• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It would be a "Sin" to not have him as an assist trophy...

The Director

Smash Lord
Never played Sin and Punishment...the more I think about it, the more I like this character's inclusion tho. It makes me feel good that Sakurai's atleast trying to appease fans' every single little appetite, even if this means limiting certain characters to ATs.

I mean come on. 2nd party? That's awesome. Didn't see that one coming. (accept that I knew about it from E for All, but I didn't know it was 2nd party)

Hong

The Strongest
Never played Sin and Punishment...the more I think about it, the more I like this character's inclusion tho. It makes me feel good that Sakurai's atleast trying to appease fans' every single little appetite, even if this means limiting certain characters to ATs.

I mean come on. 2nd party? That's awesome. Didn't see that one coming. (accept that I knew about it from E for All, but I didn't know it was 2nd party)
This isn't the first second party character people. D:

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
It is actually owned by Game Freak. Game Freak is a second party to Nintendo.
In actuality, there has been a new company since I believe the Stadium games, called the Pokémon Company.

Doesn't take away that the Pokémon Company is still second party.

EDIT: Also, the moment I saw his name and the yellow item category color on my DS, I figured it was Sin & Punishment.

KiddyDong

Smash Cadet
After playing 13 games of Pokemon (gba), I'm PRETTY sure Pikachu is 2nd party, I still didnt get that joke on the first page at first t hough ;P

Never played this game, but you cant say he doesnt look badaass

bob-bomber

Smash Cadet
whoa if you put a "chalenger aproaching" at the top it would look just like a character update(with out the 4 pictures at the bottom) he's a good assist trophy!

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Erm, there were many requests for his inclusion? I've never even heard of this character? If this is true, then Ridley and Megaman should be in for sure! I'm positive that Megaman and Ridley are wanted WAY MORE than this character.

KiddyDong

Smash Cadet
In actuality, there has been a new company since I believe the Stadium games, called the Pokémon Company.

Doesn't take away that the Pokémon Company is still second party.

EDIT: Also, the moment I saw his name and the yellow item category color on my DS, I figured it was Sin & Punishment.
There are 3 companies that own pokemon.

Actually, The Pokemon Company is just an affiliate of Nintendo created to market and advertise the pokemon series. I.E the tcg, toys, etc. They are not actual game developers, they dont own Pokemon and is basically Nintendos market and advertising department for pokemon.

Creatures Inc is a toy company that creates the TCG (they made the Earthbound series under the name Ape,Inc).

Game Freak makes the portable games (red,blue,silverruby,diamond,etc) They own 1/3 of the copyright to pokemon ( the other two thirds evenly seperated over Nintendo and Creatures)

Genius Sonority was funded by the Pokemon Comapny and Capcom, they can only make games on the home consoles.

Hopefully this clears anything up

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
He rivals just about any main character. There were many requests from users for his inclusion, and he IS pretty cool, so I did what I could to include him. After all, this game does let you enjoy a dream cast of supporting characters!
Sakurai has a lot of nerve to say that. I wasn't expecting Saki to be anything other than AT status to begin with so I shouldn't be surprised or too pissed off but the fact that Sakurai said THAT of all things just really grinds my gears. He looks like an awesome character to play as so WHY NOT MAKE HIM PLAYABLE? This really puts a hamper on my hopes for Issac from Golden Sun.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I like these kinds of ATs. After seeing this update, I am sure Sukapon will be an AT as well.

KoopaKoot

Smash Apprentice
Erm, there were many requests for his inclusion? I've never even heard of this character? If this is true, then Ridley and Megaman should be in for sure! I'm positive that Megaman and Ridley are wanted WAY MORE than this character.
Sin and punishment never got released abroad because of the N64's death, so it's only like likely that you wouldn't know who he is. Me on the other hand, heard about the game before it got released, only to be crushed with sadness after hearing it wasn't coming out. :(

But I've got it on VC so I'm happy now. :)

Remember what Sakurai said about not only including characters popular in Japan? I guess he can include them as assist trophies.

DeChTu

Smash Apprentice
I had to go to bed early, but I told my girlfriend to call me if a character was announced. So she calls me as soon as the update surfaces and I get excited, and she tells me that Saki, the main character from Sin and Punishment was announced. I was intrigued, so I spent part of the night imagining the coolness that would ensue, then I wake up, only to find out that he was an assist, I guess she can't tell that there wasn't a gradient background, oh well. He still makes a cool assist trophy.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
One of the better assist trophies I've seen so far, but Sakurai...you and your mindgames...

Y'know, I'm sure some people are hating him right now for comments like, "He rivals just about any main character. There were many requests from users for his inclusion, and he IS pretty cool, so I did what I could to include him."

Just...no.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I guess she can't tell that there wasn't a gradient background,
Or she did it for the lulz...

I've never even heard of this thing before now, and it was supposed to be frequently requested?
And it's supposed to be a dude? HOW? It even has boobs! I am seriously afraid of Japan.

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
*another one bites the dust playing in the background*
*crosses off another hopeful to AT'dom*
Oh well at least he acknowledges these characters, besides I personally think the nicely rendered character AT's stand a good chance for the next Smash Bros.
Either way though they definitely made Saki into a cool AT.
Sakurai has been pretty mocking lately with AT updates, what with saying "Almost makes you wish he was playable" or "He fits right in!" I hope stops with that.

kaydon_esker

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I'd never even heard of Sin and Punishment before and when I heard that Saki was an AT, initially I thought - who? Seeing this update, I kind of wish that Saki had been playable...maybe I'll try and download Sin and Punishment. Can anyone tell me what it's like?

serosfan

Smash Apprentice
LOLOLOL. I've read many an article about publishers getting the rights to a game (and thus have more power to tell developers - who generally know how to make good games, publishers don't and aren't supposed to - what to do and how to make a game), generally because they provide the money to produce it so the rights is one of the ways they make a return on thier money. There's work being done to change that, but from what I've read in official sources (GI for sure, possibly on Gamasutra as well), publishers generally get the rights. It's not an exception - it's the general rule of thumb.
The publisher will only keep the rights to an Original IP or characters in a game if the contract states so. I know this from many an hour of hard research to find the rights status of characters.

Another example, if I must provide it, is the fact that Monolith still retains all rights to Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos. Many people were pulling things out of their ***, like Namco Bandai still owning Xenosaga, while Monolith gets Baten Kaitos. However, due to their contract, or lack of, Monolith still retains Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos, which are now Nintendo properties due to their majority stake in Monolith.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
To be honest, I'd never even heard of Sin and Punishment before and when I heard that Saki was an AT, initially I thought - who? Seeing this update, I kind of wish that Saki had been playable...maybe I'll try and download Sin and Punishment. Can anyone tell me what it's like?
Think Starfox.... with lots and lots of enemies on screen.... and a sword.

Another one cut down in his prime. I was waiting for this update, since we never got a video on him. In the end, this was kind of nice.

.:Alex:.

Smash Cadet
Super Smash Master said:
That's a pretty hot chick ;D
It's a man.
Win.

But actually I was pleasantly surprised to see this update, as I love Sin & Punishment. It's a brilliant game. Thankfully Saki looks much less pointy than he did in that game, which is obviously a good thing. He could have killed someone with those limbs...

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Well, I can't really complain about this update, considering it's neither old (Well, SORT of. We never saw the AT in any videos, though) nor obvious (EX: Classic Mode). As any Brawl related thing does, this makes me want to go and buy Sin & Punishment on VC. Eh...

It seems like Sakurai quips on almost EVERY Assist Trophy not being playable now. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. :p Mr. Resetti complaining about it FTW.

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
im glad hes not in i dont think he would of fit in well, all assist trophies sakurai tried to make a character but something went wrong so obviously he didnt see fit

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Sounds like a cool assist trophy, I wonder how well it dose for locking on and attacking someone or dose it just slash away wildly?

Also, I'm sorry but I need to post this just so people can avoid the same mistake I made...

Warning: To everyone who owns a Wii, there is a danger in Downloading "Check Mii Out" and using to program! I can no longer use any of my Wii or Gamecube games! It can no longer read these disks! Please do not download "Check Mii Out" until this problem has been fixed!
hmm. sorry. you should probably just stop cramming cheez-its in the disc slot. : \ this didnt happen to me.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
It's funny, many people thought he was a girl! :p

Again, something we already knew from E for All, but it IS pretty cool.

Spellman

Smash Ace
"Almost makes you wish he was playable!" I don't see anything wrong with saying that. At least it gives a definitive answer to him not being playable. And he's human. I make jokes and mock people all the time, it's funny.

I think we can expect a high level of detail from the majority of Assist Trophies, it just fits the game.

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
It's going to be hilarious to watch all the Ridley fans and R.I.D.L.E.Y. go insane once Sakurai deconfirms Ridley :laugh:

Ontopic: This update is awesome for me. It makes up for, like, half of the crappy updates we've had in the past few weeks. I'm a big fan of Sin and Punishment, and not because of the Virtual Console version. I played it long before the VC release. In fact, I don't even have a good enough ISP to connect my Wii to the internet, so I couldn't get it if I wanted to (which I do :()I was hoping Saki would be playable, but he's in the game at least, so I'm happy :)

Speak for yourself, saw this in a video already.
What?! Where?! Link please!

Top Bottom