• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"It's not you, it's me..."

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Hola amigos, and happy Valentines day!

Have you ever reeeally wanted to main a particular character, but just... couldn't? Maybe you dropped
the character because he/she didn't fit your playstyle, or maybe the character bored you, or maybe even
because the character was just downright bad?

i've always, and still do tbh, wanted to main alph. I love his game, I love the way he looks, and something about
his small hitbox is just so cool! But whenever i try and play him against someone else, I feel... scared..
I get nervous, mess up, and get frustrated. Eventually, I gave up and dropped him in favor of toon link.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I've always wanted to pick up Lucario for being one of my favorite Pokemon, but I haven't exactly nailed down his Extreme Speed or his general playstyle yet.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I really wanted to learn Megaman when the game first came out, but he just didn't really fit the way I like to play in this game. I also really wanted to learn Ryu when he first came out, but my small bit of experience with Street Fighter 3rd Strike and SF4 was not enough to play him that well until playing him for a while and finally getting his neutral game down (my Ryu is a monster now).

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Peach is definitely one of 'mine'...

She is such a awesome character with alot of tricks and lovely movement options, power and combos...but i just can't progress with her. I've been playing her since June of last year and i just can't get to an adequate skill level with her. Its either I DESTROY and everything i throw out works, or I'M DESTROYED and nothing works and I can't 'get in there' to take control.

I understand she is one of the hardest and most 'technical' characters in the game blah blah ,with a high skill ceiling that seems to expand every week, but i just can't help but be mediocre and feel clueless with this character alot.XD Especially when i look over at the players that exclusively main her. She just seems too daunting for my small brain and constantly falls out of my radar and labbing regimen. :/

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
Robin and Villy are the two that I can confidently call my Secondaries, but always have confidence-issues when using them in matches. I'm just not reassured in my skill with them to be feel fine going into a battle with them :<

I suppose I'll just live with that and focus on my mains~ :drshrug:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Ohhh yeah, definitely.

:4dedede: Kirby Right Back At Ya! was easily my favorite T.V. show growing up as a kid, even if I didn't really see much of it because of school/the times it aired/etc. I loved King Dedede's character and he was easily my favorite, and I feel they captured his personality through facial expressions perfectly in Smash 4. But... I don't know why I never play as him, or at least play as him seriously. Maybe because I'm not interested? I feel like I am, but at the same time... eh? Is it because of his reputation as a bad character? I'm not too sure myself, honestly. Maybe I'll try him soon...

:4lucina: I really liked Fire Emblem: Awakening, and I really liked Lucina's character as well. I mained her at one point, and then I just... stopped. I think it was probably because of Mewtwo's release, who I took much more seriously (despite him being very bad upon release) and she just sort of faded into obscurity. Every now and then I try her out, but I end up getting my hands jumbled up; I can't remember how to play as her at all. I was to relearn her, but then it warrants the usual "why don't you just use Marth instead?" question. I still like her as a character, but in Smash she's not exactly what I'd like her to be.

:4sonic: I like some Sonic games (with Sonic Heroes being my first, which I enjoyed), but in Smash he's just... eugh. I don't like how he revolves around his side b and down b, and whenever I win as him I feel like I did something to upset the other player which I don't like doing (which is why I lose some matchups that characters are supposed to win, simply because I hate the way you're supposed to play in them), and then I feel bad. Sometimes I use him just to joke around with, but I can't see myself ever taking Sonic up full-time, or even part-time for that matter.

:4luigi: One of my favorite characters in the Mario franchise, yet one of my most despised characters in Smash. I hate is playstyle with a burning passion, and how awkward he feels. I mean, I guess that's what he's supposed to be, right? Irony.

:4gaw: I want to play G&W, but whenever I do get the urge to play as him, I always end up deciding to go with a more familiar character in Smash. I don't know why, either. I just... do. That's all I really have to say.

Ever since the Final DLC has dropped, I've been running solo with Mewtwo and Corrin since their playstyles appeal the most to me. I guess I could take tomorrow and spend it messing with some of the characters I've been wanting to use. Maybe I'll find a diamond in the rough or however that saying goes.

Furret24

Smash Master
For the longest time, I've wanted to main :4bowserjr:, but I just couldn't seem to click with him, no matter how hard I try.
:162:

Last edited:

Cool Trainer Ace

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bleechwiiID
Strange, but I've always wanted Wii Fit Trainer as a main after seeing Acestarthe3rd play as her/him. But I just cannot play the character no matter how hard I try. For starters, I'm terrible at edge guarding, so that's pretty bad when trying to use WFT. And secondly, her move range is utter garbage. I just cannot play a character with so little range, especially since I play characters mostly with long range and disjoints. I'm kinda sad about it.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
I Tried to play pikachu for a few months, but i had to take (I want to say two months off?) due to work hours/ gamepad getting stolen. Im getting back into it soon when I get a new tv this weekend, but I can't help but ponder things in the meantime like my future playing this. That said I really like pikachu, I really do, but I never got anywhere with him losing 0-2 my first tour like two weeks in haha. I love what i can do with him when I don't **** it up, but even if im playing well I cant kill anything at all. I'm not skilled enough to land the kill confirms reliably, nor do I feel they are even reliable enough to spend hours learning. I'm making my move over to meta knight because he was one of the characters who I really liked but forgot early due to bad first impressions. Hes similar to how pikachu was (Small, fantastic recovery, edgeguarding, fast, great combo game) with the added benefit of kill power. I havent tried to get the upair stuff yet, but just on fundamentals alone and some high % kill confirms I have done fairly decent in practice. Wish me luck guys! :drshrug:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Oh boy, I've got a lot of those characters:

:4greninja: I was so hyped for this character. I'm a huge Pokemon fan, and Greninja is one of my favorite gen 6 Pokemon as well as one of my favorite starters. When I heard that he was going to be playable in Smash, I was reeeally happy. I did not expect him to be playable at all. When the 3DS version launched, he was the very first character I used. I mained him for a long while. After a month or two though, Shulk got in the way and I eventually dropped Greninja. I started playing him the other day, and boy he does not feel as smooth as he used to. The way he hits things... I can't describe it; it feels like I have to try really hard to get all the combos I want, and it's just frustrating. It may be because I've gotten better and realized that this character wasn't for me, but Greninja just doesn't feel the same. Maybe the nerfs really did affect him after all. To be fair, I never got into the Greninja meta, so I never found out how much Greninja's nerfs had affected him.

:4robinm: Another character I got hyped over. I'm also a big FE fan. Awakening isn't my favorite but whatever; the more FE the better. Anyway, like Greninja, I used him for a while. I eventually dropped him though, because after playing with him online, I realized that I actually wasn't good with Robin. As a character, he's a little too precise for my liking. I'm not a huge fan of characters that leave so little room for error.

:4lucina: Also one of my most hyped Smash 4 characters. For a while she has been one of my favorite FE characters. I don't like her nearly as much anymore (considering EVERYONE likes her now), but she's still cool. I dropped her because again; she's a character that just didn't feel right for me. As I played more characters, I slowly stopped using her. I guess it's because I expected her to be a unique character. Instead, she's just a Marth clone, and not really an interesting Marth clone either. I'd rather play Marth now, because his tipping mechanic is so fun, even though it's not as strong as it was in Brawl and Melee. Keep in mind that I don't mind clones. I just feel that unlike Dark Pit, Lucina feels very underwhelming to me as a character.

:4bowserjr: Favorite Mario character, so when I heard he got in Smash, I got really happy. I didn't play as him though; I played as all of the other Koopalings. I was so shocked that the other Koopalings were in the game, that I eventually stopped paying attention to Bowser Jr. Like all of the other characters, I just stopped using him because I just wasn't feeling him anymore. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of the Koopa Klown Bowser Jr. I expected Bowser Jr. to focus more on his paintbrush than anything. Like Lucina, he's just too underwhelming for me to play. :/

:4shulk: He's been my main for the longest. Out of all the characters I've used, he has the highest play time, records and everything, more so than my current main Roy. Dropped Greninja for him. I was in love with his crazy play style and long range. Plus, he was a new character for me; I was interested in getting to know about his character. I dropped him around June though, because Roy came along; I felt like Roy was much better to play because unlike Shulk, I could make an error and still get away with it mostly. Shulk is like Robin in the sense that you have to be really careful when using him; make one mistake, and you'll be punished heavily. I still use Shulk every now and then, but I'm very rusty now and I don't really feel like using him much anymore. I understand that Roy probably isn't much better than Shulk, but Roy for me just personally feels much better to play. I really wish Shulk had gotten landing lag buffs; he'd be incredible.

:4megaman: and :4darkpit: Last but not least. Long story short: I thought I was good with these guys, but after getting beaten really badly online and by my friends, I realized these characters probably weren't for me. However, I think that I may pick them up again some day; they're really fun, even though Mega Man in particular looks kind of difficult to master. :U

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
:4gaw:. I love this character so much, but I just can't play as him for the life of me, which is why I reserve him solely for casual FFAs with my friends online.
I tried:4megaman:a little bit in the earlier days of Smash 3DS, but alas, you have to be good at the game to play as him... (though I am trying to pick him back up, if only casually, after playing through some of the classic Mega Man games)
EDIT: I completely forgot about:4robinm:, who I tried picking up as soon as I got Smash 3DS, but dropped after a month or so for roughly the same reason as the above.

Last edited:

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
:4palutena:-- I legitly wanted to play her at one point. But it just didn't work out too well for me. I can never get used to her and her ATs are pretty tough to learn as a result.

:4metaknight:-- Since I'm a sword character player I like to at least know how to do decently in funsies with each sword character. Meta Knight is just not one of them. He doesn't feel fun in my hands.

:4sheik:-- For a very very short period of time, she was my main during the Brawl days. I gave her a chance this time and just couldn't. I'm too used to my swordies.

:4falco: -- He was so fun in Brawl minus the chain grabbing. He feels pretty different from his Brawl iteration here and it just pushed me away from him. RIP Bird.

:4greninja: -- I legitly wanted to play him, even after the nerfs. His style just doesn't fit mine. I still pick him in funsies in very rare occasions.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
:4duckhunt: Duck Hunt
I got intensely hyped when I saw his trailer. I was determined to main him no matter what. I wanted to be the best of the best with him, but... Turns out I'm down right terrible with him. He only lasted the first three months; however I've just recently gotten back to him. I'm trying my hardest to get better with him yet it seems like I'm getting nowhere. Maybe it's because I'm not patient enough when using him?

I do tend to play rather aggressively with Duck Hunt while being as cautious as possible. I'm still trying, but it might not work.

:4wiifit: Wii Fit Trainer
Another one I was oh so excited for. I did a lot better with her than Duck Hunt but she still didn't last. Eventually I slowly started to play her less, and I suppose others did too as Wii Fits quickly became near extinct online at the same time I dropped her. I still do play her though on occasions but it is very rare. It's certainly not even enough to consider her a secondary, but she does still get attention.

:4gaw: Mr. Game & Watch
This one was very upsetting. I played him often in Melee and even mained him in Brawl. He was considered my best of the best at the time. I was very confident in what I could do as Mr. Game & Watch; however once I got Sm4sh U and started playing online I've learned I can't do a single thing with him. I can do so well with him, and my friends can never beat me as Mr. Game & Watch a lot of the time but when it comes to Online? I might as well be asking for the butt whopping. I love him so much and want to play as him too...

Online sort of made me re-think that though given the fact I can play against a variety of people and finally find out who works for me.

It's still quite upsetting but I'm unsure if anything can change at this point.

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
:4tlink:
The question is who doesn't want to main him after playing Wind Waker? Why I gave up trying to main him? Well... He was a bit too projectile heavy and floaty for my taste.

:4wiifitm:
Back in the days when I mained Wario I wanted to have WFT as a secondary. Why? Well they are pretty pretty much anti-me. I ain't fit, but I ain't fat. I ain't tall tall, but I ain't small. I hate sports, but I dislike slacking. You get what I mean? So why I gave up trying? DEM HITBOXES. Well tbh it was more about his overall mobility and very odd projectile game that turned me off.

:4samus:
She is just too floaty.... That is all (well I had a bad habitat of doing RaR Bairs all the time :S)

:4darkpit:
Once again I lost my interest on him thanks to his mobility. He is very similar to Swordfighter which is why he felt like a natural choice.... But.. Like I said he was just a tad bit floaty for my taste.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm currently feeling this way about Bayonetta... I love most everything about her. Her games are some of my favorites, her design is awesome, the stage they went with is fun and has great music. But I just can't get behind what seems to be a character that relies so strongly on b moves. It feels counter-intuitive. I've decided to try her out a bit more, but honestly it might not be meant to be for me...

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
It's funny for me. I've been maining :4tlink: from the start. He's fun, he's from my favourite series, he feels like a character that I can show his potential to everyone.

Seemingly however, I've faced worse times with him. i.e: me not being able to win matches against high tiers, him not being able to keep up with my pace, being less limited in options than others. While at times I thought he just couldn't be good enough in what I need. So I tried to change to :4zss:

Believe it or not, I felt like ZSS was able to cope with the inconsistencies I had with Tink. She felt easier to punish with, killed more consistently, be on a equal playing field. I've gotten good results from her but there was always a doubt inside me about her. Is this who I really want to main? It took me a while to get good with Tink yet I felt like ZSS was so much easier to learn and play. In the end, I chose to end up with Tink cause he's the one that I think is right for me and I'm determined to do better with him.

In the end, I almost changed mains from the lack of results but I still coincide play with both characters in my lineup.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
It's funny for me. I've been maining :4tlink: from the start. He's fun, he's from my favourite series, he feels like a character that I can show his potential to everyone.

Seemingly however, I've faced worse times with him. i.e: me not being able to win matches against high tiers, him not being able to keep up with my pace, being less limited in options than others. While at times I thought he just couldn't be good enough in what I need. So I tried to change to :4zss:

Believe it or not, I felt like ZSS was able to cope with the inconsistencies I had with Tink. She felt easier to punish with, killed more consistently, be on a equal playing field. I've gotten good results from her but there was always a doubt inside me about her. Is this who I really want to main? It took me a while to get good with Tink yet I felt like ZSS was so much easier to learn and play. In the end, I chose to end up with Tink cause he's the one that I think is right for me and I'm determined to do better with him.

In the end, I almost changed mains from the lack of results but I still coincide play with both characters in my lineup.
Why don't you pocket Zero Suit Samus for when you need her while still maining Toon Link? :p

Back to the question asked by the OP, I've wanted to main Sonic (Being the Star of my favorite video game and all), but I can't get used to his playstyle at all.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I also want to learn Greninja in this game, but every time I play I just end up playing as my mains and other characters, so I never really make any progress with him.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
I've been maining :4mario: in Sm4sh since the demo code era, but I secretly wish :4wario2: was as good as he was in Brawl, because he was my main in thay game. I also wish I could play:4pacman: a bit better--I haven't fiddled with him much since last summer due to college, but I feel like he has so much untapped potential and is truly a unique character.

With all that being said, however, I've never wanted to switchup my main from :4mario: for Sm4sh, as he clicked with me since the code-demo. Rather, I'd like to have an arsenal of secondaries that I could play well in case my Mario playstyle (or the matchup) isn't working out well. (This is especially true for spacies like Rosalina and any Swordsman). I'm happy that this Smash is the first (since 64) that Mario has actually been GOOD. (and he has yet to recieve any buffs or nerfs)

Jaypen7

Smash Cadet
:4shulk:- He looks so cool, Xenoblade is cool (even though the actual gameplay isnt my thing), Xenoblade OSTs are cool, Monado is cool, his taunts are cool, but I just can't play him at all.
:rosalina:- Every other Mario spin-off game I pick Rosalina. I tried to play her but she doesn't feel right for me at all.
:4pikachu:- I do sorta know a bit of how to play the pika, but I just don't enjoy it too much.
:4palutena:- I played a good Palutena (only one I've ever faced online), won, and decided, "Why not try playing her?" I just can't.

Rioku

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiokuMattenake
:4falcon: - Bet I'm the only player in the world who can't play Falcon. I've played a lot of Falcon, but he's probably my worst character in the entire smash 4 roster. Similarly I'm absolutely awful with him in Melee and PM despite trying to main him in PM and him being my second most used character in Melee to Pichu. At least I can play him in Brawl Minus and not feel like a fraud.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
:4falcon: - Bet I'm the only player in the world who can't play Falcon. I've played a lot of Falcon, but he's probably my worst character in the entire smash 4 roster. Similarly I'm absolutely awful with him in Melee and PM despite trying to main him in PM and him being my second most used character in Melee to Pichu. At least I can play him in Brawl Minus and not feel like a fraud.
Yeah I'm also really bad at falcon, I just lose all thought and dash attack :drshrug:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
As odd as it sounded to myself when I realized it, I like the play style of :4lucario: and I want to learn his move set, especially to help with the Sheik matchup. However, I just can't seem to use smash attacks, down air, neutral B, or side B well, which is really hindering me.

TyDye

Crash Bandicoot for Smash!
:4gaw: and :4feroy: I love playing as them but never seem to have good results. Even when I win its a struggle.

:4bowserjr: I was most excited for him being added to Smash 4 but never really enjoyed playing as him.

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
I wanted to get good with Robin and Fox but I just cant

D

Deleted member 269706

For the longest time, I had problems playing with Peach and Fox. I always thought they were super cool characters but I just couldn't play as them. Peach was too advanced and I didn't have the patience to learn her, and Fox was too quick and slippery. Fast forward a few months. I no longer have a Wii U, but I have fundamentally developed as a player, and am doing much better with them. I'm actually working on making Fox my new main! If you're having problems picking up a character, there's two things you can do: (a) work on fundamentals, or (b) play random. Both will develop you as a player. When you start doing these things, you'll stop playing the character, and start playing Smash. When you get to this point, you'll be able to pick up any and every character. No you won't be perfect, but you'll have a much better grasp of what to do with them.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Honestly there are quite a few for me:
:4robinf: Was my first go to character choice the first second I played smash 4. I honestly forgot about them somewhere done the line and now just dont have the time to work on another technical challenge like Robin is.
I also tried my hand at Villager here, specifically this skin I lovingly named "crack eyes". unfortunately she got left in the dust when I picked up Samus and have no idea how to legitimately compete with her now. To do so requires research and again not enough time at the moment.
:4littlemac:I still will use a mac now and then but generally I let him go because he gets to easily gimped in 3-8 player matches which is about 50% of my smashing. Though I might pick him up again due to the fact I just purchased Punch Out from the E-Shop. (that and I had a great match against a good cloud using the mac)
:4kirby:To be fair I'll still use Kirby, but just never when I need to buckle down and win against a tough opponent. I feel in time Ill go back and play around with him more so he's in the secondary range and a legitimate option but as it stands I just don't have the... you guessed it, TIME.
:rosalina:This one was more about my friends than me, I use to have Rosaluma as a legit secondary but my friends hated when I used her. So to avoid never having friends to smash with again I let her drift away given that I honestly could understand why.
:4sheik:I just suck with her.
:4wiifit:this one kinda pains me to bring up because I honestly want to still have her in a pocket in the near future. But my brain can only handle 1 unorthodox fighter at a time. Maybe when I feel like I don't need to practice with Samus as hard (dream on right?) then I will brush up on Wii Fit's kit.
:4peach:One day I will get the hang of using Peach, It's just a matter of who does she replace in the practice priority bracket?

What it really boils down to is Time and Complexity of play. To compete with Samus, you have to play differently than the classic smash mold of "attack, shield, grab". With a bad roll, a god awful grab, and Smash attacks that whiff and don't kill reasonably for the risk they invoke you have to rewire your gameplay a bit. After doing so it takes a lot of patience and time to refine, refine, refine and refine your spacing, inputs, and mixups just to compete respectably with Samus. To win takes intelligence and a level of precision thats near impossibility.
Given that I've whole Heartedly taken on such a burden leaves me focusing solely on my Samus play. So thats why most of these characters got the axe. However I don't think :4ganondorf: or :4cloud: is going anywhere in my current secondaries list, however I just recently picked up :4zelda: so she's still in flux.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
For me, it's definetley :4villager:.

I love Animal Crossing, so when I first discovered he was going to be playable, I flipped out. I really looked forward to using him, and when the game first released, he was one of the characters I played first.

However, I just can't get a feel for playing him, his attacks feel slow and awkward, and I know he's actually a really good character, but I just can't seem to use him effectively.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
:4dedede: I actually mained this character from the beginning. I love the character and he's fun to play as and fits my playstyle. Unfortunately he's gotten no buffs since release and he's just awful against the top tiers. So I had to drop him because I like winning more than Dedede. If he was just in the top 50% of characters I'd main him.

:rosalina:I really want to pick her up. She fits my playstyle well and I know I could do well with her. And she's a top tier. But I just can't do it because I have zero passion for the character, and I find her extremely boring.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've played and dropped many characters, but no character made me feel like this other than...
:4shulk:
I love Xenoblade Chronicles (my favorite Wii game), I am a massive fan of the character (my second favorite video game character), and he was my most wanted character during speculation. When he got confirmed, I was hyped and I was gonna main him day one! Over time though, I noticed that Shulk had significant flaws. I felt like Shulk just gets easily comboed, it's annoying to get to the Monado Art that you want the most (I've scrolled past it numerous times; if I get the Art I want off-stage, well... RIP Shulk), and his endlag is just atrocious. What made me drop Shulk was his complexity. Basically, if you don't master Monado Arts Landing Lag Cancel (MALLC), you won't get far with him and you won't be mastering him. I couldn't do the technique consistently and I just played him less as a result; he felt like a chore to play than he was fun. It also didn't help that I was spending more time on Luigi, my main. If I dedicated less time to Luigi and more to Shulk, maybe I would have improved as him, but I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere with him. It honestly hurt me to drop him...

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
This applies to me for a lot of characters. If a character doesn't click with me immediately, it doesn't seem like any amount of practice at them fixes that, even when it's just something basic.

:4luigi:I can't mash for downB recovery/gimps lol

:4robinf:I like the character and her moveset, but I just can't stand playing a character that moves that slowly, and the 7 frame jumpsquat throws off my timing with aerials.

:4cloud2:I can't get used to his recovery distance and keep killing myself trying to edgeguard lol

:4myfriends:Robin jumpsquat + Cloud recovery

:4megaman:Love Megaman, but "a billion tiny papercuts" isn't as fun to me as big, beefy single hits. I guess that's what utilt is for, but still.

:4metaknight:Love the character, but it's a playstyle mismatch; as my mains should indicate, I prefer characters that control space and wall opponents out to characters that thrive on getting in and starting combos.

:4lucario:Mostly can't get used to the combination of slow attack/move speed and short range. He's fun, but I'm awful at him.

:4pit::4darkpit:Feels clunky and basic. I think the main problem I have is that their aerials lag like hell when not autocanceled, which limits their use; if it weren't for that I'd probably enjoy the characters more.

:4mewtwo:I don't really know why I can't get used to Mewtwo. Seems like a character that should fit me well, but...

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
:4pit::4darkpit:Feels clunky and basic. I think the main problem I have is that their aerials lag like hell when not autocanceled, which limits their use; if it weren't for that I'd probably enjoy the characters more.
Didn't come here to pick on anybody, but I just find it kinda silly... Dair and Bair are safer mathematically when you land with them, and Bair is fairly safe like this with it's range.

But anyway, I have a bunch too.

:4palutena::4shulk: are some of my favorite characters ever, but they're dead to me in Smash because they suck. There's just... No reason to play them in 1v1s. Palutena I think could work in a future Smash game, but Shulk really can't because of Manado Arts.

:4bowser::4megaman::4metaknight::4yoshi::rosalina: just don't fit me at all. They all have significant weaknesses and things can go bad very quickly over one mistake or just turn to jello in a bad matchup. I beat myself up enough over making small mistakes as the Pits and coming in with the wrong one, so I really can't imagine how I'd handle it with these guys.

:4rob::4tlink: I kinda just don't play. They fit me well enough, but I don't put time in on them because I don't think they'd offer much for it. I'd sooner pick up :4lucario::4myfriends:and (character who beats :4zss: with low matchup effort) to cover some of the Pits' matchups.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
:4pit::4darkpit:: They just feel....not bad but boring. You're very limited in how you can style and be creative with these characters as they're like, strictly fundamentals. No cheese, nothing really massively interesting (to me). Dark Pit gets brownie points for his dumb Side-B.

:4megaman:: Just doesn't work for me like, at all, in a handling and moveset sense.
:4greninja:: One day I'll figure it out I'm sure.
:4zelda:: I mean I can do stuff it's just only funny for a little bit.
:4palutena:: Same as above only replace stuff with 4 really good moves.
:4duckhunt:: Being unable to kill really, really sucks.

Really a lot of this cast is pretty playable to me, the game's pretty universal about what's rewarded, but there are obviously some character exceptions.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
For context, I run a Randoms Only side event every monthly wherein you go random for characters as well as for the eight legal stages we have, so I've had plenty of chances outside of friendlies and goofing off to test some of these in a semi competitive environment. The verdict...? Oh god...

:4lucario: I wanted to. I tried. I really tried. He just does not and will not gel with me in this game, which is strange considering how much better he felt in Brawl to me.

:4fox: LMAO, yeah, I just can't. Absolute garbo with him. But Falco? Now that's much more comfy to me.

:4megaman: Ugh...moving on...

:4shulk: Of my worst characters, though, Shulk is THE worst for me. Almost every time I buster (heh) out of the Randoms Only side event, it's because of this guy. I literally cannot play him efficiently and my SDs are incredibly laughable when I do get him. He is the one if I get I am guaranteed not to have a chance winning with.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
:4greninja: - Moves were slower than I expected.
:4littlemac: - I like his ground game, but he is deliberately lopsided.
:4megaman: - I think he's fun, but just exhausting to play. Up Tilt is godlike though.
:4luigi: - His traction makes it harder to punish attacks at times. I also can't mash to save my life (literally). I would play him more if I could get the mashing consistently.
:4pacman: - There's just too much stuff to remember. And he's just too floaty.
:4duckhunt:- He feels exhausting AND mediocre. Very hard to kill with, meh mobility, iffy zoning.
:4robinf: - I thought she would be a solid pick, but I didn't like the combination of laggy projectiles + poor run speed + bad grab range. Feels too weak to pressure without the zoning to make up for it. At least she has a good kill combo.
:4ryu: - Very solid character and somewhat intuitive, but I just didn't consider him worthy of being a main. Still fun.
:4shulk: - I didn't expect him to have such slow attacks and pitiful smash attacks. He'd be so much better and fun if his attacks were a tad faster.
:4villager: - He just doesn't click. Very solid, but not for me.
:4wario2: - I like his aerial mobility and his command grab, but his attacks are so stubby, even more so than Mario/Doc/Luigi's.

D

Deleted member

:4bowserjr:I can't play as Bowser Jr. for the life of me, nor do I really have interest in playing him. He's one of my least favorite Mario characters and he feels so clunky and slow to me overall, even if his neutral is pretty solid and he has good item game.

:4dk: Despite being the best superheavy in the game, DK just isn't fun for me at all. With me having a complete lack of attachment to his series and finding characters like :4bowser: more interesting since his playstyle fits me more along with him being my favorite video game villain, the Kong just ain't for me. I'll probably never get over that pathetic vertical recovery.

:4mario: I've really tried to give Mario a chance throughout the series (I like him most in PM), but he's just so vanilla for my tastes. Just... boring. :4pit: and :4darkpit: do the "all-rounder" archetype better.

:4robinm: His slow mobility, bad grab and his high learning curve overall turned me off Robin for the most part. He's not a bad character by any stretch of imagination but he just doesn't fit my niche.

:4lucas:I was uber stoked for when Lucas was revealed to come back to Smash 4, especially since I mained him for a very long time in Brawl. I did the same for him in 4 for a few months until I started having less and less fun with him, realizing how mediocre he was in comparison to most other characters, and :4ness: just felt way more versatile and fun to play, and I had been playing as Ness longer than him. Lucas just feels really unrewarding to me in this game, and him getting noticeable nerfs from Brawl (much less KOing power, worse aerials, smashes and tilts) just make him much less fun for me to play in Smash 4.

:4littlemac: I really did try seeing Mac having potential as a secondary of mine, but his playstyle feels so one-dimensional to me and I always feel so limited against most opponents due to how horrible his disadvantage state is, along with how easy it is for others to space him out and edgeguard him.

:4falcon: He has great frame data, decent at killing and good reward off throws. Like other characters I mentioned, his playstyle is not interesting to me at all. I'm not a big rushdown person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
:4greninja:One of my favorite Pokemon. He's so cool looking and unique and his playstyle is smooth but I feel like I could never play him at a highly competitive level.

:4pacman:One of my favorite video game characters. He's just way to difficult to play effectively.

:4dedede:I would love to play him but I really can't get a hang of him. Unlike other superheavies, his playstyle just doesn't really mesh with mine.

:4olimar:He seems so interesting and unique but he's pretty difficult to play for obvious reasons. I don't think he really works well for me.

:4bowserjr:I was so excited when he was revealed. I thought he might even by my main/secondary. Long story short I pretty much never ended up playing him.

:4lucas:I'd like to play him because he's fun and wacky. Unfortunately, he really doesn't fit my playstyle. He fits it even less then the other characters I've mentioned here.

:4diddy:I'm okay at him. I just feel like I can't really get the reward off him that I'm looking for.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
UPDATE: I'm now learning :4lucario: and I like the feeling of him. Even though I'm still a bit bad with his specials, I'm learning.

Three characters that I never plan to play because I can't are:

:4megaman: Even more projectile-heavy than Pac-Man, and when it comes to A attacks, I would rather have melee attacks. Couple that with almost no combo game and I'm instantly repelled.

:rosalina: Way too much micromanaging of Luma for me to get used to this late in the meta game's development. She also has laggier aerials than I expected, and her recovery, while far, can be hard to aim right and can be punished if you don't. Plus, my friends get angry at anyone who uses her because they think she's broken, and I can't learn a character in that environment.

:4olimar: Ugh...I'm never gonna bother touching this thing. If there were one Smash character I would remove, it would be him. I just can't seem to play him because there's even more micromanaging than for Rosalina with the Pikmin, but at the same time I can't deal with anyone who knows how to play him. A worst of both worlds.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
:4diddy:: All I can do with this guy is throwing nanas and grab
:4drmario:: Big fan of the games, no fan of fat Mario
:4duckhunt:: Traps, Ducks and no kills. It should be Duck Hunt, not "Duck You'll live till 180 when I kill you with a lost can."
:4greninja:: I love Water Pokémon and would love to rep #FrogCountry, but only one projectile feels weird as Pac-Main
:4tlink:: Fav video game character, doesn't click with me gameplaywise. Also no Deku Leaf makes me sad.
:4rob:: Feels so boring to me. Too much flowchart for me I guess. H00-H4H feels sweet though.

Top Bottom