's stats. Since you didn't do any EV stuff, you don't have to worry about EVs messing up your IVs. The caculator will show you your Pokeman's IVs.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
lol what do you mean.

btw Demenise, i have perfect IVed dittos if you want. Obviously hacked but they make everything smoother.
Heh. No, thanks. I'm not too big of a fan of hacked Pokemon. In fact, I despise them. :)

What's an easy way to obtain Rare Candies?

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
lol what do you mean.

btw Demenise, i have perfect IVed dittos if you want. Obviously hacked but they make everything smoother.
Well, our avatar is Pit, and wii're brothers.

...Right? Are wii at least buds? Acquaintances? Or are wii mortal enemies? :evil:

You can use a cloning glitch to get multiple Rare Candies. Attach a RC to a Pokemon, clone the Pokemon, and now you'll have two RCs.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Demenise

Smash Journeyman

...Right? Are wii at least buds? Acquaintances? Or are wii mortal enemies? :evil:

You can use a cloning glitch to get multiple Rare Candies. Attach a RC to a Pokemon, clone the Pokemon, and now you'll have two RCs.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99
This is DEFINITELY one of those times where I wish that I wasn't against glitches, even if it's just for something like this. :(

Any other way to get 100 Rare Candies easily?

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Hmm... Maybe you can trade with people who have Rare Candies on their trading Pokemon... I dunno...

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

tshahi10

Smash Ace
lol what do you mean.

ooh i want perf ived dittos
so far i have an almost perf ived skarmory(31/31/31/31/23/31) and had to chain breedover to the poke

fluffy

Smash Champion
there is no easy way to get 100 rare candies...if you're still against the use of magical hax and spells, then you would have to painstakingly fight the elite 4 over and over and over and over and over and over again.

we're all of the above of course! btw i dont think ive battled you before. battle somtime?

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
we're all of the above of course! btw i dont think ive battled you before. battle somtime?
I'm not hooked up to WiFi yet.

Congragulations, fluffy. You're the 8th person I've let down. :cry:

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

ss118

Smash Master
As a lot of you know, I'm making a Borderline and below (mostly Borderline) team. When I thought about it, I found that my team will be inferior to many Overused teams that I will face (there aren't many Borderline teams, so I'm going to have to convince to make 1/2 Borderline 1/2 Overused or something). Therefore, I knew that my Pokemon had to have some edge over the opponent. So, the only way that I could think of are IVs to give me the edge. So, I decided that it might be better to get good IVs on my Pokemon. Here are my questions:

1) Are IVs really worth the time it takes to get good IVs? No

2) I don't have many Rare Candies, and I don't know many people who would go on Wi-Fi with me for that. Is there an easier way to check IVs without the hassle of training the Pokemon and recording the EVs? No

3) What are considered to be "good" IVs? epends. Defensive people should have 25+ in the defense areas, 101 subbers NEED 31, and some people need 31 speed to outspeed something

Thanks.
read bolded

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Here goes nothin,

IVs are needed for a poke to get its Max stat. The most IVs you can get is 31, you can get 31 IVs in up to 3 stats, if they're more than 3 31s, that's a hack.

You can do IV battles, which is going onto wifi and battling at lv100, that's the best way to check IVs.

You can get Rare Candies from a lv100 poke with Pickup, or JUST CLONE THEM!!!

game & kirby

Smash Apprentice
Ultimately, it's just really hard to get perfect IVs if you're against hacking, Demenise. If you're looking for some sort of edge over OU teams like you said in your first post, look beyond statistics, and to the meta-game. The advantage you have is a team no one will have thought of using! For example, what use are hazers or rapid spinners if you don't use swords dance or spikes? Ice beam is everywhere nowadays because of Garchomp and Salamence, but what if you don't have an ice weak on your team? I know it's hard with UU pokemon, but there are ways you can get creative!

Easier said than done, I know

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Alright. I guess that it's okay to exploite a glitch this once. After all, it's not like I'm copying Palkia. :)

Thanks.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
By the way, does anyone know how to copy Pokemon? I tried the GTS glitch, but I can never get it to work.

Lightningmage

Smash Journeyman
;
You can do IV battles, which is going onto wifi and battling at lv100, that's the best way to check IVs.

No hax, no glitches, as fair as can be. Serebii.net has a WiFi room, you may find a considerate soul amidst the spammers. That's what I'd do.

My fiancee plays too, so it was easy for me to IV battle. Saves time and candy. Send me a PM and I may be able to get on for an IV battle or two to help you.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
You only need 9 rare candies to get a general idea of the IVs. Use metalkid's calculator. Every time I hatch an egg, I save, use the rare candies (recording the stats every level) from level 1 to level 10. It doesn't give you precise readings (it would be easier if you started at a slightly higher level) but it lets you know if they have any 30 or 31's.

Breeding for IVs is worth the time because once you strike gold (multiple 31's) you can clone the pokemon and trade with people for other pokemon you need online. GTS glitch is the only in-game way to clone pokemon. Action Replay is used by many people for cloning because 1) it's risk free and 2) it's easier. It may seem wrong, but most people are fine with it because you could clone the pokemon anyways.

killer tofu

Smash Lord
If you need good iv pokemon just lemme know.
I iv breed my whole team. And i have lot's of pokes with 31 iv in stats that weren't quite team good but make great parents.
Applaud people who don't hack. Cuz they are amazing.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Here goes nothin,

IVs are needed for a poke to get its Max stat. The most IVs you can get is 31, you can get 31 IVs in up to 3 stats, if they're more than 3 31s, that's a hack.

You can get Rare Candies from a lv100 poke with Pickup, or JUST CLONE THEM!!!
Is there a cloning glitch in D/P? I know there's one on Emerald...is that what your talking about?

Top Bottom