• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's sad that more top players from certain regions don't choose to play a new character.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
As my old thread was locked, I figured I'd make a new thread expressing the same exact issue in a PC way.
I've found that most people, save a few who insist on playing to win (But that is a mindset and personality type of its' own that would yield similar results in any other situation), play the character they enjoy the most or have the most fun competing with. Perhaps certain top players legitimately enjoy the characters they play and don't care for the new characters or are just plain indifferent about them. It could be that other people don't necessarily like what you like, or vice-versa.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
A lot of Melee players who are really good just use their Melee characters and look at PM as just another paycheck until people get good at "x new character vs y melee character", at which point I guarantee Melee players that look at PM as nothing more than a paycheck will just complain about how op GnW or some garbage is and then quit playing. The Melee players that actually enjoy PM either just really enjoy their Melee characters, or in a lot of cases have characters that they work on, but don't deem as strong as their Melee characters.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
I completely agree with the sentiment that it is a shame more players aren't picking up new PM characters. With skill and knowledge, new characters should be able to at the very least provide a rush of victories based on lack of their opponent's knowledge. Any player worth his salt should be able to look at the prospect of new matchups as a wonderful breath of life into the game, and I think it's silly and insulting to disregard new content for the sake of playing more falco dittos. Even in casual play I see many melee "vets" who shut down and nope the idea of learning something new, and I am only inclined to call chicken**** on the people who claim to be good at the game and can't adapt.

TL;DR - I don't care if you can make 50 bucks playing falcon, I would expect better from anyone who calls themselves a gamer.

SunJester

Smash Ace
The PMBR should release a version for tournaments only when Melee players enter. Marth's sweetspot should be on his hilt, falco's d-air should send people upwards, the knee should have 1/4 knockback and if fox drill shines he instantly dies.

Then maybe they'd be forced to pick a different character and see how good this game really is.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
TL;DR - I don't care if you can make 50 bucks playing falcon, I would expect better from anyone who calls themselves a gamer.

Who cares what you think if you're not winning? I smell a scrub here.

People who complain about new matchups without learning them are annoying, but complaining about character choices other people make are even worse (Falcon is sufficiently different from melee BTW).

Yeah, I'm learning Lucario and Charizard but if things ever go south in a match I usually switch right to Marth and until/unless another character is yielding better results no amount of ******** is gonna make me switch back.

ITT: People switching to their favorite characters in PM and still sucking at Melee matchups.

SunJester

Smash Ace
^ People aren't being salty about losing to Melee top tiers, they're being salty because all people do is play PM as Melee with a few new stages. They don't try any of the new (or buffed) characters, any of the new stages, and treat the game like its an extra paycheque to help them fund their plane ticket. That's pretty crappy considering all the hard work that has been put into this game.

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
Who cares what other people do or what characters other people play. Just play who you like and get good enough to beat them. If someone is unwilling to try the new characters, then that's their prerogative. Do what you want to do and play who you want to play and don't worry about anyone else. And if this kind of thing bugs you so much, then take your new character to new heights and learn to crush their decade old tactics. I think the community would be healthier as a whole if we could just learn to appreciate both the vets and the newcomers for what they bring to the table. I love Zard and G&W, but I still pull out Falco and Falcon every now and then because they are fun to play.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
you realize we actually do want people who play melee top tiers at a good level around still, right?

i mean, i understand why people would be frustrated that they basically see melee matches in pm, but if we want to actually see how the new pm/brawl characters do against the original pantheon, you can't just have scrubs like me playing fox/falco/shiek and hope to see something good come of it.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I agree with the shiny Mewtwo. I really couldn't care less. Whatever character you pick is your business.

Top Bottom