• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ITT: We list funny yet common things people do against Charizard.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Making a clear mistake when playing a fighting game, such as missing what by all rights should be a guaranteed punish is something that inevitably happens all the time, even among the best of players. However, it has recently occurred to me that Charizard really excels, and may in fact even be the #1 character when it comes to doing things that shouldn't work, yet nonetheless somehow works anyway, even against very skilled players. Below are four extremely common things even the best of players I've fought against have done against my Charizard, even though they shouldn't:

1. Successfully shielding Flare Blitz, and then attempting to punish the move with a dash grab, or any other kind of attack that does not connect successfully.

2. Successfully shielding the first hit of Rock Smash, and then letting go of shield, most commonly in an attempt to perform a shieldgrab, before all of Rock Smash's hitboxes end, resulting in what would normally lead to Charizard being punished ending up as the opponent taking damage, knockback, and ending up in a disadvantageous situation while Charizard emerges unharmed.

3. Failing to recover against a Flamethrower edgeguard, most likely due to not mashing Up B enough. To my knowledge, there are only five characters that can possibly, in any situation, be actually gimped by a Flamethrower edgeguard: ROB (Flamethrower can prevent him from reaching the ledge with Up B until his fuel runs out), Diddy Kong (Flamethrower can destroy his jetpack), Villager (pop their balloons), Robin (if he or she runs out of energy for Elwind) and Yoshi (flinch him out of the end of his second jump/Egg Toss). Yet in spite of that, countless players I've fought, even the best of such, fail to recover against a Flamethrower edgeguard with just about every other character. Captain Falcon players are particularly prone to this for some reasons.

4. The exact opposite of #3. Rather than not mashing Up B quickly enough when being edgeguarded by Flamethrower, they mash Up B a bit too much, resulting in them failing to sweetspot the ledge and going up too high, exposing them to a Fsmash or Dsmash. Below are two videos of this mistake being made (the Charizard's opponents make this mistake twice in both videos, losing a stock each time!):

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Trying to stop Flare Blitz with a weak projectile. Always funny.

Challenging Flare Blitx with a physical move. Why?

Trying to meteor Zard and then getting KOed by Fly.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
In regards to 2, some people do not expect a multihitting move when they shield, plus.... considering the damage Rock Smash does to the shield, letting it go is the best thing to do anyway.

Last edited:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Reacting to the Flare Blitz and then in a moment of sheer genius opting for roll back towards the ledge instead of just holding shield.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Trying to trade with upB and expecting something other than death.

Trying to punish well-spaced dtilts and getting hit by jabs and whatnot.

Trying to recover near the ledge by double jumping, unaware of dsmash's range, and getting KOed early.

Not to mention the countless random fsmashes people get caught on.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
People getting hit by fsmash as the try to grab the ledge. The looks on their faces are what always get me.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
When you get lazy and decide to side B really high above the stage, letting char tumble gently down to earth.

It's a silly facade that works way more often than it should. If they go for a greedy punish you just fly them into the top of the screen. :006:

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
Every time I jump up high, opponents airdodge, which gives me a free killing up-b.

Also for some reason I find that hardly anyone knows how to properly DI up throw. The lack of MU knowledge is really fun sometimes.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
1. Successfully shielding Flare Blitz, and then attempting to punish the move with a dash grab, or any other kind of attack that does not connect successfully.
This happens way too often in FG, and i keep laughing everytime it happens. I had a match where a Mario kept trying to dash grab every shielded Flareblitz. He just didn't learn...

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
To me, the best thing for funny moments is fighting FG :4ness:/:4lucas:, honestly. Those poor fools do so much wrong.

• Trying to grab Flare Blitz, probably to try and get another FAir chain, and having it ram into them at full power.
  • Using PK Thunder to propel themselves into an edge-guarding Flamethrower.
  • Trying to use PK Fire as a long-ranged projectile, only to get caught by Flamethrower.
  • Going for a FAir offstage and missing, causing them to get spiked by Charizard's DAir.
  • Using PSI Magnet at all is just hilarious when they think you'll keep pressing Flamethrower after the initial burst; they'll hold up PSI Magnet and let you punish them for free.
  • Going for a PK Thunder recovery, but directing the attack into Flamethrower instead.
  • Charging an FSmash when you use Rock Smash right in front of them.
  • Double jumping into Charizard's UAir or USpecial.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Trying to stop Flare Blitz with lemons. :4megaman:

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
Airdodging after a d-throw only to land and get grabbed again during the airdodge landing lag.
This happens to me too often.

Also for some reason no one expects weavebounced flamethrowers. Even after i have used them like five times in the set already...

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
When they shield flamethrower and try to roll past you or punish it in any way.
I get caught by this myself haha. I always get frustrated when I can't punish the move, but when I play Zard obviously I'm glad its so safe.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
How to punish flamethrower:

Wait for it to stop
Punish the 20 frames of recovery zard has to make
Don't try to punish while the fire is out.
Unless it has no range.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Sometimes when I'm respawning, they stand at the perfect distance for a sweetspotted Bair to hit.
And then they get hit by the Bair.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Yes! In general, people really don't know the range of bair. I've hit a lot of sitting ducks, and the response is like

"What, that hit?"

"WHAT? That KILLED ME?"

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
It's been over a year now.

THEY.STILL.GO.FOR.GRABS.WHEN.SHIELDING.FLAREBLITZ.

Had this happen at least 10 times today, 2 times in one single match.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Sometimes when I'm respawning, they stand at the perfect distance for a sweetspotted Bair to hit.
And then they get hit by the Bair.
This happened to me on Anther's ladder twice in one game back when it used 3 stocks. Both times I respawned I took my opponent's stock with a sweetspotted Bair. Like I get the first time but like bruh, do you remember what happened last time? Well here it comes again.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Maybe they thought they'd hit a powershield and go to town?

That'd be what I'd tell myself if that happened to me. And it might have, though I almost never see Zard on the ladder. I'm trying to rep him, but I don't have a solid understanding of what MU's he fits into my style right now.

Plus, since he is conceived as a bad character, I have had people think i was being BM by switching after a win. And I don't wanna disrespect them... but I wanna zard stomp some nerds.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
DI Down Throw Up at 80-90% because it made me miss a F-Air earlier, only to be killed by an Up-Air.

Trying to Counter a perfectly spaced U-Smash

Not knowing how to DI Up Throw so I can hit a Flare Blitz out of it.

Top Bottom