• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've got some character concepts here, take a look.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Hey there. I've been wanting to make a Smash fan-game for a while now. I'm pretty new to coding in GML with Game Maker Studio, so it'll be a while. Until then, I'll just sit on some ideas unless I get some help or something.

The project I have in mind is basically just a Melee clone with more streamlined mechanics, better balancing, and a totally new and original cast of characters both with new and familiar gimmicks.

Below I have some character concepts that I think would be pretty cool. More info is listed in the spoilers, along with their possible movesets. Tell me what you think.

Here, we have Laser.
Laserportait.png

Some backstory, for funsies:
Laser is a rogue member of the Orbital Police, those who protect the Earth from alien invaders. He decided to run away long ago after getting caught smuggling extra-terrestrials who weren't certified to be on Earth, but weren't threats either. He's been on the run ever since, making a living off of capturing intergalactic criminals.

Overall gameplay concept:
Sort of a mix between Falco and Captain Falcon in Melee. Combos are his biggest strength, with recovery being his biggest weakness. His mobility is also a little lacking, though his jumps are rather fast.

MOVESET:
lasermovesetp1.png
lasermovesetp2.png

Neutral B: Blaster. Laser shoots a laser from his blaster straight forward. Does minimal damage and knockback. Meant for long range pokes and making openings. Autocancels upon landing. Think Falco Lasers.

Forward B: Warp Drive. Laser hits a button on his gauntlet and warps a short distance forward. Has notable (and reactable) startup. Primarily used for recovery, as it doesn't kill. Knocks opponents up and forward. Can edge cancel is spaced correctly.

Down B: Negation Field. Basically Falco's shine. Frame 1, jump cancellable, knocks opponents straight up. No invincibility on frame 1.

Up B: Jet Boot Flight. Laser's boots rocket him upward with an uppercut and keep him aloft for approximately one second with control of his lateral movement. If you input an aerial before the flight portion of the move ends, you will do an aerial with Laser becoming helpless afterward. The quick startup on the uppercut hitbox makes this a good out of shield option.

Nair: A generic sex kick neutral air. Not much to say here.

Fair: Laser swings his foot forward. A good combo starter. Knocks opponents up and away. Low knockback scaling.

Bair: Basically Captain Falcon's bair. A decent kill move.

Dair: Basically Captain Falcon's dair. Spikes (no meteor cancelling in this game) and starts combos on grounded opponents.

Up air: Again, basically Captain Falcon's up air. Can combo into itself as well as other moves.

Jabs: Two small punches. First hit can jab reset. Doesn't transition into japid jabs.

Forward Tilt: Laser thrusts his foot out in front of him. This hitbox is very active and has a low trajectory, making it a good edgeguard.

Up tilt: An uppercut with Laser's back hand (in relation to his stance, that is). Hits above and slight behind him. Good for starting or continuing juggles.

Down tilt: Laser pushes his foot out along the ground, hitting low. Has a low angle and can knock the opponent down at higher percents, setting up a techchase.

Forward smash: A round kick (pardon the awful gesture I drew for it, ew). Has good range in front of him. Very strong kill move. Comes out fast, very laggy at the end.

Up smash: An uppercut. The strong his is directly in front of Laser, with the weaker hit at the end of the move, on his fist. Kills the latest of all of his smash attacks, but it can be comboed out of.

Down smash: A low sweep kick. Reminiscent of Smash 64 Falcon's down smash. The front hit launches opponents at a low angle, the back hit knocks them almost straight up. Comes out quickly, high ending lag.

Dash attack: (not pictured, I know. Sorry about that.) A running left hook that knocks opponents up and away. Low startup and ending lag, but doesn't kill at any relevant percent and has rather inconsistent followups.

Last edited:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
And second, we have Marie.
Marieportrait.png

Some more backstory funtime:
Marie is a treasure hunter and explorer. She obtained her sword, dubbed Rising Star, from an enchanted set of armor guarding the tomb of an ancient emperor. When she was an infant and was found to have magic powers, the people of her town attempted to burn her. She was rescued by a kind thief and was raised by him from there on out.

Gameplay concept and whatnot:

She has huge strengths in the areas of spacing and combos with her gargantuan sword. Her sword is actually slightly longer than she is tall. Her game plan relies on keeping opponents out of range to hit her. She is slow and has a lot of landing lag and endlag on her moves, but her moveset is relatively safe if you space well. She also possesses great kill power in a few of her moves, meaning punishes are a big part of her playstyle.

MOVESET:
mariemoveset1.png
mariemoveset2.png

Neutral B: Arcane Hand. Marie moves her free hand out in front of her, surrounded by a magical aura. Does multiple hits. Intangible from the forearm to the hand. Does reasonable damage, but is too laggy to be comboed out of.

Forward B: Quick Strike. Marie steps forward and swings her sword upwards. Very quick startup with a few intangibility frames. Meant to poke holes in pressure by opponents with the unexpected range and speed.

Up B: Warp Lance. Press and hold Up B to make a controllable portal that you can move around for a short distance. She well teleport and come out of the portal you placed, thrusting her sword forward. Doesn't have much offensive use, as it doesn't kill at relevant percents and can't be comboed out of.

Down B: Abyssal Stalagmite. Marie causes a blast of green fire a short distance in front of her. Launches opponents straight up. Low enough end lag to combo out of with aerial strings.

Forward smash: Marie teleports a short distance forward and swings her sword in a wide arc in front of her. She is intangible while teleporting. Moderate startup, long ending lag. This move kills extremely well and has very long range because of the way she teleports. This move is mostly reserved for punishes, as it is very easy to punish if whiffed.

Up Smash: An upward sword thrust, surrounded by a magical wind. Deals multiple hits. Does reasonable damage, but cannot be comboed out of due it having long ending lag.

Down Smash: Marie thrust her sword into the ground, making a shockwave around her. She shockwave sends opponents away on a low trajectory, getting hit by the sword sends them straight up with significantly weaker knockback.

Jabs: Jab 1 is a small magical palm thrust that sets up in Jab 2, where Marie lunges forward with her sword. Has amazing range, as her sword is thrusted straight forward.

Forward tilt: A downward swipe very close to Marie. Knocks opponents up and away. A very quick move. Can kill at higher percents.

Up tilt: Marie swings her sword up and in front of her, knocking opponents up. Good for starting juggles and aerial strings. Has slight startup and ending lag.

Down tilt: A floor-level lateral sword swipe. Knocks opponents upward. Has the most startup of her tilts. Out of all of her tilts,however, it kills the earliest, possibly killing a mid-weight character around 100%.

Dash attack: (I know, it isn't pictured. Sorry about that.) A lateral sword stroke with slight forward momentum. Knocks opponents up and behind her. Too laggy to follow up out of.

Neutral air: A spinning sword swing that hits on both sides. Long startup, ending lag, and langing lag, but has a very active hitbox with a semispike trajectory.

Fair: Marie's primary aerial combo tool. Quick startup, long ending lag. A forward swing that knocks opponents forward and slightly upward. Very comparable to Marth's fair.

Bair: Marie thrusts her sword backward. Moderately slow startup, but it's her only aerial that kills at a decent percent. Very low trajectory.

Dair: (I did a very poor job drawing this one, just bare with me here..) Marie does a tight backflip, swinging her sword upward at the end. Covers every angle except for above her. Knocks opponents up and forward. Moderate startup. Is a great combo starter.

Up air: An upward swing, covering almost a semicircle around Marie. Great for juggles and aerial strings.

Last edited:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna leave this placeholder post here if I ever decided to digitally draw once of the other character concepts I have in my sketchbook. Most likely this one, as I already have it drawn on my computer, although not very well.
iceskatingbirdpersonportrait.png

(Heh, pardon the name, it isn't final)

Falcon0808

Smash Rookie
Laser is the one with the dumb name, he looks generic and unoriginal.

But the others look AWESOME, I hope Marie will have some kind of combo where her magic launches her foes into sword range.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Laser is the one with the dumb name, he looks generic and unoriginal.

But the others look AWESOME, I hope Marie will have some kind of combo where her magic launches her foes into sword range.
You've got a point about Laser. A big inspiration for his design was retro sci-fi book covers. I definitely could've done more to make him stand out. Also, have you opened the spoilers under the images to see their movesets?

Top Bottom