• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Items are horribly frustrating in single player

Kietharr

Smash Cadet
I really wish you could turn them off, there's a reason I don't use them in brawl mode. Same thing with gimmick stages like 75m and the Mario one. A few examples:

1. Playing 100 man brawl going for the finish it in under four minutes challenge (standard DK down B spam takes too long) using Ike, all going well until the last minute, I have 230% damage on me accumulated mostly from the three other characters that had been throwing items at me while I was surrounded by alloys for the past duration. I get to the last 10 with 65 seconds to spare and get happy, using Aether spam to kill them off without being killed. Out of nowhere the final character, Ike, spawns and an assist trophy spawns right after he does. I'm in the middle of killing the last alloy so I'm too far away to kill him. He uses it, Shadow comes out, I'm slowed down midair doing my Aether and he comes and kills me after I land, I was too slow to dodge.

2. Also going for the 100 man 4 minute challenge, as Ike with 95% damage on me I hit the last 15 enemies which is awesome because I usually take much more damage, go to use up smash on an alloy who spawned on a platform above me, a gooey bomb appears next to me and my upsmash hits it on the backstroke, throwing me too far off of the edge to recover.

3. Playing through Intense classic mode with Gannondorf, I hit 75m against Donkey and Diddy with Mario as an ally. Mario is useless and dies 30 seconds into the fight from a fireball. I have four stock at this point, here is how I lost them all to the stage and items

I. Fireball bounced me into springs at the top, sending me flying to my death.
II. Jumping towards Diddy, he knocks me up towards the springs, I dodge them but find my only landing point has a fireball on it, get bounced back up into springs and die.
III. Climbing a ladder when a home run bat spawns on the platform above me, Donkey jumps over, grabs it, uses giant punch on me to knock me across the stage, throws the bat at me, ALMOST killing me, then as I desperately try to recover I'm hit by a fireball and get tossed off screen.
IV. Diddy killed himself with a jetpack misfire, DK was at over 100% damage, I went to finish DK with an elbow on the top level and BAM springs appear again, miraculously the first one misses DK and hits me, knocking me back into the stage's DK, killing me.

Seriously, was Melee or 64 EVER this bad? Maybe it's just my bad luck but I'm starting to think it CAN'T just be me. Feel free to share your horribly frustrating deaths due to stage hazards/items.

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
Items just add needless difficulty to single player modes. You're good enough to win without items so you don't need them, but they're on and they'll screw you out of wins you could have had. Take for example what's pissing me off: tripping in intense boss mode. Some of those attacks are just about one hit KOs, are very huge, and stay out forever. Invincibility frames don't protect you from those. You trip, you die.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
I didn't read all you said TC, but I agree with you. Almost all of my losses are related to items in the single player. I admit, some of my wins have been because of them too. They are fine in SSE and classic mode, but event matches and multi man brawl, they are awful.

jimmy4265

Smash Rookie
I agree on some levels, but not others.

Items during 100 man brawl, events, etc. are plain dumb and should be taken out for the next smash bros.

In SSE, items were pretty bad as well.

But, i dunno, I sorta like them in classic mode.

Plus, they're plain more fun in vs.

ropep0202

Smash Cadet
I have to admit it would be nicer to have less items. They always just end up getting in the way.
I always end up smashing into smart bombs or bomb-ombs and such.

TempestFunk

Smash Cadet
being good at the game without items =/= being good at the game with items.

Yes, Items can screw you over. But if you play smart you can use them to your advantage more often than not

Warskull

Smash Rookie

Yes, Items can screw you over. But if you play smart you can use them to your advantage more often than not
No, a lot of these modes would be a heck of a lot easier without items. Yes, most of the time you can use items to your advantage. However, you don't need the help from items most of the time. The problem is items are very random and over time will produce those situations where you are just royally screwed (a bomb spawns right as you were about to land an attack, a hammer spawns right next to your enemy, ect.) A lot of the challenges are based on beating a long stage with no continues and a single death in all-star or multi-man brawls ends things. So it only takes one piece of bad luck to ruin a good run.

The problem isn't most items either, it is usually the various bombs and sometimes hammers. The stuff has potential to KO you almost immediately.

Attractive Penguin

Smash Apprentice
tbh, I've never had a problem with bombs in multi-man. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I see them spawning and if they're anywhere near me, I just roll away and keep on going.

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
The day before Brawl came out, I turned items on in Melee and played a match. I got killed in that first match by a bomb dropping in front of my smash attack. Same stuff happens in Brawl all the time. But the point is, we can all beat the CPU. I'm convinced the reason we can't turn items off in 1-player modes is to make the stuff harder overall by ensuring we lose some lives to random deaths.

NorrYtt

Smash Cadet
It's just luck. If you want to play a skill game, switch to Chess. Also, you don't remember all your good luck item drops, it's the terrible rolls that stick in your brain past the time they are on the screen.

The 5th Horseman

Smash Ace
Very true. I could do without items in single player, but I have won because of them as well. Lost a lot more then won, so the bad outweighs the good lol.

blooagga

Smash Journeyman
yeah my first time on 100 man brawl, I was on the last enemy which was a metaknight I think and I went in for a fair and a bomb spawned right where I was attacking and i died

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Items are a part of the game.
Where you can't turn them off, you live with them.
Such is life!

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Happened to me in 100 Man Brawl AND All-Star mode, both as Lucario...I got DESTROYED by Bob-ombs both times when they randomly spawned on top of me...it's the worst in 100-Man because you THINK it's best to stay in one place and let them come to you...and then you blow up because of a stray bomb that appears right on you.........

Rebel581

Smash Champion
There are more random explosions in this game. Items are more frustrating in this game than Melee. Although that's not to say they weren't frustrating there too.

Niblet

Smash Cadet
Items are very frustrating. They have messed up a lot of challenge runs for me. Whether it is a smash into a goey bomb, a random golden hammer or trophy or even a smash ball which I choke on and miss. And lets not forget the randomness in stages. Getting hyper beamed by Dialga in Sky Pillar when your in the center of the bottom area on a no continuation All-Star run is very aggravating.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I haven't had much bad experience with Brawl, but I do remember how terribly annoying the 15 minute Multi Man Melee was... It was always said that the DK method was a for sure win, but it'd always be those last 5 seconds where a bomb would appear out of nowhere and send me flying.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
It was always bad for me trying to go through Very Hard mode in Melee without getting hit (No Damage Clear), and a crate would appear above you and deal about 10% damage to you from landing on you.

Same thing happens to me though. I was also Ike-ing through 15-minute melee, and around minute 11 I decide, just once, to be fancy and use my neutral B. Lo and behold as soon as I start charging it, an explosive crate appears RIGHT in front of me. No alloys bothered attacking me to cancel it, and I exploded.

dingostar29

Smash Rookie
They are annoying though. Especially the bomb-ombs and exploding capsules.

So, I'm battling my friend (Ike vs. R.O.B.)(we both have 1 stock left, percentages are over 150) and I smack him across the stage exactally when a smash ball appears over my head. I use aether, I get a final smash, I start charging at R.O.B., I use the final smash. Guess what happens... I smack a bomb-omb as soon as I use it.

HYPER-MAN

Smash Rookie
somehow, ALL the explosives come at the end of 100 man or even timed ones.
Also, on a side note, anyone here when playing 1 player on vs. mode get a cpu's final smash personally? Like meta knight waiting and ONLY wants to get you with it.

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
What I think I hate most is having curry active and then an explosive crate or other explosive device spawns right in front of you. There is literally no moment of recognition like you have when your smash attack is following through on its animation, you see the item fall in front of you, and recognize that you're going to die. No, it just happens and you have your moment of recognition after it's happened.

You have just admitted that only hardcore people play with items.
Keep dreaming, bud.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman

The problem there is that in single player, the risk vs. reward of items is stacked against you horribly. Let's say I'm playing All-Star Mode. If I get lucky one round and a Golden Hammer spawns right next to me, my reward is a free win on one round (a round that I most likely would have won on my own anyway) and I move onto the next with, perhaps, a little less damage on me. If I get unlucky the next round, and the enemy gets a free Golden Hammer, my penalty is that I lose EVERY round, past and future, because I got a game over. No amount of item-savvy makes up for this. Your life is worth too much more than one enemy's life.

Cheesedork

Smash Apprentice
I know what you mean. I hate it when I die to something stupid like a bumper or a Bob-omb in All-Star. but as far as stage gimmicks go, the only one that's ever given me trouble is the bomb cannons on Pirate Ship.
Augh, I also hate it when a Golden Hammer spawns, you knock your opponent away, tap A next to it until it is grabbable, but at the last second, the comp (Sonic...) rushes in and grabs it fight in front of your nose. AUGH!
Ok, that only happened once, but still.

Also, Explosive Crates and Bob-ombs are such an enormous unnusiense (sp?) when capturing Boss trophies >_<

Gan

Smash Rookie
somehow, ALL the explosives come at the end of 100 man or even timed ones.
Also, on a side note, anyone here when playing 1 player on vs. mode get a cpu's final smash personally? Like meta knight waiting and ONLY wants to get you with it.
I've noticed this too, especially when the computer gets the Dragoon. Even if there is a cluster of the other CPU's that can easily be hit, they aim for the human player. It gets annoying after a while, moving around the stage to try to avoid getting hit by the Dragoon.

Puffs

Smash Ace
If you haven't noticed, the whole point of single-player difficulty isn't the AI, it's the item spawns.

The items are TRYING to screw you over. You should easily recognize this if you've ever played through All Star on any difficulty.

Do you want a challenge, or do you want them to just hand you that trophy out of pity?

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
I'll take the pity trophy as I find All-Star very boring and am rushing through it on Easy with every character to get their trophies so I never have to play that boring mode ever again.

Trozz

Smash Ace
I hate it when explosives spawn right next to you when you are in the middle of an attack. It's also bloody annoying when imba items spawn in front of your enemies. Blah. They take away from the skill of the game and feed it in to luck.

Items are only practical when you're playing against your friends (who are worse than you at the game) and the random factor of items sometimes swings in their favor. For most single player modes and for competitive 1v1s, items are just annoying.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
Darn those bombs... cost me several 100 multi-man brawl matches.

Magikarp

Smash Cadet
Only items i hate are Golden Hammers and Pokeballs.

Whenever i get a gold hammer, it's ALWAYS squeaky. Whenever CPUs get them i die.
Same with pokeballs. I always get Goldeen, and they always get Latios or some other good one.

MechManiac

Smash Rookie
I think we should stop complaining about it, it is part of the game. Although I do admit that bombs are very annoying during All-Star mode. And Golden Hammers and Gooey Bombs are the only items I don't like... when they are used against me.;)

Top Bottom