• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Items vs. No Items: A rambling essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I'm personally glad that the randomly exploding crates things forced items to be off. Using items takes skill, but not having items and thus having each character's moveset be completely unique lends a certain purity to the gameplay. Also, a static environment forces you to create variation in your playstyle yourself, whereas spawning items and stage changes sorta does it for you.

leefan

Smash Cadet
well, this is a very interesting topic. one thing that is constant, however, is that when you hear someone ask "why are items turned off?" you think "N00000000000000000B". Some people may argue that items are unfair advantages, but items do add diversity to the game. i personally dont support using items, especially the 1/8 chance of exploading crates, but luck is also a skill. For instance, in a match between identical sheiks, the winner of the match is pretty much determined by luck. due to the type of items available in melee though, itmes do give an unfair advantage. I hope to see some changes in brawl to even out item usage, since the smash ball would definitely be an item that would be awsome to use.

gnosis

Smash Lord
I'd be interested in seeing the results of a poll/debate in the MBR about items in Brawl.

The question being something along the lines of "If in Brawl, the player could turn off explosive crates/etc. like other items, do you think items would make it back into tournaments?"

Then with leaning yes, leaning no, etc. responses and discussion. Because some people say that's the only real problem with items, and I wonder if MBR agrees with that notion.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
**** items.

the concept of Luck should be dminished as much as possible.
To have some noob get lucky and make it to the finals of a tournament would be a disaster.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
but luck is also a skill.
It's the exact opposite of a skill, actually.

For instance, in a match between identical sheiks, the winner of the match is pretty much determined by luck.
Not if they have different starting locations. But anyway, what you said would be true for any character, but no two humans can play identically no matter how hard they try, so it doesn't really matter.

I'd be interested in seeing the results of a poll/debate in the MBR about items in Brawl.

The question being something along the lines of "If in Brawl, the player could turn off explosive crates/etc. like other items, do you think items would make it back into tournaments?"

Then with leaning yes, leaning no, etc. responses and discussion. Because some people say that's the only real problem with items, and I wonder if MBR agrees with that notion.
Most people have the opinion that we shouldn't ban anything outright out of the box.

peachori

Smash Journeyman
LOL @ 2002 thread...i started to read the first post until i was like o_O wtf this must be old. baseball is the thinking man's game btw. if you think its always clear what to do in baseball, you must be the worlds greatest catcher.

on topic: i think in brawl (and even in melee perhaps) you should be able to counterpick with items. since, i mean, a lot of the counterpick stages are based around picking a stage that gives you an advantage and if you feel comfortable with a certain item/items you should be able to enable them on your counterpick.

MVPaintballer

the lil d that could
personally i think some items give you a disadvantage lulz like beamsword with peach, i think the only thing useful about it is that its a ****ing strong projectile, but toher than that its slow and u cant use c-stick

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
I'm not sure that she actually loses skill with it, though; people haven't practiced using it, so it feels unnatural. It's a different and useful set of moves that a character gets with a sword item. On the other hand, items like Pokeballs are n00b-friendly in their randomness.

Number 1 DK

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't really matter anyway since in any legitimate tournament items will be off, whether or not you're the best player in the world when items are turned on.

gnosis

Smash Lord
Most people have the opinion that we shouldn't ban anything outright out of the box.
I figured, but there wouldn't be anything new to judge. Barring some new item megaton development yet to be revealed, we already know what items are like. There wouldn't be much to wait and see about - other than what specific items would be on/off.

The real point of the poll is whether or not random deaths from explosives dropping into attacks is the only real thing keeping items from being playable, as quite a few people claim. I think people could make that call currently, but if it's an annoyance, just change 'Brawl' to 'Melee'.

Edit: Not that I'm telling you to go post the poll ASAP, I'm just clarifying what I meant in that last sentence.

Twillight

Smash Rookie
Why are these items such a big deal, if you play with them then go ahead, if you don't then dont play with them on, besides, in tournament play they either should be off are going too be off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom