• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's all about the upsmash people

TheHiveMind

Smash Cadet
You know it is. Lucas's upsmash just *****. It has an unbelievable reach, and great knockback and damage, definitely his best smash. It's best when you use it when he's dashing, and you add even more reach, and can catch another char di-ing away from you when they're above your head. I dont know if theres anything that can hit through this, i tried at my friends house for the first time today, and i found nothing in the 3 hours i played. Yar, so, my message to everyone is to not use upsmash, so i can **** all you guys...:laugh::laugh:

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Except the Upsmash is one of the laggiest moves if it misses. Throwing this out there is just inviting your opponent to dodge around it and punish you from the side.

Yes, it can be amazing for edgeguarding or pwning people who fall into you, but once your opponent knows the hitbox, they won't get hit by it often, in 1v1 at least.

coolguy75

Smash Cadet
doesn't the hitox of usmash reach to both sides, so they can't just roll around and punish you from the side (unless they have a disjointed hitbox)?

and ultimate stage-specific tech: on the ice stage of pokemon stadium 2, run across, and just as you start sliding on the ice usmash. lasts the length of the field and basically dominates everyone

random info but nice to use =)

Levitas

the moon
coolguy75, it's extrememly punishable because after it hits to both sides, they can just hit you with their strongest move (even Ik's fsmash) afterwards.

S623

Smash Apprentice
Being a Lucas mainer, I can tell you that it's a **** good move. Good range, extremely strong, and extremely laggy.

Interestingly enough, my friends say "Dude, stop spamming that ***** move." So I'll pick up the character they were using and beat them down with him. They say "It's so fast." And then they use it. And then I f-smash them with Ike. And then it's over.

spyk90

Smash Cadet
The only time I use Lucas' up-smash is during multiplayer matches. Whenever it comes to 1on1s, I tend to stay away from it.

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
usmash is satisfying to land but I would never ever use it unless I'm 95% sure I can land it. Even then, it's extremely risky because, as everyone else as been saying, it has some pretty bad lag. Personally I prefer fsmash, so **** fast and some nice killing potential.

TheHiveMind

Smash Cadet
It's great on stages with low-ish platforms like battlefeild where you can hit an opponent either on or falling onto a platform. I know it has crazy lag at the end, and cant hi that far on either side, but when are you using it for that anyways? The hitbox is nearly as big as Lucas himself, so it's kind of hard to miss an opponent above you unless youre playing sonic, cuz hes just like that.

Spyk90, i'd think that the end lag would make you want to use it less in multiplayer lol. When i was playing my friend yesterday, who owns brawl, it worked well on stages like battlefeild, defino, and the halberd. i would agree with you on certain stages, like fd, as there are no platorms to hit through, but it still is a nice smash overall.

When i played my friends pit, it was especially usefull because pit, with his multiple jumps, he was in the air a lot, so i used it a few times when he was at higher damages. i guess the same thing may apply to peach and MK. accualy, when i think about it, it would **** peach, since she would be in range most of the time during her float, and if she decides to start higher for floating to stay away form it, she wouldnt be able to attack you effectively.

GofG

Smash Champion
The Upsmash is the equivelent of Jiggly's rest.

If you can land it... land it. If you can't, don't try.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Remember, the most important thing is to not get hit.

But if ever you run into one of those dudes that smashes, dodges, smashes, dodges, just U-smash out of shield and it will hit them IN THE FACE too good

GenisSage

Smash Cadet
Yeah the Up-Smash is awesome but very laggy as others have stated. If u miss u gonna get hit. On 1v1 i use it but only once in a while kinda like last resort.

GofG

Smash Champion
If you can hit someone with it, do it. If you might not hit them, don't do it.

That is all that needs to be said about the upsmash.

coolguy75

Smash Cadet
So the hitboxes to the sides don't last as long as the hitbox on top?

How many hitboxes are there in his usmash?

GofG

Smash Champion
Mr. E, my point was that it is the kind of move where if you see an opening where you can definitely land it, then do.

Levitas

the moon
Think of it as a box shaped thing that starts off as a square then gets more flat as it moves upwards. Also, the area covered by the box stays the same. That's what I'm thinking Lucas's upsmash looks like in hitbox vision.

FD is life.

Smash Rookie
The best part about the hit box is the fact that it will hit the people under you and basically throw them into the air! Catch someone hanging on the edge or under you when you are on a low platform, it is my favorite part of the attack!!

Top Bottom